move to P3D

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Re: move to P3D

Post by shortspecialbus »

dvm wrote:But forgive me I am a little skeptical that your P3D looks worlds better than FSX with DX10. Orbx scenery is after all Orbx scenery as is FlyTampa. Good to here that your effort and expense was worth it for you and you are enjoying P3D. When it becomes necessary for me to start over I will very likely consider P3D. Thanks for sharing your experience with P3D.
Yeah, I can understand your skepticism. It's a combination of PTA (P3D Tweak Assistant) mucking with shaders, volumetric fog, better shadows than you can get with the DX10 Fixer, HDR, better detailed draw distance, significantly increased autogen, dynamic reflections, dynamic lighting, etc. Basically P3Dv4 takes advantage of a lot of more modern video card capabilities. FSX with the DX10 fixer looked amazing when I was still using it, but P3D has looked significantly better since v3. It's one of those things you kind of need to see to understand. You could probably find YouTube comparisons, but I wouldn't go looking since there'd be a risk of planting a seed of unhappiness with what you have now ;)

If you're not buried in OOMs like I was, it's time consuming and expensive to switch. But the payoff is definitely there.

Happy flights!

-stefan

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

After years of experience with FSX I have it working so well, and looking so good with DX10 and the scenery fixer with cloud shadows, plus getting into FSUIPC that I am having a hard time convincing myself to go to P3D4.1.

My system is old and pretty good, but far from top of the line. I only fly A2A and I stay away from big cities so I can't say that I see much value in going to P3D just yet.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

I have made the move to P3Dv4.1 and am very pleased. Took a while to make the switch and get set up to my liking, but it’s working well now. I found with FSX I spent far more time tweaking than flying. Now I get better frame rates, no OOM’s and if I want to fly through New York or LA I can without the whole thing grinding to a halt. All this with the same computer!
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Great to hear thunder! Yeah it is nice being able to fly as long as I want through any scenery I want without worrying about the sim crashing to a halt. :lol: It is funny because flying FSX for the first time in awhile last week just to fly the Mustang all of my anxiety came back with every stutter or short freeze that I was going to get the dreaded CTD. It is such a great time to be in the hobby. Just killing me waiting for all of the A2A masterpieces to be converted, but all great things take time. At least we still have them for FSX in the mean time.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I have now found that one of the main advantages of P3D (and a new rig) is that I can finally fly easily over photoreal terrain. As much as I like the ORBX scenery, it still does not look right to me in most cases. Under FSX I sometimes had to wait for long, long times for the scenery to load, but now it's quick, no stutters and extends easily to the horizon, even when going fast of flying formations:

now, a big formation of B-17's would be nice, but that doesn't work (yet) somehow...
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

I went out and bought a monster PC and made the switch to P3D v4. Im using PTA, ORBX, ENVTEX and of course started to rebuild my A2A hanger. Overall I am really impressed and definitely an improvement on my old FSX setup. Nice to know that OOM is a thing of the past and I can do some longer trips. Only thing that is driving me nuts is the stuttering I am getting. I can have quite high FPS but the stutters can destroy immersion so quickly. Hoping I can smooth things out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”