64 Bit Revisited.. new topic.. old subject..

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

64 Bit Revisited.. new topic.. old subject..

Post by CessnaSkypilotN7365W »

A2A, Why won't you jump on the 64 bit band wagon? Do you honestly think we are going to stay loyal and hang on to the limited abilities of 32 bit forever when we see all these live streams and videos made with X-Plane that we can't have?

NEWSFLASH>>> We want X-Plane and we very much want to take our planes with us! Why won't you accommodate us on this?? Is it that hard to rewrite some code? Instead of creating new airplanes for a dying world why not adapt the ones you have done already for a wealth of us loyal customers that want more out of our experience!

And please spare us the old "Well there's P3D." That's been your cop-out for too long now.

Me personally, I love my Cessna 182 and there are so many more of your planes I want in my hangar. Unfortunately I refuse to spend any more of my sim money on this architecture. Your loss... :(

..and just for the record I'm retired and if I knew how to code I would voluntarily do the 182 for free. That's how passionate I feel about this subject!

Roger

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: 64 Bit Revisited.. new topic.. old subject..

Post by Oracle427 »

NEWSFLASH - X-Plane is a closed architecture platform that does not permit A2A to extend the base sim engine. Laminar Research has to open the door first.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Oracle427 wrote:NEWSFLASH - X-Plane is a closed architecture platform that does not permit A2A to extend the base sim engine. Laminar Research has to open the door first.
laymens terms please

so xplane won't allow A2A to provide their customers with addon aircraft? If I contacted them they would confirm this?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You can't code Accusim on top of X-Plane. You have to construct add-ons within the confines of X-Planes core engine. There is far more flexibility with the FSX and P3D software architecture. You can compute aerodynamics, gauge behaviors, all externally and then override the values that the base sim engine is using. In X-Plane you either have the functionality to invoke, or you don't.

Take for example, the ground handling. Everyone has been trying to solve it forever. It hasn't been a priority for Laminar Research, so you have to slide along the ground sideways in any aircraft in a crosswind of merely 5 knots. It completely ruins the realism of the takeoff and landing. Without the right physics, it is absolutely impossible to deliver A2A J-3, T-6, Spitfire, P-47 or Mustang.

The vast majority of the features that Accusim brings to the table are external to FSX/P3D.

That said, what do you want from X-Plane that is lacking in FSX/P3D? I am able to replicate my real world flights with very realistic visuals, real world weather, and a particular pet peeve of mine realistic ground handling. 64-bit doesn't mean anything at all. I can write and compile a 64-bit "hello world" program in a minute. What specifically are you seeking?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Out of the box what's not to like?

* Better, realistic textures, both night and day.
* Better looking weather that actually matches real world.
* Sloped airports as in the real world.
* A wealth of free scenery and airports on the website from users that isn't out of date.
* The ability to make use of my system instead of just a portion of it. As is most of my system just sits there and creates heat.

All this for one low price!

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

SkyPilot_32908 wrote:A2A, Why won't you jump on the 64 bit band wagon? Do you honestly think we are going to stay loyal and hang on to the limited abilities of 32 bit forever when we see all these live streams and videos made with X-Plane that we can't have?

NEWSFLASH>>> We want X-Plane and we very much want to take our planes with us! Why won't you accommodate us on this?? Is it that hard to rewrite some code? Instead of creating new airplanes for a dying world why not adapt the ones you have done already for a wealth of us loyal customers that want more out of our experience!

And please spare us the old "Well there's P3D." That's been your cop-out for too long now.

Me personally, I love my Cessna 182 and there are so many more of your planes I want in my hangar. Unfortunately I refuse to spend any more of my sim money on this architecture. Your loss... :(

..and just for the record I'm retired and if I knew how to code I would voluntarily do the 182 for free. That's how passionate I feel about this subject!

Roger
Alright. Let's break this down into it's component parts:

- "A2A, Why won't you jump on the 64 bit band wagon?"
They have, and they are. P3D v4 is 64-bit and A2A has several products, and the whole back catalogue coming in due course.

- "Do you honestly think we are going to stay loyal and hang on to the limited abilities of 32 bit forever when we see all these live streams and videos made with X-Plane that we can't have?"
What can't we have? Can't you have X-Plane? If so, why should A2A develop for it? And loyalty? As long as A2A is the best there is the quality will speak for itself. And P3D v4 is absolutely fantastic - as is XP-11, by the way.

- "We want X-Plane and we very much want to take our planes with us! Why won't you accommodate us on this?? Is it that hard to rewrite some code?"
Yes, the code is so different because of Accusim and the more closed system of XP. XPs system is sufficient for most other developers because they don't need the depth of Accusim.

- "And please spare us the old "Well there's P3D." That's been your cop-out for too long now."
Cop-out? Do you use P3D? Have you any idea how good it is? And do you think A2A does this just to spite you? Couldn't it be a rational and well thought through reason behind the lack of A2A in XP? Hint: There is. See above.

- "Your loss... :("
Well. Until you can find A2A-quality airplanes for XP, then it's your loss.

- "..and just for the record I'm retired and if I knew how to code I would voluntarily do the 182 for free."
I'm sure there are many people with and without the neccesary skills who would love to help. The XP-system seems to be a proper roadblock, sadly.

- "That's how passionate I feel about this subject!"
We are all passionate about Accusim, and for now P3D v4 is the future for A2A, unless other things are developing.

- "Roger"
Erik
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Last edited by Buffy Foster on 19 May 2018, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

This is a bit of an odd post. P3Dv4 works perfectly fine and is 64 bit. XPlane also works fine and is 64 bit. We do not need every addon to be available for both platforms - they both have their strengths and weaknesses. While I have nothing at all against XP11, I have a lot invested in P3Dv4 and don't really have a lot of incentive to move across, and for various reasons I don't really want to run both. Is my decision the "right" one? It is for me. I don't think I'm unique in that either - there's no mass exodus over to XP11 or anything of the sort going on. That's not a dig on it or anything.

A2A develops for FSX/P3D. Even if it were technically possible, which it isn't, it would be a monstrous time and financial investment to port Accusim airplanes over to XP11, and it's no guarantee at all that they'd recoup their expenses. That's a market analysis only they can perform.

I do know coding, to a point. I can tell you that it isn't going to be simply changing some values and compiling against a different set of libraries. Plus, not possible currently in XP11.

I would suggest enjoying XP11 with the multitude of addons available for it. Suggesting that P3Dv4, which is most certainly 64bit is a cop-out, is a bit disingenious.

-stefan

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I rather like my weather in P3D with ASP4 and ASCA. I can usually look out my window as I'm flying over my house, and it's a pretty close match, and that's with only the 1024 textures selected. I'm not sure if weather's since been developed for XP11, but I thought the default clouds were hideous when I tried it out last year.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Right from the beginning, A2A has been allowed access to the base engine that drives the physics in FSX. As far as I know, XPlane has never allowed that sort of access. It's no surprise then, that A2A went ahead with their Accu-sim program for FSX. P3D is an offshoot of the same engine and now 64 bit. It's fortunate for us that Lockheed didn't block access either.

They've been at it for ten years now, tweaking and perfecting the system. If Xplane suddenly granted access today, there would be a lot of ground to cover starting from scratch. It may not be worth it financially, I don't know.

Here's a thought. One day, when Scott is old and grey and had enough, he may decide to sell the rights of Accu-sim to Lockheed. They'd be fools to pass it up, in my opinion.

Cheers.

Steve.
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 19 May 2018, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

SkyPilot_32908 wrote:A2A, Why won't you jump on the 64 bit band wagon? Do you honestly think we are going to stay loyal and hang on to the limited abilities of 32 bit forever when we see all these live streams and videos made with X-Plane that we can't have?

Roger
Interesting post Roger and a bit aggressive to say the least. Don't you think this way of talking to us just might be a bit much?
Sorry you feel this way but from the tone of what you wrote I won't waste either my time or yours trying to be tactful.
The bottom line for various reasons mostly involving code we have never planned or don't plan to in the future go into the X-Plane business. If that is the direction you want to go please feel free to go there and take my best wishes with you.
Conversely, if A2A is your thing, we would very much like to have you stay with us and enjoy what we produce for FSX and P3D. We would hate to lose you. I would respectfully suggest however that if you do choose to remain here with us that you take a "nice pill" and back away from the tone you have used to communicate with us here.
If your reply to my post is an apology I accept it completely. If you answer this post with more of the same I've read here we'll simply let the chips fall where they may. I hope you choose the right road.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Interesting post Roger and a bit aggressive to say the least. Don't you think this way of talking to us just might be a bit much?
Sorry you feel this way but from the tone of what you wrote I won't waste either my time or yours trying to be tactful.
The bottom line for various reasons mostly involving code we have never planned or don't plan to in the future go into the X-Plane business. If that is the direction you want to go please feel free to go there and take my best wishes with you.
Conversely, if A2A is your thing, we would very much like to have you stay with us and enjoy what we produce for FSX and P3D. We would hate to lose you. I would respectfully suggest however that if you do choose to remain here with us that you take a "nice pill" and back away from the tone you have used to communicate with us here.
If your reply to my post is an apology I accept it completely. If you answer this post with more of the same I've read here we'll simply let the chips fall where they may. I hope you choose the right road.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques
You're right Dudley I was a bit too aggressive and my apologies. I just don't understand the apparent 'wall' there seems to be. I just want something more than FSX, don't understand which license I would want of P3D, and X-Plane looks really appealing. But again, I don't want to abandon my 182. I love it and know how to get around in it.
Do I need the professional lic or is student good enough for what I want. Do I need to be a 'student'?
Sorry again :)
Roger

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

SkyPilot_32908 wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Thank you
Dudley Henriques
You're right Dudley I was a bit too aggressive and my apologies. I just don't understand the apparent 'wall' there seems to be. I just want something more than FSX, don't understand which license I would want of P3D, and X-Plane looks really appealing. But again, I don't want to abandon my 182. I love it and know how to get around in it.
Do I need the professional lic or is student good enough for what I want. Do I need to be a 'student'?
Sorry again :)
Roger
No sweat Roger. I get that way myself sometimes. LOL

There are many reasons we are not into X-Plane, some of these have been covered by others above.
The reason we went with FSX initially was because it gave us a good platform to do what we wanted to do with Accusim. Now P3D is giving us the route to go into 64 bit and we are doing that. Both are robust stable systems and we project that stability well into the future.
It's complicated but basically what we are doing is simply using both FSX and P3D as a world in which to place our planes which through Accusim are capable of immersion and performance WELL above that found in the base simulator.
Actually, with the add on sceneries available today to augment FSX and P3D, I see no reason why your sim world can't be brought up to a standard equal to and even above that found in ANY simulator.
I could go on and on about this but basically what I'm saying here is that with a decent computer using either FSX or P3D coupled with what we are now producing and will be producing for the future, you should find your sim experience everything you have envisioned it should be.
So hang in with us. The Bonanza we will be releasing soon will be incorporating even newer Accusim features making the flying experience even more immersive, realistic, and accurate. The fidelity of the systems in the Bo will be a paradigm shift for Accusim and flying the Bo will be really something to experience.
As to the P3D license, my understanding is that there is no problem at all getting the Academic licence as there isn't a "punishment" with features involved between the various licenses. I am still running FSX so I'm not the expert there but I'm sure the guys here on the forum can verify what I've said or correct it for you.
So hang in there.
All the best,
Dudley Henriques
Last edited by DHenriques_ on 19 May 2018, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

As far as the P3D License goes, that is a can of worms. If in doubt, contact Lockheed Martin and speak to them. That said, I myself am using the Academic License, as I use P3D to study flight and practice flying in case I'm ever in a medical and financial situation where I can take flight lessons. A number of others are using the Academic license without issue for similar uses. Others have chosen the professional license because they felt they didn't qualify for the academic license. It's far from clear, which would explain your confusion about which one to get, but it's likely that whatever license you choose, you can likely expect no problems with it. But as said, if you're not clear, you can always contact Lockheed Martin. I'm not sure what they'll say, though.

It really is a huge can of worms with a lot of armchair lawyers misunderstanding how licensing terms can be enforced, though. P3Dv4 is really quite good, in my opinion.

-stefan

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

My input on the P3D license - the contract is only between LM and YOU! Not me or anyone else on this or any other forum.

Hopefully, the "arm chair lawyers" will leave this discussion alone and not drag it into either a legal or moral debate.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”