the most difficult plane to fly?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: the most difficult plane to fly?

Post by Alan_A »

While you guys are waiting for the next FlightChops T-6 video (it'll probably be up a week from Friday), here's something to tide you over. Steve Thorne, who does FlightChops, arranged for Jason Miller (a CFII with a newer YouTube channel) to get some time in the same T-6 with the same instructor. It's brief, but fun, and interesting both for some points of technique (harmonizing rudder and aileron in turns) and for a different attitude. Jason: "An airplane is an airplane is an airplane." Instructor: Um, well, mostly.

Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCbEDXVGRMU[/youtube]
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

hoeser
Airman Basic

Post by hoeser »

Very cool thread guys.

Dudley is absolutely correct with what he says about the T6. It's not a particularly difficult airplane to fly when flown within its envelope, it just must be given the proper respect. It definitely demands immediate corrective action for all directional deviations on rollout, if you're in front of the airplane it really is quite a delight... if you get too far behind it will bite you very quickly. Thankfully Steve (FlightChops) has what I call "fast feet" or "strong kung fu" and is quite good at keeping it rolling in a straight line.

-David Carrick
-DFO, Canadian Historical Aircraft Association

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

speaking of hard to fly can you fly the A2A T-6 from the back seat on FSX? I'm not 100% but I don't think one can. the view I don't think is there for it?

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

cessna lover wrote:speaking of hard to fly can you fly the A2A T-6 from the back seat on FSX? I'm not 100% but I don't think one can. the view I don't think is there for it?
Yes.

It's a bit weird at first, but not that hard.

I use ChasePlane to set views. In straight FSX, you can move the eyepoint backwards with the keyboard controls, or tinker with the view settings in aircraft.cfg.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

ah ha. that's what I am talking about. to bad I don't have chase plane. :lol: dad gummit I took a look at it and it says it's beta

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

cessna lover wrote:ah ha. that's what I am talking about. to bad I don't have chase plane. :lol: dad gummit I took a look at it and it says it's beta
I've been using it for over a year and it has performed flawlessly. I think it's only "beta" because they keep tinkering and improving. One of the best add-ons I've ever bought.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

oh ok. I may have a look at that some time when I get some money. lol try flying an airplane from the right seat some time. that's kind of fun to. lol

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

well I know when I first got the A2A P-51D Mustang that thing would bite me every time. I could not fly it for any thing even getting a take off was really hard for me. the T-6 was a teddy bear for me compared to the Mustang. now that's an airplane you need to stay ahead of. but her and I get along now. same with the B-17 when I got it I could not taxi it. but I found out that the turbos for some reason need to be set for taxi :?: but it works cause I can get that to taxi/fly now to

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There is a backseat view, just press A to cycle the views.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Oracle427 wrote:There is a backseat view, just press A to cycle the views.
sweet thank you sir. next time I get in the 6 I will try that :D

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

another plane that's difficult to land for me is the Connie. and if you like those check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezw_9ftLpA that should give you some thing to do when either hanger flying or when taking a break from FSX :D

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Here's the second FlightChops T-6 video. Landings, this time. Already posted in the T-6 forum.

This one gets right to the heart of what we've been talking about. Steve: "...it's been 20 years of worrying about this thing." Instructor: "You've really built this thing up. You've made it seem like an insurmountable [obstacle]... it's really not a bad airplane to fly."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcPQA_Z5ufI[/youtube]
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cessna lover wrote:another plane that's difficult to land for me is the Connie. and if you like those check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezw_9ftLpA that should give you some thing to do when either hanger flying or when taking a break from FSX :D
I'll give you a tip on flying a heavy. This worked quite well for me.

I was given the opportunity once to fly a DC8 and land it. It wasn't the easiest thing I ever did in an airplane. I discovered quickly when I took the controls that the secret to handling these large aircraft was in learning to understand and deal with control lag.
If you try and handle a transport expecting the same response from the controls that you get in smaller aircraft you will be behind the airplane constantly.
Learn to lead your corrections and you'll be ok with a Connie. This is what worked for me in the DC8. Granted the Connie is a different control system than the 8 but the theory is the same.
About the approach;
The trick there is to have the aircraft more or less stabilized on heading and glide path by the time you either reach the Outer Marker if shooting the approach or where the marker would be if you are visual. Then the trick to a good landing is keeping the corrections small. That means acting quickly and smoothly to any deviation from where you want the aircraft.
Do that and arrive lined up with the numbers when you get there and the landing should go well. If you find yourself making BIG corrections on the approach you are allowing way too much movement before acting to correct.
Dudley Henriques

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
cessna lover wrote:another plane that's difficult to land for me is the Connie. and if you like those check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezw_9ftLpA that should give you some thing to do when either hanger flying or when taking a break from FSX :D

I was given the opportunity once to fly a DC8 and land it. It wasn't the easiest thing I ever did in an airplane. I discovered quickly when I took the controls that the secret to handling these large aircraft was in learning to understand and deal with control lag.
If you try and handle a transport expecting the same response from the controls that you get in smaller aircraft you will be behind the airplane constantly.
Learn to lead your corrections and you'll be ok with a Connie. This is what worked for me in the DC8. Granted the Connie is a different control system than the 8 but the theory is the same.
About the approach;
The trick there is to have the aircraft more or less stabilized on heading and glide path by the time you either reach the Outer Marker if shooting the approach or where the marker would be if you are visual. Then the trick to a good landing is keeping the corrections small. That means acting quickly and smoothly to any deviation from where you want the aircraft.
Do that and arrive lined up with the numbers when you get there and the landing should go well. If you find yourself making BIG corrections on the approach you are allowing way too much movement before acting to correct.
Dudley Henriques
that and I think she needs some power on the landing she don't don't like to idle down to the runway like other planes do.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cessna lover wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

About the approach;
Dudley Henriques
that and I think she needs some power on the landing she don't don't like to idle down to the runway like other planes do.
You will be carrying a varying amount of power over the fence depending on your sink rate. You might even carry some power into your touchdown for the same reason. It's ok to do that. Just cut back to ground idle after touchdown.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”