New Installer Issues

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
BrettT
Staff Sergeant

New Installer Issues

Post by BrettT »

Hi,

I followed the guidelines posted on uninstalling the old Accusim planes (note....when trying to do this in the past it is not uncommon for me to get an error when doing so). I have all of the P3DV4 products. I then deleted the add-ons folder for A2A and restarted P3Dv4 and none of my A2A products were in the aircraft hangar. I closed out P3D and attempted to install every single product with all installers giving me an error along the lines of "one of the programs that was attempting to execute was not able to" I even tried to do this as an admin....no luck. Any help is appreciated

edit - The exact error message is "There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: New Installer Issues

Post by patful »

They worked okay for me in Windows 10. I shut down Webroot, ran the installers as administrator, ignored the warning from Windows Defender (similar to Flight1 installer warning), and they installed properly.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Glad to hear it...no such luck here. I did remove the A2A entries from the app list using manually to clear them out

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Did you get the Defender warning? I've had it shut down some installers without ever giving a warning. Is it shutting down during the DirectX portion of the install?

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

That would be my guess (directx portion). I get the windows "installer warning" at the beginning but I just click on the install anyway

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Brett,

Sorry to hear you've had some problems with the new installers.

It's possible that something on your PC has blocked the update check part of the installation. (Although the DirectX or SimConnect installation being blocked is another possibility as you say.) Did you have any antivirus software running during the installation process, and if so, which one?

When the message came up, did the updater "roll back" the installation, or did it otherwise complete normally? In other words, were the aircraft installed in spite of the message?

Also by "installer warning" do you mean the warning that Windows has blocked an unrecognised app from running or words to that effect? If so, this is just because the installers are brand new, but once they've been downloaded for a day or two, Windows SmartScreen should recognise them as 'safe'.

Thanks,
Nick

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Hi Nick,

I have tried it with both the AV active and the AV paused. Kapersky is the AV I have installed

It appears that the updater rolled back the installation in that the aircraft were not installed despite the error

Yes the installer warning I am referring tois the one you are talking about....It is like you have said windows will think it is safe after it has been around a couple days

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info Brett.

Is the Windows account that you're running the installers from an administrator account?

Also, what directory do you have Prepar3D v4 installed to, and which version of P3Dv4 are you running?

Finally, which folder are you trying to install your A2A products in?

Thanks,
Nick

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Thanks Nick,

I am the admin for the windows account...so yes (tried installing as admin and just normally...same result)

P3DV4 is on my E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin.....

I have P3D4.1

I am installing into the default directory documents\P3Dv4 addons that the installer suggested

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Brett,

Another possibility here is that something on your system is preventing the installer from accessing the Prepar3D.exe. For this reason, the installer should alert you if the Prepar3D.exe can't be found or if it's already running.

In your installation, have you made any changes to the Prepar3D directory since installation such as renaming any folders or files? Also, do you have any other software running which could be accessing the Prepar3D.exe?

Nick

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Hi Nick,

Haven't made any changes to the P3D. I also do not have anything running that would affect it. Nothing is running in the background that would be accessing P3D.

Sorry

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Brett,

Okay, in that case please could you check to see if this file is present on your system and if possible post its contents here:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

By default this directory is hidden to protect its contents so you may need to 'unhide' it as described here.

Again, apologies for the issue. This is something that never cropped-up in beta testing but hopefully we can soon work out what's different on your system.

Thanks,
Nick

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Users\Brett\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.1]
PATH=C:\Users\Brett\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.2]
PATH=C:\Users\Brett\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\utLive
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

I even tried editing this and removing the A2A and the utlive (no longer installed) and reindexing and then reinstalling with no luck

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Brett. Please can you try the following.

Edit the add-ons.cfg file so it shows just this...

[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Users\Brett\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Then save and close it.

Then try running one of the new A2A installers and immediately after it quits with the error message (don't run P3D beforehand), reopen the add-ons.cfg to see if it's written the A2A entry to it successfully.

Thanks,
Nick

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Hi Nick,

I will do that when I get home this afternoon. Just got into work. Is there any other homework you would like to assign me that I can try this evening when you are off duty :)

Thanks,

Brett

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”