For Those Who Have Switched From FSX to P3D

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Cessna781
Airman

For Those Who Have Switched From FSX to P3D

Post by Cessna781 »

Highly considering switching from FSX:SE to P3D but would like to hear the thoughts of those who have already done it. Is it truly worth it? We’re the differences that noticeable and better?

Cessna781
Airman

Re: For Those Who Have Switched From FSX to P3D

Post by Cessna781 »

Thanks, didn’t see that

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I will simply say that just because to get P3D doesnt mean you should close down fsx and never use it. I see a lot of people seemingly only ever using one platform and that seems crazy. I have so many sims installed and enjoy them all for there own strengths, as each has pros and cons.

As a simmer why would I limit myself to a single platform, esp if ive invested in one already with add-ons.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

On the other side of the pond, the weather in Southern Oregon has begun to present some beautiful sunny days for rc flying, and I find my self drifting toward outdoor activities rather than simming. P3D seems to be still going through new releases. Even though I have upgraded my hardware for P3D I have pretty much decided to wait until fall to get into it.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Cessna781. This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I have both FSX-SE and P3D V4. I fly both platforms on a regular basis. I bought P3D V4 simply because it's a 64bit platform and in my opinion the leading 64bit platform out there at this time, with the most addon airplanes and scenery available for the current 64bit platforms out there on the market. I do have more addon airplanes and scenery installed in my FSX-SE; but that's because I've had years to develop FSX/FSX-SE vs. P3D V4. I believe all future simulator platforms will be at least 64bit eventually, to include FSX-SE (In some form or named differently). Currently FSX-SE is a 32bit platform. Most modern computers have enough resources (OS, RAM/System Memory, CPU, Video Card Memory, etc.) to run the flight sims: however a 32bit platform (FSX-SE) cannot take advantage of the newer generation computers resources. the 32bit platforms literally "Choke Down" the resources of your computer so that all the resources are not available. this leads to OOMs (Out of Memory Message) and shutdowns of FSX-SE in heavy scenery areas or sometimes while flying a complicated airplane like my PMDG products. For example in FSX-SE you may only get to use 4G of a 8G Video Cards Memory (which could lead to an OMM). In P3D V4 I get to use the whole 8G of Video Card Memory.
I hope this helps you understand a little more why most of us are slowly moving over to the 64bit Platforms. There are other guys on this site a lot smarter than I am Computer wise so feel free to pick their brains. With all that said, Lewis is correct about continuing to use your FSX-SE. The 32bit FSX-SE is not going away any time soon and products are still abundant for that platform, so enjoy it while you got it. I still fly some of my all time favorite planes (That haven't been converted yet to 64bit) in FSX-SE. If you got room on your hard drives for both FSX-SE and P3D, go for it and have fun! PS I love the use of shadowing in P3D, it brings my world alive!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :idea: :idea: :) :)

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

It depends on your hardware and addons, but I installed P3D v4 in October and I haven't run FSX since. Comparing the two is like comparing the wright flyer to concorde. It's just not a fair fight.

ps - you got that FSX is the wright flyer and P3D is concorde right?

pps - only thing is that you will have to re-buy all your A2A aircraft. Most other developers can offer free upgrade but due to the way A2A works, you have to buy a new version.

Jetranger7
Senior Airman

Post by Jetranger7 »

Whats an X-PLANE anyway'z ???

sounds like one of dem' der' Du'Flunky' Thingy' Ma' Jobbers, that crashes constantly !

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”