Tools to Optimise FSX Performance

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
TonyW
Airman First Class

Tools to Optimise FSX Performance

Post by TonyW »

Hi,

Is it OK to ask a general FSX question, not specific to A2A here?

Does anyone here use an optimising program such as Alacrity PC or similar, and if so are there any better than Alacrity PC? I used FS Autostart in the past and found it good, and as far as I know Alacrity PC is a direct "descendent" of that. I know that there are plenty of alternatives, so just wondering what people might recommend.

Regards,

Tony

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Tools to Optimise FSX Performance

Post by dvm »

In my experience there is no magic software that will optimize FSX. It requires a decent system, properly setup and maintained. A dedicated PC with very little unnecessary software not related to flight simming is the Ideal situation. I have a smooth running FSX installation using this concept and have for many years. I do not surf the web with my flight sim rig and that is where a lot of the system problems originate. When I build a new flight sim rig my old one becomes my everyday PC. You also need to adjust your sliders to suit the resources of your system for optimum performance (trial and error). Just my opinion of course. One last thought when I put my previous flight sim PC into everyday use it starts out very fast and after a year or two even with maintenance it still be comes a lot slower and has more issues.

TonyW
Airman First Class

Post by TonyW »

Hi DVM,

Yes, I agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately my PC is in my study which is less than 6 Sq. Metres and is used as a general office / "man cave" so not enough space for two PCs. I also need to use the PC for many other applications. I can run FSX quite well with most sliders full right, except at very busy airports.

Alacrtity PC basically shuts down unneeded services and then launches FSX, or any other program you want, then when that program is shut down all of the services are restarted. As well as improving performance it also prevent other program trying to do updates or otherwise interrupt FSX. But I know that there are several similar programs so was wondering if anyone here used one of the alternatives?

Regards,

Tony

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

Ill echo what DVM has said I am afraid. There is no magic bullet that will make FSX work right - it is entirely dependant on your system and how you have FSX set up.

Having said that, I was using Razer Cortex with FSX on my old machine. I can't really say if it ever made that much difference to be honest. It is something a lot of other guys I fly swear by so I installed it as well. Other than that, I am afraid it's all about trial and error and just spending the time to get your rig working the best it can.

TonyW
Airman First Class

Post by TonyW »

Thanks for the replies.
Regards,
Tony

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

TonyW wrote:Hi,

Is it OK to ask a general FSX question, not specific to A2A here?

Does anyone here use an optimising program such as Alacrity PC or similar, and if so are there any better than Alacrity PC? I used FS Autostart in the past and found it good, and as far as I know Alacrity PC is a direct "descendent" of that. I know that there are plenty of alternatives, so just wondering what people might recommend.

Regards,

Tony
Tony, have you done all the usual config tweaks, such as Himemfix, affinity mask ( for multicore processors ), Nvidia Inspector settings etc? If not, this site will be of interest:

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx ... are-guide/

Back up everything before you do anything - the golden rule. :wink:

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I hadn't even thought of kosta's tweaks I have been using most of them for quite sometime, good suggestion Paul.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I have been running FSX 10 off and on ever since it came out. I started in XP and crashed the computer for good. then upgraded the hardware and went to Win 7. the big break through was about a year ago when I went to an Nvidia 970 that I got on Ebay for $100.00. That made it possible to get really good AA in DX 10 with Steve's Scenery Fixer. The fixer comes with a page of tweaks that are very easy to use so that its possible to easily test different settings. After pushing that as far as I could then I bought an AMD 3.6 ghz on Ebay, also for about $100. Then I over clocked it to 4.2 ghz on the first two cores. Moving everything over to a 500 GB SSD was also a helpful step. Then recently I put everything on a 1 TB SSD and installed a 2 TB HHD for backup, and upped the ram to 16 GB. All of the last three steps in preparation for going to P3D.

However, the darn thing with its 10 year old motherboard runs so good that I Have decided to hold off P3D until they solve some of the problems they seem to still be having. My thinking is that if they are still having to issue new releases, until they get that sorted out, it might be difficult to diagnose problems running P3D on an old patched together system.

But to answer your original question, the thing that seemed to help the most in terms of speed. stability. and visual appearance was the Scenery Fixer. If you are not running in DX10 you should give it a try.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

For performance issues I can highly recommend P3D. I mean that serious.

Beside this, there's simStarter.
It is not a "magic performance program", but you can make different profiles for your flights. So i.e. different settings for VFR and IFR, or night and day. Or you deactivate smaller airports in your scenery.cfg for IFR flights or per region. More (ground) traffic or less.
All combinations are possible.

And all these sttings are then started with one click.

http://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-si ... 164).phtml

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

guenseli wrote:For performance issues I can highly recommend P3D. I mean that serious.
That goes without saying. FSX is old old old technology. The latest P3D is light years ahead.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”