GPU prices

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: GPU prices

Post by dvm »

For whatever it's worth I just bought a GIGABYTE GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD from Newegg for $369. I was planning to wait till this summer when perhaps the prices and availability settled down. I stumbled on this card this morning and it seemed like a decent price but I wasn't sure. I decided to go for it anyway didn't feel liking waiting any longer. Not sure if the price will be lower than I paid down the road but I don't feel too bad as I checked back and the price this afternoon is $499. So you never know, anyone looking for a new GPU may want to consider going for it if the price seems OK as it may not last. The MSI board with the same specs also jumped to $499. Mine has already shipped and is on it's way. Newegg is a good outfit great service, I have spent many thousands with them over the last 10 or more years.

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

I got lucky in a way.

I bought a 1060 for 250 in July last year and regretted not getting a 1080 for 500.

So I sold my 1060 on Fleabay just before Xmas, for 240 and bought a 1080 for 600 just before the prices shot up again !

Result.

All prices in GBP......
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I got a used 970 on Ebay last year for $100.00 Works flawlessly and a good match for my older system.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Evidently the model I bought is the hot item. As there are other 1060 W/6Gb memory for what I paid for my GIGABYTE GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD this morning, it just jumped to $549. The GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1060 6G REV 2.0, GV-N1060AORUS-6GD R2 is $389 at least for the moment. :D and the specs are very similar. Who can keep up ? :roll: I was looking for 6GB of memory as some of the new sims will require it. Found this comment on the 1070 in a comparison between it and my current GPU might be interesting for those looking for a new GPU. I am very conservative and I won't pay twice as much for 25% better performance. There always is a sweet spot in most things.

The GTX 1070 is Nvidia’s second graphics card (after the 1080) to feature the new 16 nm Pascal architecture. As a result of the die shrink from 28 to 16 nm, Pascal based cards are more energy efficient than their predecessors. The GTX 1070 is rated at just 150 Watts. In terms of performance the gap between the flagship 1080 and 1070 averages 25%. Both GPUs have 8GB of DDR5 and although they share the same processing core (GP104), the 1070 has 25% of its resources disabled. Comparing performance between the 1070 and legendary GTX 970 shows that the newer 1070 wins by a whopping 50%. The GTX 1070 has only just hit the market so, at least for the time being, prices are significantly over the Founders Edition MSRP of $450 but Nvidia have stated that they expect third party cards to sell from $379 at which time the 1070 will likely dominate as the value for money leader. [Jun '16 GPUPro]

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Check out this site with graphs of Nvidia prices over the last year or so.

https://www.pcgamer.com/even-without-pr ... n-in-2016/

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

It's really getting insane now. I've never seen this kind of thing for such a commonplace piece of computer hardware since I've been building PCs (since 1996 or so.) I mean, obviously prices fluctuate depending on so many different factors, but the increase here is just not something I've experienced.

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Some retailers here are even hiking up prices on low end cards. I've seen lowly Radeon RX 550's listed at over 150€ when the MSRP should be around 80-90€ for those particular cards. I've never seen anything like it and I've been building systems for years, it's nuts. Unless you just havet to upgrade your gpu right now, I would advice anyone not to buy at these inflated prices.
Cheers!/Andreas

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes Addman it is craxy right now with low end cards taking the place of mid range, utter sillyness and a real shame as its hurting the entire industry
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Carlos2297
Airman

Post by Carlos2297 »

Didn't nvidia say something about building cheaper gpu's (no video outputs) specifically for the mining market?

I've been trying to update my gtx970 to a 1080ti but I refuse to pay twice the rrp for one.
Accu-Sim aircraft: C172 Trainer, C182 Skylane, Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250 , T-6 "Texan", Bonanza.

Ryzen 5800x, 32gb 3200mhz ram, rtx3080, W11

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Carlos2297 wrote:Didn't nvidia say something about building cheaper gpu's (no video outputs) specifically for the mining market?

I've been trying to update my gtx970 to a 1080ti but I refuse to pay twice the rrp for one.
Yeah, only problem is who would buy those cards second-hand once the miners are done with them? Regular "gaming" gpu's have a much better resale value, especially when there is a shortage of new ones. Also, the supply problem would still be there, Nvidia can't produce more chips than they already are so supply will still be short and retail prices will still be sky high. Industry sources have also stated that they are indeed selling their gpu's to retailers at the rrp and the retailers are the ones setting the final pricing and because they know the cards will fly off the shelves they set the price accordingly, ridiculously high. Capitalism with supply and demand at it's finest. :mrgreen: :? :(
Cheers!/Andreas

Carlos2297
Airman

Post by Carlos2297 »

addman wrote:
Carlos2297 wrote:Didn't nvidia say something about building cheaper gpu's (no video outputs) specifically for the mining market?

Yeah, only problem is who would buy those cards second-hand once the miners are done with them? Regular "gaming" gpu's have a much better resale value, especially when there is a shortage of new ones. Also, the supply problem would still be there, Nvidia can't produce more chips than they already are so supply will still be short and retail prices will still be sky high. Industry sources have also stated that they are indeed selling their gpu's to retailers at the rrp and the retailers are the ones setting the final pricing and because they know the cards will fly off the shelves they set the price accordingly, ridiculously high. Capitalism with supply and demand at it's finest. :mrgreen: :? :(
Indeed. Even the local computer shops stocks are low (or non existent 99% of the time) , and as so the prices are set accordingly.
Accu-Sim aircraft: C172 Trainer, C182 Skylane, Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250 , T-6 "Texan", Bonanza.

Ryzen 5800x, 32gb 3200mhz ram, rtx3080, W11

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I feel everyone's pain in upgrading their GPU. I just went through the expensive, time consuming, and very frustrating process of upgrading my CyberPower PC with a 1080TI GeForce GTX Video Card.
I couldn't find the 1080TI anywhere around the local area and I wore my fingers to the bone searching the internet for a safe place to buy one, without getting ripped off. The miners have ruined the market for these GPUs for us flyers/gamers.
I did pay the higher price of $1,100.00 for a new 1080TI I found on New Egg. I sold my old card, which helped absorb some of the expense of the newer card.
I wish you all luck in finding the GPU that is right for you and your needs.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Looks like the GPU availability may be improving which of course is what determines price. I just saw two Gigabyte cards on Newegg a 1060 6gb for $299 and a 1080 8GB for $599 both are down $70. from the other day and the limit is up to two per customer. So wait if you can perhaps the fever has broken. :D

gpbarth
Airman First Class

Post by gpbarth »

Any input on current memory price? I just bought a machine with 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1), and I'd like to buy two more to bring my machine up to 32 Gb. I haven't even looked yet, but this topic scared me! :shock: I think I'm lucky to have bought my machine with the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB...I couldn't even imagine paying a grand for a 1080!
-= Gary =-
MSFS2020, DCS World, A2A Accu-Sim Military & Civilian P-51, Cessna 172, Comanche 250, Win 10 64-bit, I7-7700, ASUS GTX108Ti, 32Gb RAM, 2 2Tb drives.

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

gpbarth wrote:Any input on current memory price? I just bought a machine with 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1), and I'd like to buy two more to bring my machine up to 32 Gb. I haven't even looked yet, but this topic scared me! :shock: I think I'm lucky to have bought my machine with the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB...I couldn't even imagine paying a grand for a 1080!
Memory prices are also still insane, gpu prices have slowly started to creep down to non-insane prices the last week or so. My advice, if you really need those extra 16GB's of memory, yeah sure pay what you have to pay but if isn't an absolute necessity to upgrade then I would definitely wait. That's how the market works right, you get what you need for the price you have to pay, if you don't need it and the price is silly, don't buy it! If we keep buying things at inflated prices then they will remain inflated. Simples.

Cheers!/Andreas
Cheers!/Andreas

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”