I know I shouldn't complain, but....

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
crash924
Airman

I know I shouldn't complain, but....

Post by crash924 »

I have never had a failure on any of my A2A a/c, other than the occasional flying into a granite cloud or losing 10,000 ft altitude in 37 seconds with full flaps or some other pilot error.
I have never had a popped circuit breaker, no flat tires, no loss of radios or instruments.
When I do my pre-flights, sometimes when I hover over the fuel strainer it will show "water in tank" or "water in fuel strainer", but when I click to get the larger picture of the strainer, it never shows the water or contaminants in the strainer.
There is never anything in the radiators, all nuts, bolts, and pins are always in great shape. The MX always says the plane is in excellent or great shape.
I have accu-feel installed on all the a/c, and I had the cabin integrity set to 6, but I lowered it to 0, and still I have a perfect a/c all the time. My C182 has almost 3000 hours, and I can't imagine that NOTHING has failed in all that time. (I didn't put 3k hours on it, but I have put on almost 100)
I am running FSX:SE on win 10 with a GTX1070 graphic card 3.2 quad core mobo with 16 MB memory.
Is there a setting I should be using, or do I just have the best luck of any pilot anywhere in all of aviation history?

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Re: I know I shouldn't complain, but....

Post by crippy »

Hmm....even with perfect flying you should get the eventual bolt missing on pre-flight or worn out tires etc.

How often are you checking the maintenance hangar? I obviously don't know exactly how that is coded, but I know every time you open the maintenance hangar, I *Think* the battery is re-charged, I know for sure the GPS battery is charged if you are using the portable unit. It may also re-fresh the state of other things such as a bolt starting to come loose that when you open the hangar it is tightened.
- But I'm not sure. I make it a habit of not opening the maintenance hanger...really at all. You can't do that in the real world unless you have a facility at the airport and even then it is a stretch.

Make sure you have damaged turned on in the SHIFT + 3 menu as well. I have noticed that just doing the hour "training" flights does not seem to do much wear and tar on my aircraft at all.

I annual my planes about every 3-5 months where I will fly to a field in flight sim that has a maintenance facility.

However I recently flew down to KDAL from KFYV for a vatsim event. 3Hr flight one way. Longest I've ever flown the Comanche. I was just too tempted when I got back to open the maintenance hanger, and would you know the mechanical fuel pump and carb are in the yellow. (Kinda kicking myself I wish I could have experienced and diagnosed a failing fuel pump with out expecting it)

Over the years I've had a chipped prop (Too low approach) ; Replaced a nose tire from a hard grass landing ; Oh yeah I ran over a piece of grass and P3D decided that was crash worthy, so I totaled my Skylane. Similar story with the Cherokee. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Comanche is the only bird that has had a true experience.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

I have had some issues and situations, then again, i am very lazy at pre-flighting the plane on a regular basis.

But yeah, i wish A2A plane would have exaggerated failure modeling that would lead some sort of issue quite often. Not all the time, not everyflight, but quite often. Triggers do not work, because then i KNOW something is going to happen and i am prepared for it. Maybe some sort of multiplier from 0 to 10, 0 would be realistic, 10 would be nearly all flights have some issues, 5 would be that you'd be ok for a pretty long time, or something. The random used plane option have not satisfied my needs, because i'd love some consistency and i tend to watch the plane from hanger. (i hate that habbit)

Also, especially if A2A is going to release a turbocharged even more complex GA planes, i'd love to see similar TBO system that the B-17 had, realistic and faster option for worn. So you'd get faster response of "how i am treating this plane", so everything would wear out faster and your bad actions would be MUCH more harmful than in real life. Or much more quickly.

After all, this is safe simulation enviroment, better take all out of it. I just recently tried out Flight Sim world's new Situation missions and found them pretty satisfying.

(Just woke up, sorry for the typos and bad grammar)

crash924
Airman

Post by crash924 »

Just checked and yep, I do have damage turned on, as well as cold and dark start.
I am in the habit of going to the maintenance hangar every time before I start a flight...I guess I will stop that until I get a warning something is wrong and see if I get any failures...I would think, though, that maintenance would only be performed when it was requested...I don't know of any shop irl that does anything for free or unasked for

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

I suppose you could "torture test" your plane and see what happens. Drain the oil down to maybe 2 quarts and climb it at full power at Vx. If the engine doesn't seize, it should at least overheat (and all the nasties that come with that).

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

You should do a walk around pre flight check every flight,not go to the maintanance hanger.

Cheers Chris

crash924
Airman

Post by crash924 »

Yeah, Chris I do a pre-flight walk around as well as going to the maintenance hangar for every flight.
The problem is the pictures in the walk around are not matching up with the reported damage in the maintenance shop.
I had an incident yesterday where I damaged the flaps, but when I did the pre-flight the next time, the pictures showed no damage,although the check of the flaps showed excessive movement. When I looked at the picture for the various linkages, no damage was evident, but the shop said both flap linkages were "busted".

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You wouldn't see this flap damage aside from excessive travel. The linkages are inside the wing. The other parts can fail, so do not assume that the images do not change. They can and will.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”