Intel processors compatability

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jayvee43
Airman

Intel processors compatability

Post by jayvee43 »

Well guys, I tried to upgrade my PC (CPU) myself. I took out my I5-6400 CPU out and I replaced it with a I3-8350K and installed it very carefully, it did not seem to work. I put the old CPU back in. It worked. I guess this brings me to another question all together. IS it my motherboard? I took out an i5-xxxx and tried updating with an i3_xxxx. Did I do something wrong??? I simply followed a friend's suggestion on this site. Yikes!!!!

Jesse

How do I know what type of CPU is compatible with my motherboard? or is there a way to know?

addman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Intel processors compatability

Post by addman »

You are lucky not to have damaged the motherboard and hopefully you have not damaged the i3-8350k. The i3-8350k is an 8th gen CPU and only fits in, atm, Z370 motherboards. The i5-6400 is a 6th gen CPU and only fits 6th or 7th gen motherboards (h110, B150, b250, z170, z270 etc.). You should at least do some basic research before purchasing and installing a new CPU. For instance, ask the retailer or seller you buy the CPU from what type of motherboard is compatible with said CPU. Consider yourself lucky if that i3-3850k isn't damaged since it uses a different power delivery method than earlier gen Intel CPU's.
Cheers!/Andreas

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I don't know where the line is but from what I have been told later CPU's and motherboards won't run Win 7. They need Win 10.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

bullfox wrote:I don't know where the line is but from what I have been told later CPU's and motherboards won't run Win 7. They need Win 10.
That is the least of the problems here. As the previous poster said, it's flat out incompatible and damage to something could easily have occurred. I'm surprised it was the same form factor for the socket, even, although I haven't kept up to see if they've continued with the old 'safeties' they used to use to prevent incorrect CPUs going into the socket.

OP: you're going to either need a new motherboard or to try to sell the new processor to someone. You might be able to return it, but since it's opened (and inserted into an incompatible motherboard with different voltages/etc), you may not have much luck unless you got it from Amazon or somewhere else with a very liberal return policy.

-stefan

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

You can always check intel's official site to see what socket the processor is

https://ark.intel.com/products/126689/I ... e-4_00-GHz

It may be half way down the page, but you can then look at motherboards that only have that socket type.

Example this processor supports only FCLGA1151 socket type. So I would then go and filter my motherboard search to only boards with the FCLGA1151 socket type.

You can also use a highly recommended site such as PC part picker, that will ensure compatibility between processor and motherboard and ram along with everything else.

http://pcpartpicker.com/
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Having in the past bent pins myself, seems like a reasonable possibility that the OP has bent pins on the processor. After my previous post I was hoping some one would follow along with some info on Win 7/win 10 hardware split.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

jayvee43
Airman

Post by jayvee43 »

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Yes it is very frustrating for a new-be to make a mistake like this one. I was sure I had done my homework and I verified the socket type. My I5-6400 CPU is a socket type FCLGA1151. This new I3-8350K is also a FCLGA1151 type.

I never read anything in my reviews/research on this new CPU that indicated any real difference as long as the socket type was the same type. Now I am reading everyone's comments and it says there is a different Generation.
Why on earth would Intel geniuses make it that it can fit a different voltage socket if it is KEYED the same?

I just don't get it. In any event. I am returning it back. (If I can) and If not, it was a learned lesson. I'd like to caution others who also are thinking of upgrading their PC's to ask more questions. I learned the hard way but again I'm used to that.

What generation is my current I5-6400 and what replacement CPU should I look for in that generation and socket type for a 4 GHZ or faster.
Lets face it. If the future of Flight simulation is 64 bit and 6 or 8 cores I'd like to invest in that type of PC.

Thanks again guys. I love this community and these forums. :wink:

Jesse

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Ok, WoW, i too am surprise no damage happened! I’m gonna do a Tl;Dr..

CPU Gen need to be matched with socket/chipset Gen..

We are up to about 8th gens of Intel core cpu now..

Ex.. 4xxx cpu with z97 chipsets, 6xxx cpu with z170 chipset, etc...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Before returning it, have you checked that the motherboard is compatible yet? If the socket is the same there is a chance. There are numerous things that must be considered when building a PC not the least of which are hardware compatibilities, but then you must also configure BIOS. You also will need to manage the impact of licensing as a lot of software including your OS will consider the machine to be a new machine and may stop working. A lot of prep work is involved.

The good news is that there is tons of great info on the net just a Google search away.

I was also wondering if you are versed on thermal paste, cooler installation, etc.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Out of interest, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

bullfox wrote:Having in the past bent pins myself, seems like a reasonable possibility that the OP has bent pins on the processor. After my previous post I was hoping some one would follow along with some info on Win 7/win 10 hardware split.
Im pretty sure these decisions were made for purely commercial reason but then I am cynical!.
Kaby Lake onwards don't get security updates in Windows 7 although there is a work around. Should be noted that W7 is something you should be looking to move away from as it is old and not fully supported now.
Sky Lake and earlier will run W10 but this may not be forever (nothing is forever with W10 - as chipset manufacturers stop support for an older chipset, Microsoft will stop support too. This means the yearly new versions of Windows 10 that you get for free will stop although security patch will continue for some time.

So in summary:
Kaby lake onwards, windows 10.
Sky Lake and earlier, Windows 7 and obsolescence or change to Windows 10.
;)
See here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rsion-that

Regarding your bent pin point, intel chips do not have pins and stopped using them long time ago.

Chris

jayvee43
Airman

Post by jayvee43 »

Tutmeister wrote:Out of interest, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
Chris
My mother board is: B150M PRO - VD

Let me know what you think? The electronics store where I got my PC said it was "supposed" to be good. (All things considered; I put a wrong CPU in it, and didn't blow it up!!!)

Thanks

Jesse

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

The board is fine for what you were running with it, nothing wrong with MSI, it just isn't compatible with the later cpus.
I have actually seen reports of coffee lake cpus running on b150s from different motherboard manufacturers albeit with some reduced functionality. A newer chipset is needed to support the advanced functions of the newer chip. This does however mean that you are unlikely to have caused any damage to it.
Chris

jayvee43
Airman

Post by jayvee43 »

Tutmeister wrote:The board is fine for what you were running with it, nothing wrong with MSI, it just isn't compatible with the later cpus.
I have actually seen reports of coffee lake cpus running on b150s from different motherboard manufacturers albeit with some reduced functionality. A newer chipset is needed to support the advanced functions of the newer chip. This does however mean that you are unlikely to have caused any damage to it.
Chris
Good to know. Thanks.

I had been looking at this one for starters. Before i decided on the wrong one. Is this CPU going to work with my Motherboard?

The Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1151 Processor has a base speed of 4.2 GHz up to 4/5 GHz, with features such as Intel Hyper-Threading and Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

jayvee43 wrote:
Tutmeister wrote:The board is fine for what you were running with it, nothing wrong with MSI, it just isn't compatible with the later cpus.
Chris
Good to know. Thanks.

I had been looking at this one for starters. Before i decided on the wrong one. Is this CPU going to work with my Motherboard?

The Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1151 Processor has a base speed of 4.2 GHz up to 4/5 GHz, with features such as Intel Hyper-Threading and Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology.
Good choice. My dad run this baby at 4.5 Ghz underwater (Corsair H100 or something like that..) On par with my 4690K at 4.7 Ghz in P3D V4.... maybe a bit better it think sometimes...

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”