New computer build

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

New computer build

Post by n421nj »

So thanks to a water leak I will be getting a new Pc:

Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus hero X
CPU: intel i7-8700k
GPU: nvidia gtx 1080
RAM: Corsair vengeance ddr4-3000

Anyone have the same mobo and cpu that could walk me through over clocking chip to 5ghz?

Can’t wait to see how fsx looks on this beast.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Buffy Foster

Re: New computer build

Post by Buffy Foster »

Well i have the Hero IX and i7700K, I didnt do anything fancy just used the utility in the BIOS and let it auto config, which gave me 4.9GHz and works real nice.

Also, I had lots of crash problems when I had their Windows tuning program installed; once I uninstalled it, that stopped happening. So you might not want to install it.

-Buffy

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Just a heads-up. I saw a link over at Avsim in the hardware section about an 8086K anniversary edition chip with a list turbo of 5GHz (most likely a hand selected 8700K). The formal announcement looks like it will be in about a week.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

See how you get on without the overclock would be my first suggestion, that's one hell of a rig that wont need it to be honest.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

BrettT wrote:Just a heads-up. I saw a link over at Avsim in the hardware section about an 8086K anniversary edition chip with a list turbo of 5GHz (most likely a hand selected 8700K). The formal announcement looks like it will be in about a week.
Not that it is gospel, or that I even know what I'm talking about, but the general consensus is indeed that the 8086k is a factory-binned 8700k. There are suspicions that because of that binning, the good 8700k's will also get harder to find. Who knows?

However, Anandtech concluded "save your money" on the 8086k with a caveat: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12945/th ... -review/16

For those just running it stock, they figure the extra cost isn't worth the slight performance increase over the 8700k. But they go on to discuss its headroom for overclocking that the 8086k has and that’s where it shines. For those who delid and overclock, it’s a tasty chip. People are pushing them to 5.4 GHz but many are stopping at 5.2-5.3.

For those running VR, this could make for a really good system. Silicon Lottery will have delidded and binned chips on the 17th (https://siliconlottery.com/collections/ ... 0922092630) The sold out signs are just placeholders for now since they don’t have them for sale yet.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

And more and more rumors flying about the 11 series Nvidia GPUs hitting in July/August. No official word yet but lots of talk of Nvidia briefing board partners and all the other tell-tale signs that a new GPU is about to hit and with some major new capabilities, better clocks, GDDR6, etc. Time will certainly tell...

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-gef ... ng-hdmi-21

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-gef ... t-chips-30

It's been reported that only NVIDIA's own GeForce GTX 1180 Founders Edition cards will make the cut for a July launch, while cards from third-party manufacturers will come in August. The enthusiast-class GeForce GTX 1180 is expected to include 3,584 CUDA cores with a base GPU clock of 1.6GHz and a boost frequency of 1.8GHz. Up to 16GB of GDDR6 memory will be included and we can expect roughly 13 TFLOPs of FP32 compute performance.

If that is true, these will be monsters! :shock:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Fingers crossed for the 11 series being not too expensive too lol :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

IF you reach 5GHz (which is far from guaranteed, silicon lottery and all that) then make sure you have some really good cooling since Intel use cheap TIM (Thermal Interface Material) between the die and the heatspreader rather than proper solder like AMD, for example, use on most of their processors. I'd agree with Lewis though, I bet you won't see too much of a performance increase since the 8700k turbos pretty high, especially on the first couple of cores which incidentally are the ones FSX/P3D utilizes the most. Still, you would need proper cooling for it to even turbo properly. The Intel stock cooler is woefully inadequate for prolonged CPU intensive tasks and might actually throttle the CPU down to lower frequencies.

Cheers!/Andreas
Cheers!/Andreas

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Is RGB a brand? You might try reading/asking places like reddit.com/r/buildapc or similar. This kind of question has been asked a lot and there is lots of good advice out there. Lots of bad advice too where someone pushes a part because it’s what they bought. You will see what kinds of detail you should supply when asking open-ended questions like this. Assembling a computer is actually really easy if you are even slightly technically inclined but there are lots of considerations in the parts you choose, the main purpose(s) of the system and what you want to emphasize. Places like Newegg.com have bundles ready to go but even with those, there are choices depending on what you want to do with the system. And there are gotcha things like proper handling to prevent static shock damage (ESD), how to properly set a CPU, apply thermal paste, etc. Are you comfortable with those things?

In general, I'd recommend a good SSD for where you put your sims for good performance, and not to get a cheap power supply since that can be the cause of all sorts of problems especially if you do things like overclock and push things to the limit.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

RGB isnt a brand its just lighting for the pc Red Greenm Blue - RGB. Its the current trend in PC gaming industry and I will admit I do enjoy my RGB Keyboard haha :mrgreen:

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Ah! I like my old style QWERTY here. :D

Thanks!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZB52gYIVU

Thats my one, does a great job and super enjoying the Cherry MX Reds for gaming and a proper type sound :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”