A2A airplanes and Flight1 GNS GPS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
avduarri
Senior Airman

A2A airplanes and Flight1 GNS GPS

Post by avduarri »

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if someone with the news installers have tried the new Flight1 GNS support in their A2A airplanes. If so, would be nice to see some pics or videos to see how it looks.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A airplanes and Flight1 GNS GPS

Post by taildraggin68 »

Here ya go...... 8)

Cherokee

Comanche

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

Looks good. Any issue with them?
I have the GTN and I started thinking about purchasing the GNS too but the fact that it doesn't allow to load airways and the way to write (with the knob) makes me think twice.

Thank you for the pictures.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

No, I don't really have any major issues with either the GTN or GNS for what I do and the limited time to fly. I do prefer the GTN for the modern conveniences, but at times it is almost easier to stay with the default gps or just fly with the needles.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

The GTN is modern technology, akin to current touch screen smart phones, while the GNS is equivalent to older flip phones. The GNS is still a very capable piece of equipment, just as an old flip phone is still very useful for doing what it was intended to do. As such many real world airplanes (used) that have a GPS still use a GNS or KLN98B or such. They still perform all the tasks required for modern IFR flight. That and a lot of pilots now use IPADs and such for inflight flight plan info, so a GTN is not required. I don't know many pilots who would replace their GNS with a $20,000 GTN, especially in old airplanes. Its like owning a $1000 Stereo, then paying for a $3000 stereo that only has a few more conveniences.

So if you want to simulate real world scenario in which at least 75% of the used GA fleet equipped with GPS, then the GNS is the way to go. Also remember, with the GNS, isn't an FMS, it is basically just a tool that will tell your CDI/HSI to point to a list of waypoints, so it is not necessary to enter the ENTIRE flight plan. Just enter waypoints in which a course change is required.

In the context of flight simming, the only real drawback of the GNS is that GNS trainer and database is old and likely won't be updated, while the GTN is updated on occasion. I like the GTN for convenience but find it's 'Fisher Price' layout/looks less appealing. I like the GNS for it's 'no frills' layout. I don't need cute icons, I just want the info clearly displayed. :D

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

My problem with the GNS is that in the sim, it's difficult to manipulate the knobs - probably more difficult than in real life, where you're not reliant on a mouse, and you can get into a rhythm turning the knobs with your fingers. So for me the GTN has been a better simulator option, even if it isn't realistic for most GA aircraft or GA fliers.

That said, I'm tempted to give the GNS another chance - I agree that no frills, low budget has its own kind of appeal.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

Alan_A wrote:My problem with the GNS is that in the sim, it's difficult to manipulate the knobs - probably more difficult than in real life, where you're not reliant on a mouse, and you can get into a rhythm turning the knobs with your fingers. So for me the GTN has been a better simulator option, even if it isn't realistic for most GA aircraft or GA fliers.

That said, I'm tempted to give the GNS another chance - I agree that no frills, low budget has its own kind of appeal.
I agree with you. And at this price point... Owning the GTN... It's difficult to buy the GNS without discounts. I'm not saying that the GNS doesn't worth the money, simply that owning another GPS yet it's hard to spend that money

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Have been thinking more about the GPS options and taildraggin68's post struck a chord. I go through a cycle where I work with one of the addon GPS units, then get tired of managing more complexity and revert to the default (or to the CDI). There's a lot to be said for simplicity, not to mention less burden on the CPU.

The default GPS gets a bad rap, but it's actually surprisingly capable if you dig into it. It doesn't have all the features of a Garmin 500, but it has a number of useful ones. Another advantage - unlike the Garmin GNS trainer, it's possible to keep the default up to date via a Navigraph subscription and fsaerodata, which reads the Navigraph AIRAC into the sim.

Again, am not against the Flight1 GNS option and I may yet try it, but I think I'll reacquaint myself with the default first.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”