the most difficult plane to fly?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cessna lover

the most difficult plane to fly?

Post by cessna lover »

not sure if we can share videos here. but I had to share this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-b5z6YqKU could also help some folks having trouble with this plane as well. just don't shoot me down if we can't share stuff like this.

Buffy Foster

Re: the most difficult plane to fly?

Post by Buffy Foster »

Wow that's so cool!

As far as I know videos are ok, there's even a post on how to make them show up nice. You use 'youtube' open and close brackets, and change the 'https' to 'http' on the link. :)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

I wish I could make videos. but have no way to make FSX or any other kind of videos. due to lack of software. but I'm glad you liked it :D

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

You can use the video capture built into NVidia GeForce Experience, it works real nice. And I used this freeware LightWorks program to edit the 2 little videos I made. :)

https://www.lwks.com/

Some ppl have used the freeware OBS for video capture too: https://obsproject.com/

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

Buffy Foster wrote:You can use the video capture built into NVidia GeForce Experience, it works real nice. And I used this freeware LightWorks program to edit the 2 little videos I made. :)

https://www.lwks.com/

Some ppl have used the freeware OBS for video capture too: https://obsproject.com/
I use GeForce Experience and Windows Movie Maker is a good and easy tool to work with when it comes to editing. I'd do it more but it's very time consuming.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

The Flightchops taildragger series was a big help to me when I was trying to learn the T-6. Really looking forward to Steve's upcoming T-6 sessions.

As I posted on the T-6 forum, Flightchops is far and away my favorite YouTube video channel. In addition to the obvious quality and the serious commitment to safety, there's also the fact that Steve finds his way into lots of different airplanes - which parallels what so many of us do as simmers. And of course, he's got a taste for warbirds and vintage aircraft. So for anyone who's a member of this community - that might be an added reason to check him out.

If you haven't already, try this one - he flies a DC-3 at Oshkosh, and has an optimal learning moment during the run-up...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRG0afY9D9s[/youtube]
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

This is a very good film and the instructor giving dual here is also very good.

The "thing" to remember about the T6 is that it is NOT a difficult plane to fly. It simply has to be flown properly. Any problems attributed to the T6 are simply the same issues found when flying any tail wheel aircraft. The close coupling and long fuselage moment inherent to the T6 simply require monitoring to a closer tolorance as the margins for error are narrower.
The T6 is just a big baby once the pilot flying it realizes what I have said above and incorporates this attitude and technique into the way they fly the T6.
Dudley Henriques

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:The T6 is just a big baby . . .
Perfect description, Dudley. And I STILL manage to induce a tantrum from time to time.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Proficiency is key in any airplane, especially the planes with 'reputations'...T-6, Bonanza, Cirrus, Mu-2..etc when pilots are properly trained to fly them, they are excellent aircraft with fantastic capabilities. Thats what I love about A2A planes, if you don't fly them for while and come back, you must become 'proficient' in them again, just like a real plane...ie you should do some circuits and some good practice flying before you go on long trips or such.

Most other FS planes you can jump from one to another with not much different in experience. With A2A planes, for instance, you fly the 182 for a while, then hop into the Comanche, your Comanche flying is going to be rusty until you get comfortable, and vice versa. And that old J-3...haven't flown for a long time, better do some circuits before trying to plop it on a riverbank lol.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

no the T-6 is not most difficult plane for me to fly. the ones that are hard for me to master is the A2A Connie B377 and the P-47. you are blind when trying to land that thing. and the Connie and B377 for me are hard to grease on the run way for some reason. and the passenger miles on them 2 seem messed up. if I take a flight of 100 miles it says passenger miles 3,000 or something :?

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

You will if you've got 30 punters: 30pax x 100nm = 3,000pax.nms.

I agree with TJ. Too long off one type and it takes a bit to get back. I find the tricycle GA's not too hard to at least land well enough (just not well...) when out of practice. Tail-draggers on the other hand!
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Mickel wrote:You will if you've got 30 punters: 30pax x 100nm = 3,000pax.nms.

I agree with TJ. Too long off one type and it takes a bit to get back. I find the tricycle GA's not too hard to at least land well enough (just not well...) when out of practice. Tail-draggers on the other hand!

wait what? what is 30 punters? is that like a foot ball player?

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Sorry... antipodean (and probably British) colloquialism... It could be 30 punters, although you'd probably wind up with a brawl in back between teams with that many egos in a confined space. There could be thirty passengers of any persuasion - goalies, running backs, accountants, actresses, floor sweepers (although unlikely to be able to afford a trip on a Connie or Strat). They'd each rack up 100nm, times thirty of them gives you 3,000 passenger miles. :D
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Dudley, pilottj and cessna lover make excellent points. The only point I'd make in response - as a longtime follower of FlightChops - is that a big part of the appeal is that Steve doesn't claim to be an expert or to be presenting instructional material. An ongoing theme is that he's honest about his mistakes and reactions (he started doing videos as a way to critique his own lessons; the public channel came later). So I don't think he's saying objectively that the T-6 is the most difficult airplane to fly (and note the question mark in the title), only that the thought crossed his mind that it might be, and that he finds the idea of flying one a bit intimidating. Which is probably a pretty normal first reaction. It'll be interesting to see if that changes as he progresses through the training. I'm guessing it will, and that he'll wind up pretty much in agreement with Dudley and others. Should be fun to find out - and then to watch him take on the Spitfire at some future point.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

I don't thin it is. if this is modeled after the real thing which I think it is the T-6 is not that hard to fly at all. I have 3 hours on my virtual T-6 and love the thing. I even got to do some aerobatics with it. I think what he means by difficult to fly could be from the rear seat maybe? now that I could see being difficult. but from the front not s much. cause from what I have read the WW2 pilots loved it to cause it's forgiving. and nice to fly.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”