p-51d or p-40c?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
KotatehFox
Senior Airman

p-51d or p-40c?

Post by KotatehFox »

im debating on the p-40 or the p-51, both look great...i would just get em both if i could afford it lol..the p-40 is a favorite of mine but i hear the p-51d is alot more fun! i just wish i knew what a2a was releasing next...i can only afford one a2a bird so...would be nice to know if its something up my alley or not
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Re: p-51d or p-40c?

Post by aonyn »

I have both, love both, but honestly I spend more time with the p-40 myself.

When I was making the same decision, another member said to me something like, the p-51 is like a high power sports car, the p-40 is like an old willy's jeep. (or also I have heard the p-40 is like a Harley Davidson).

How true these descriptions turned out to be. Maybe this will help you decide a little easier which one fits you better :)

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Eventually you will end up getting all three. :mrgreen: Yes, three - A2A P-51D has two models - military and a civilian version. :wink:
I have the civilian Mustang so far - amazing plane, very demanding to master but very joyful to fly at the same time.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Add to that, he shared this with me, and said if this is you, the p-40 is your ride :)
Again, turned out he was spot on.
https://youtu.be/40t6ys8pgNo
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

i dotn care too mucha bout the civ mustang, ill admit it does look nice but i like the old warbirds haha..and the p-40c is actually one of my fav warbirds ever built, so theres that..plus warthunder just released a p40c! too bad they are using the wrong cockpit which drives me nuts...but im barely able to afford one haha..im jobless so that sucks but in all honesty i am really torn between the two, the p-40 is a fav of mine but i like the mustang as well and have gotten the chance to get up clsoe and personal with a real mustang
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

ok, yea wild bill..thats me when flying! haha
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Well, then the choice is clear my friend :)

Regards,
Dave

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

im known for...landing on makeshift runways...that i make...
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hehe, and I have to confess, the map scene rung true for me as well.

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

now, the question is...is there a discount or something floating out there or something? XD i totally missed the Christmas sale sadly and not having a job, buying an accusim bird is a rare treat for me
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Unfortunately I can't help you there. Good luck though :)

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

nah its fine lol im gonna buy it tomorrow morning i think and start training on it, shes a great aircraft from what history says lol
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Not sure where this P-51 being more fun bit comes from! I have the civvie 'stang, and I know it's going to be more clinical than the original... it doesn't have the soul that the P-40 has. I love a Merlin as much as the next guy, but there is a certain satisfaction with getting the Allison started with it's wind up starter.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Each will keep you busy but in a different way. They have different startup procedures and I personally find the P-40's more gratifying. The radiator, flaps and landing gear are more 'hands on' than the P-51's. The P-40 feels more stable in flight to me than the Mustang, at least in the climb, and easier to land -- however, I've had more belly landings in the P-40 than I care to admit (because of my own negligence). All in all, each is different enough to fit alternate moods but I have lately been enjoying the P-40 almost exclusively.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

just thought i would let you know that a friend helped me pick up the p-40 so now i do have both..lol turns out he owed me a favor...
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”