Petz

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Diana Welz
Airman

Petz

Post by Diana Welz »

Okay, now it's the time for talking about animals, which can be really close to your heart (pets), but some of you can really afraid of them. Are there animals which you really are afraid of? Or is there something that you love? Do you have any pets? Want to tell us about it/them?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Petz

Post by Oracle427 »

I have four rescued house broken and litter trained rabbits.

Marley
Yuki Maru
Roo
Hop

There were a few more before them who I remember well, including our first pair, Usagi and Gennosuke.

I'm very fond of them and they each have very distinct personalities and preferences for food, toys and people. Marley loves to hop on our laps to watch TV together. Roo like to jump on tables and other high places to check things out from up high.

I grew up with dogs and became seriously allergic to them in my teenage years. My wife wanted a pet and one day a rabbit turned up prior notice. I wanted it out thinking it would make me miserable with allergies, plus I enjoy a good roast rabbit, so I thought it a bit odd to have one as a pet.

They're certainly not easy to care for and they are very fragile, but they have made it to ten years when they remain healthy. I wouldn't recommend them as pets for anyone that isn't ready to commit.

I am not a big fan of reptiles or arachnids. I have a friend that has several iguanas and snakes. Not my cup of tea! Their flash is amazingly soft though. It's also not fun at all to get bitten by them!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

We are cat people. Had two cats for years; "Chairman Meow" and "Sir Lick-a-Lot !" We now have "Lilly". I am her man servant.
Here's a story about "Chairman Meow" we like to tell from time to time.

Gravitation and the Chairman
By Dudley Henriques

We have two cats, "Chairman Meow" and "Sir Lick a Lot". Sir Lick a Lot is the
smarter of the two. I've been teaching him to play chess. Actually, he's not
all THAT smart, as I can still beat him two games out of three.
Chairman Meow on the other hand, is NOT Mensa material. You would think that a
cat living around here would know about things like aerodynamics.
Apparently not!
Our bird feeder is aprox. 10 feet off the end of the back deck on a 4x4 post
about even with the deck height of 8 feet. Yesterday, the Chairman was seen on
the deck assiduously studying flight dynamics as he envisioned them applying
to cats and bird feeders.
We watched him sit there quietly as he no doubt worked out the physics and
mentally constructed the wanted trajectory against his aerodynamic profile.
I of course being the more "experienced" member of the family already knew
that the Chairman's flight envelope bore a close resemblance to a brick. My
lovely wife of 35 years however, was actually showing some signs of concern.
"Can he make it?" she said!
"Well", I said, looking at our over fed; over weight fur creature, "perhaps
with a ladder, or if he has eaten those baked beans I left for him in his
dish."
As I spoke, my wife let out a scream as it became instantly apparent that the
Chairman had done the math. He twitched his tail and made his takeoff run.
Unfortunately, his math was either very bad, or he had used the wrong base. He
reached Cso [cat stall/paws and tail extended] and rotated at Cr [idiot cat
liftoff speed]. All four paws came out as he serenely soared over the top
rail. Somewhere between Vx and Vy he came to a complete understanding with
Isaac Newton. Actually, Bernoulli was never even a factor. He came to an
absolute stop in mid air for just an instant; I could swear that he looked
back at me with a sort of stupid smile on his face. Then down he went, right
into the rose hedge.
The problem with the Chairman is that he never actually learns anything. If he
could shave, it wouldn't be with Occam's Razor. In his mind I'm sure he feels
that the gravity was especially bad yesterday.
He will no doubt re-study the problem and try again.
Copyright 1985 Dudley Henriques
Last edited by DHenriques_ on 13 Feb 2018, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Great recounting of Chairman Meo's flying efforts!

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Being a fan of all things flying since birth, I don't fear, but certainly hate cats. I can often be seen chasing them out of my yard lest they try to kill birds...or squirrels, which I also adore.

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Dog person here (or at my parents house anyway). At my apartment, I have 2 enormous pet rocks by my desk. One is named Dell he is quite old and may be replaced when I get out of college. The other is called Custom and gives me great joy when I find a blue moon to use him for flight sim :lol:
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Our cat is a very handsome Ragdoll whose name is "Jackson". He weighs in at 13 plus pounds and it is all cat. ie: no fat.
He is an indoor cat but loves to sit by the windows and watch what goes on outdoors. Ragdolls are very loving cats and I think they got that name because when you pick them up they go limp in your arms. Unfortunately ours doesn't know that. My wife can pick him up and hold him for a little while without any fuss but if I pick him up he is rigid as a board and lets me know immediately he wants down. He will sit cuddled right next to you and purr the whole time. He loves to play.

We are retired so he has lots of company.

Tom

Diana Welz
Airman

Post by Diana Welz »

Hi guys, in a few days I will be having a rescue training with my dog, I'm excited about it because I will have an opportunity to learn more and it's free. My friends ask me to come and bring my dog because they do offer Life Saving Techniques for dogs. I forgot to tell you that the training that we will undergo is a training for a rescue in the water. I'm a good swimmer but I'm a bit worried about my dog so I was thinking to buy a life jacket for him. Any idea where I can buy those?

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Diana Welz wrote:Hi guys, in a few days I will be having a rescue training with my dog, I'm excited about it because I will have an opportunity to learn more and it's free. My friends ask me to come and bring my dog because they do offer Life Saving Techniques for dogs. I forgot to tell you that the training that we will undergo is a training for a rescue in the water. I'm a good swimmer but I'm a bit worried about my dog so I was thinking to buy a life jacket for him. Any idea where I can buy those?
I'm fairly sure that I have seen them advertised online. I live in Canada and I know that Canadian Tire has them for sale in the summer but you would be hard pressed to find one this time of year here. A pet store is another place you may find one or they could point you in the right direction. As for pets I currently have a female Bull Mastiff who has just passed me in doggy years this year. Over the years I have owned horses, cats, rabbits,and a duck that used to come to the barn for cracked corn in the spring with her little ones all in line behind her. I am personally a fan of all animals as they all have their own little quirks that make them special.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Diana Welz
Airman

Post by Diana Welz »

I found this dog life jacket online which has different sizes, designs, and styles which are perfect for different kinds of dogs. Do you think that my pet needs this type of thing? Any suggestions?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I sure do miss my buddy, Zeke the Motodog. He passed away in 2010. He loved to ride with me to BMW rallys and similar adventures. Here is a picture of Zeke next to "his" machine:

Seeya
ATB

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Diana Welz wrote:I found this dog life jacket online which has different sizes, designs, and styles which are perfect for different kinds of dogs. Do you think that my pet needs this type of thing? Any suggestions?
They are the only jackets that I have ever seen and will keep your dog afloat in the water. You need to buy it according to weight. They are usually used by people that take their dogs out in a boat but should work for your application.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

TMorel
Airman Basic

Post by TMorel »

Hyenas.

Not exactly pets I know, but I really hated them when I was out in the South African bush.
Had a few run ins with the big five but you know where you stand with those bad boys, but I still get twitchy remembering getting woke in my tent while a pack of hyenas got all frenzied up over a kill bouncing off the fabric.
Definitely not as cute and friendly as The Lion King would have you believe :(

Now, a nice bearded collie or a weimaraner, that I'd have no problem with :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

A young, 2½ year old cat named Mao. A Russian Blue with intelligence as sharp so that you know she's thinking when she looks into your eyes and around, evaluating. Know's when she's searched for, staying hidden, until very certain that she's been found and only then making up a marker meow with an innocent look. Knows how to open doors by jumping to the handle if locked away for even a moment, and how to annoy people if seeking attention.

Been around dogs and cats for almost my whole life. Love them Petz!

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I love animals, but being allergic to cats means I am a dog person for sure. For now though the kids keep me busy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”