Tips for returning to flight after holidays

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
crippy
Staff Sergeant

Tips for returning to flight after holidays

Post by crippy »

From the holidays and time away, it has been over a month since my last flight. I've toyed around here and there with my new Connie and the B-17 but nothing more than engine start procedures.

I was just curious to hear what tips / routines you all go through when you haven't flown in a very long time.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Tips for returning to flight after holidays

Post by AKar »

I just take a relatively simple flight and take it slow. I want to have a moment to think about what I am doing before executing any phase of flight. Forming a picture in my mind of what's going to happen. In the simulator, the 'P'-key is your friend, if necessary (often it is not, and one forgets its existence). I've noted that I actually fly better in the sim (in terms of basic handling) after a pause of several months due to this regeneration of flying touch than I would do without. Continuously flowing tasks, such as 'muscle memory' don't seem to fade much at all; the reason to take time when returning is to recollect how various procedural tasks were accomplished, what were the important figures and so on. The discrete, step-by-step things are what one easily forgets, or loses proficiency in. Luckily, there aren't that much of those in most GAs.

-Esa

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

“When you haven’t flown in a while?”

What do you mean? You mean from one day to the next? That doesn’t worry me too much. Or are we talking about *gasp!* several days? Now that is a gruesome concept. ;)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Medtner wrote:Or are we talking about *gasp!* several days? Now that is a gruesome concept. ;)
I checked it has been near seven months since I last did any real flight in FSX/P3D. :( I've only been refreshing on DCS, for twelve hours in total, for it is easy and simple to keep up to date.

It has been a few years since I last flew a glider in real world. A some more with any Piper Cessna. Next summer - I will again. Enough of backburner status.

-Esa

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I assume you are referring to flying the sim. If that is the case just go for it your not going to die or break anything for real. :lol:

Remeber "Birds can fly because they take themselves lightly"!

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I used to go through a whole refresh routine when I would take periodic breaks from the sim. However I have so much time in the sim, and on the certain aircraft I fly that getting back in the saddle is almost second nature. Get a little dusty and botch maybe a start or 2, and the landing may not be very pretty. Most of the other stuff though I am fairly confident in. Helps too though I suppose working on helicopters in real life. So even if I am not flying in sim I am still interacting with pilots and doing aircraft maintenance. So aviation is still at the forefront of my brain whether I am simming or not. :mrgreen:
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Add +10 lbs. to your pilot's weight to account for holiday feasting. ;)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Mithras
Airman First Class

Post by Mithras »

Sometimes when work is hectic (I work from home 3 days a week) I have to miss a day or two. If course when I'm on holiday (US = vacation) all I do is dream of flying on the sim! I'd be climbing the walls of I couldn't fly for a week or more. It is sheer joy, relief, relaxation, excitement, wonder and a challenge - all in one.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

total check, pre-flight and then get up and go 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”