MFG Crosswind pedals brake issue

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

MFG Crosswind pedals brake issue

Post by dvm »

I am starting a new thread in regards to the problems discussed in the "New rudder pedals - learning how to fly all over again" http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=62614 .
For those that are having a intermittent brake loss problem and those that are considering buying the MFG pedals I have some info that could be helpful. In my communications with MFG's Milan I have learned a few things. For those that are having issues it sounds like in a few cases there is a defective brake cable shipped with the older pedals. There is a new revision cable addressing this problem being installed on all current production so if you decide to purchase the pedals you should not have this issue. Milan states that there have only been a handful that have contacted him with this problem (6000+ units shipped). For those that own the pedals and are having this problem there is a fairly simple test. I first would unplug and plug in the connector a couple of times to make sure the connector is clean and secure. I would then proceed with the following test to determine if you have a defective cable. With the pedals connected to your system Open the MFG Configurator software and take a look at the X or Y axis readout depending on which brake is giving you trouble. Without any brake pedal deflection you should see a readout of 4096. Crank in some brake and watch the appropriate axis readout the number should get smaller as you crank in brake deflection. Now crank in and hold some brake while wiggling the cable a inch or two back from the plug. If the number returns to 4096 while wiggling the cable with the pedal deflected you are having a disconnect and you very likely have a defective cable. If wiggling the cable does not cause a disconnect then the cable is not the problem. If you are having the disconnect I would then contact MFG and tell them of your problem and as in my case they will probably ship you a new set of the new style cables. I am still convinced that these are the best performing and constructed pedals for the money out there and if you already own them they well worth repairing if necessary.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Re: MFG Crosswind pedals brake issue

Post by shortspecialbus »

Thanks for the detailed explanation and diagnosis steps! I haven't had this problem with mine, but I'll try to remember this thread if I ever do.

-stefan

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

This is some good information. I've been looking into these myself lately. Is there any yoke, that stands up to this type of quality? I currently have a CH Yoke, nothing wrong with it I love it but I just don't know if there are any others like the quality of the MFG's here.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Crippy,

look at this.. they will become availble soon.

http://flyhoneycomb.com/

and then of course this one... but you see the price.

https://www.virtual-fly.com/de/shop/controls/yoko

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

crippy wrote:This is some good information. I've been looking into these myself lately. Is there any yoke, that stands up to this type of quality? I currently have a CH Yoke, nothing wrong with it I love it but I just don't know if there are any others like the quality of the MFG's here.
PFC Yokes are amazing. They're incredibly expensive, and their customer support is geared towards corporate customers and can be a bit dismissive of non-corporate customers, in my personal experience, but their yokes simply cannot be beat. I have a 737 yoke with the Hall sensors and I absolutely love it. However, if I were to get it again, I'd get the Saab yoke. Better size, more buttons, way cheaper. At the time I was looking for a more 737-type cockpit.

-stefan

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

From what I’ve heard the Yoko yoke seem to be the one that has the same quality and precision that the MFGs has. I seriously considered the Yoko, but decided to go all the way with the Brunner CLS-E force feedback yoke. I couldn’t be happier. But the yoke is sphincter-winkingly expensive, so it is only crazy people like me who gets them.
The MFGs are fantastic, and I’m confident that the Yoko is too.

An aside. Getting very good rudders and yoke will make the flying more fun and precise. Nothing is worse than being about to nail a landing, only to be hindered by sticky rudder pedals or the gruesome center detent in the yoke.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

This is some great information here, thank you all very much!
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

A follow up on my brake issue and repair. I received the updated brake cables from MFG a while back and replaced the troublesome left brake cable. The cable has the transistor soldered on one end. So you are not just replacing the cable but the transistor as well. It is fairly simple requiring the removal of two bolts to access the transistor. Take a look at part two of the video if you are planning this fix. One thought on the cable/transistor replacement. The transistor is glued in place and must be removed to facilitate the fix.The video says to use a screw driver to pry the old transistor out of the recess. I tried this and could not get under the device to break it loose. I finally used an awl which got it done and yes the transistor will be destroyed in the process. It took a couple of weeks to get the new cables from Croatia but my intermittent brake is no more. I am lazy and only changed the offending left brake and will replace the right side if it becomes a problem down the road (runway). If it ain't broke don't fix it applied here. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbOAXS3Uefk

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

For those of you like me who are afflicted by the "I gots to know syndrome" here is your answer. My latest post got me to wondering what exactly was wrong with the cable so I did some surgery and removed the shrink tubing from the connector (female plug) and found my problem. One of the crimped on female sockets was loose which caused a intermittent connection when you put strain on the cable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto[/youtube]

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Curious to know if anyone with this issue has done the trouble shooting and then pursued the fix. " I gots to know" !

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”