Want to try multiplayer?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Want to try multiplayer?

Post by Paughco »

I check these A2A forums a LOT, mostly to see if there is any news on A2A releasing a version of my P-40 that will work in P3Dv4.x. Then I look over just about the entire forum, before moving on to YouTube, Facebook, or the DC-3 Airways forum (you have to be a member to see the whole thing, so here is a link to the main web site http://dcascreenshots.net/dc-3airways/.

One day I decided to look at the Multiplayer sub-forum. Hey - it looks pretty easy. Might be fun. By "easy," I mean waaaay easier than the multiplayer setup on DC-3 Airways! Lewis describes the process here: https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 79&t=62296. First thing you need to do is to download JoinFS so you can get on the SkyLounge server. Then download this other small app called Discord that allows you to communicate via chat mode and/or connect to a group with your headphones. It's all explained pretty well in Lewis' post.

I downloaded JoinFS and Discord and got them running, then fired up Active Sky and P3D, then flew around in my T-6. I wasn't flying with anybody yet, just checking out the new apps. It's good to play around with all this stuff before you start flying with a bunch of folks, IMHO.

My wife was complaining about the airplane noised coming from my computer, so I took that as an opportunity to buy a new SOMIC G909PRO headset from Amazon. Cool! :D

Back in December '17/January '18, Lewis was announcing new flights just about every week on the multiplayer forum. The weekly flights started on Sundays at 20:00 Zulu (noon at Pacific Standard time). First one I flew in was a hop out of Spain over to Morocco. I showed up a bit early in my T-6 and flew along. It was fun, but my mic wasn't working, so I could see the other airplanes and hear the guys talking, but they couldn't hear me. Probably just as well. After the flight I typed in the chat window that my mic wasn't working, and one of the guys hung out with me and helped me get my mic working. Now I know to tap the little boom mic on my headset to see if I get the little green ring around my avatar in the lower left of the Discord window.

In February '18 Lewis announced that he wouldn't be able to make the next few flights, so somebody suggested that we fly around Maui. Hey, that was fun! We did an unannounced touch and go at a major airport! Oh yeah - we're doing this for fun. No communication with the ground. Think about a bunch of fighter pilots back from the war, turned loose for an informal sight-seeing flight! That was us! Here is a group shot taken after our flight.

I led the flight last weekend. We took off from a small field in Yakima, Washington and flew north through the Yakima Canyon (check Hwy 821 from Yakima to Ellensburg, WA on Google Maps), and landed at Cle Elum Airfield. What a blast!

RATTY suggested that the flight for this week (Sunday, 20:00 Zulu) should be another canyon run, this time from Salzberg (LOWS), past Zell Am See (LOWZ), to land at Innsbruck (LOWI). There has been discussion as to whether we should fly T-6s or Comanches. I'm going to be there in my T-6. Cherokee, Cessna 172, etc., it doesn't matter.

I've got an idea for the next time it's my turn: We leave Half Moon Bay Airport (KHAF), fly up the coast and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Then we buzz the tower at KSFO, do a touch and go at KSQL, then fly through the dirigible hangar at KNUQ, then back over the hill to KHAF. I know you can fly a DC-3 through that hangar in FS2004; I need to check if it can be done in a T-6 in P3Dv4.2.

Yep. It can be done. 8)

Only reason I'm posting this here is so you guys who haven't checked out the multiplayer sub-forum might want to take a look and maybe give it a try.

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Want to try multiplayer?

Post by Paughco »

Our flight today was really great! First thing was, I got there more than an hour early! Must have been the caffeine. Another guy was there, so we fooled around with our airplanes until other folks got there. We had time to figure out which weather scenario to use. I had used real weather during my pre-runs and that was extremely iffy, so we decided to go with ORBX4 weather. I fired up my T-6 and let her warm up, then did a mag check. I shut her down. About that time some other folks started to show up. We sat around and talked on Discord as we waited until the assigned takeoff time. I wonder if pilots sat in their Mustangs doing the same thing back in the day? Finally it was time to go. I had a pretty serious advantage, having flown the route twice(!) in my Comanche, so I knew what to expect. We took off from Salzberg, and turned onto our course, south through a big valley (not quite a canyon). The valley turned west and we buzzed the Zell Am See (LOWZ) airport tower, just to let them know that some Yankee Air Pirates were coming through.

We flew down the valley until it made a turn to the north that included a climb to pass over a saddle, which brought us to the main valley leading to Innsbruck (LOWI). Let me tell you, this is not a fun part of the flight if the clouds are hanging low. We got to LOWI and set up for a left approach to RWY 08. Oh man... A ten knot crosswind. Guys! This was the first time I ever successfully landed my T-6 in a double-digit crosswind using the sideslip technique on final with NO GROUNDLOOP!

Next week we plan to have a mellow flight around the San Francisco Bay Area. Damn, I wish I had my P-40!

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Want to try multiplayer?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes we've got a great community coming together for MP flights and on the discord channel for chat and voice, nice to see it taking off. Ill be back flying again shortly too which is great.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”