P3Dv4.2 released !

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
BrianV
Airman

Re: P3Dv4.2 released !

Post by BrianV »

This has also happened to me, but unwisely I did the installation of both the client and the content. The A2A addon folder is still there along with the other addons I have, but only the A2A planes do not show when starting P3D v4.2. How can I re-link them in the add-ons.cfg if this is the issue?

Thanks, Brian
Lewis - A2A wrote:
C.Jock wrote:I updated to V4.2 and now I can't see my A2A planes.

They were not installed in the root folder.
Hello,

if you can post a new thread in a tech support forum we can look into your exact issue. Please give us as many details as you can, including which aircraft and how you installed 4.2. You may simply need to re-link your addon's folder in the add-ons.cfg if you did a full install of 4.2

thanks,
Lewis

doc289456
Airman

Post by doc289456 »

I too have this issue. My a2a planes are installed in separate folder outside p3d folders.
I updated client, content & scenery to 4.2

Can someone post how to get them working again

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello guys - yes, it look like Lockheed Martin may have made a small change to the syntax requirement of the "add-ons.cfg" file such that its "PATH=" entry no longer supports a trailing backslash in P3Dv4.2. At least that's what my early testing seems to show. This means that if you've installed your A2A add-ons to a custom directory in a clean installation of P3Dv4.2, they won't be recognised by the sim.

The workaround should just be a simple edit to the "add-ons.cfg" file in question.

BrianV, C.Jock and doc289456 - please can you let me know which directory you've installed your A2A add-ons to?

Thanks,
Nick

BrianV
Airman

Post by BrianV »

Hi Nick,

In my case, I've installed them into: F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A

Best

Brian
Nick M wrote:Hello guys - yes, it look like Lockheed Martin may have made a small change to the syntax requirement of the "add-ons.cfg" file such that its "PATH=" entry no longer supports a trailing backslash in P3Dv4.2. At least that's what my early testing seems to show. This means that if you've installed your A2A add-ons to a custom directory in a clean installation of P3Dv4.2, they won't be recognised by the sim.

The workaround should just be a simple edit to the "add-ons.cfg" file in question.

BrianV, C.Jock and doc289456 - please can you let me know which directory you've installed your A2A add-ons to?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Brian - please can you open the following file with a text editor such as Notepad:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg.

And edit the line "PATH=F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\" so that it reads "PATH=F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" instead. (i.e. just remove the trailing backslash.)

By default, "ProgramData" is a hidden system folder. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... dden-files.

Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Nick

doc289456
Airman

Post by doc289456 »

Hi,
Ive installed to:

S:\Prepar3dv4\P3D4-Addons\A2A
Nick M wrote:Hello guys - yes, it look like Lockheed Martin may have made a small change to the syntax requirement of the "add-ons.cfg" file such that its "PATH=" entry no longer supports a trailing backslash in P3Dv4.2. At least that's what my early testing seems to show. This means that if you've installed your A2A add-ons to a custom directory in a clean installation of P3Dv4.2, they won't be recognised by the sim.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

doc289456 wrote:Hi,
Ive installed to:

Thanks - please can you try the same workaround. Open the following file with a text editor such as Notepad:

And edit the line "PATH=S:\Prepar3dv4\P3D4-Addons\A2A\" so that it reads "PATH=S:\Prepar3dv4\P3D4-Addons\A2A" instead. (i.e. just remove the trailing backslash.)

By default, "ProgramData" is a hidden system folder. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... dden-files.

Cheers,
Nick

BrianV
Airman

Post by BrianV »

Many thanks Nick

Indeed, it was the backslash that caused the problem. I removed it, and all the planes are back in good shape! Many thanks for the quick reply and help.

Brian
Nick M wrote:Okay, thanks Brian - please can you open the following file with a text editor such as Notepad:

And edit the line "PATH=F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\" so that it reads "PATH=F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" instead. (i.e. just remove the trailing backslash.)

Thanks,
Nick

doc289456
Airman

Post by doc289456 »

This has worked for me too,
After removing the backslash
I now see the A2A planes
Thanks
Nick M wrote:
doc289456 wrote:Hi,
Ive installed to:

Thanks - please can you try the same workaround. Open the following file with a text editor such as Notepad:

And edit the line "PATH=S:\Prepar3dv4\P3D4-Addons\A2A\" so that it reads "PATH=S:\Prepar3dv4\P3D4-Addons\A2A" instead. (i.e. just remove the trailing backslash.)

Cheers,
Nick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

BrianV wrote:Indeed, it was the backslash that caused the problem. I removed it, and all the planes are back in good shape! Many thanks for the quick reply and help.
You're welcome Brian - thanks for the update.
doc289456 wrote:This has worked for me too,
After removing the backslash
I now see the A2A planes
Thanks
You're welcome - thanks for the confirmation too.

Nick

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Just did a Client only update to 4.2 and so far so good. Some things of note on other software I updated are...

Active Sky for P3Dv4 to v6616. Seems fine so far.
PTA to v2.61. Seems fine so far.
Registered version of FSUIPC 5.123 introduced stutters at one second intervals, then at approx. every 7 seconds, ending with an eventual errorless CTD. Gone back to 5.122 and now seems fine.

What surprised me more is the fact that the A2A Spitfire still seems to be fine, so chuffed with that. :D

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Steve,

Are your A2A P3Dv4 add-ons installed in the default directory (Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons)?

If so, did you get the prompt to enable A2A add-ons when you first ran the updated version of Prepar3D?

Just trying to confirm some more details of the issue noted above.

Thanks,
Nick

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hi Nick.

I've moved the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder out of the default location in 'My Documents', onto another hard drive and used a Symbolic Link to point to the new location. I have numerous add-on aircraft installed there, including the P3D native A2A C172, C182 and T6 and so far, I've had no prompts to activate anything. They seem fine. I'm just waiting for something to go wrong and bite me in the proverbial. :lol:

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Steve. That all makes perfect sense: if you used a symbolic link rather than a custom install path, the sim still think you're using the default "Documents" directory. The issue only seems to affect those with custom installation paths for their A2A add-ons.

Nick

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

That is interesting Nick. I suspected a symbolic link may be less maintenance. Looks like I chose the right option, for now at least.

Cheers.
Steve.

Edit: Just realised, that using a symbolic link is probably the reason why my add-ons.cfg, in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 is still blank.

Edit 2: All the entries are in the add-ons.cfg in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and I remember activating them the first time I installed the aircraft.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”