Bonanza is in beta

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Bonanza is in beta

Post by Scott - A2A »

The Bonanza has been in beta for well over a week. I wanted to post some screens and more info but we're still putting in little details into the cockpit (it's difficult to post WIP shots of our planes....). We just want the aircraft to look really nice before making posts.

We've made a lot of improvements in this past week and are putting a new beta build up tomorrow for the testers to chew on. We still don't have an estimate of when it will be done with beta and released, but we cannot wait :)

This is the first airplane we've made with tip tanks and tip tank fuel transfer pumps. The Comanche treats each tip like a separate tank, that you have to select. You can choose either a tip or main on each side to run (both mains, left main / right tip, both tips, one tip, one main, etc). On the Bonanza, you are always drawing from either the left or right main tank and use transfer pumps to pump fuel from the tip to the main tank via switches. The first plane I flew that operated this way was the Comanche 400 - it's a different way of managing fuel.

With the new deeper gauge physics technology being introduced with the Bonanza, already testers are making reports like "Oil pressure is too high all the time" only to later post "oh, it turns out it's just a stuck gauge. I tapped it and it started working again." We're really trying to push the experience of operating these amazing, analog, imperfect, beautiful machines deeper. Flying is easy when everything is as expected, but flying airplanes is all about understanding the machine, learning how it operates, and working the systems to conduct a successful flight.

Also, Mitchell Glicksman has written another masterpiece manual for this airplane. There is a lot of deep discussion about the airplane and all the history behind it.

The Bonanza is also going to be our fastest GA single engine airplane. When lightly loaded, and especially with the 300hp Continental 6 cylinder engine installed, you can reach 200mph cruise speeds. And while the Bonanza has a much more abrupt stalling characteristic than the Comanche, it's much easier to land. The flare is just more predictable and natural. It's much easier to look good landing a Bonanza than a Comanche. And... I have to admit, I like that.

We'll try to get some screenshots up soon.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: Bonanza is in beta

Post by patful »

Thanks for the update, Scott! Can't wait to get my favorite GA aircraft! Will it possible to apply the new gauge physics to the previous P3D offerings once you work the kinks out?

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I have a spot reserved for it! \o/

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks for the update Scott. Just yesterday I was thinking it’s gotten very quiet on here. The new features to the Bonanza sound great. I’m looking forward to the new gauge physics and the upcoming screenshots.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Great news, Scott. Thanks for the progress update. Like you, we also can't wait for the release :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

I've read that the Bonanza fuel system has a few tricks. If I remember correctly, the left main tank has to be selected first to draw some fuel, as the fuel return line goes to that tank so you need to create some space for that return. Is this modelled?

I like the new gauge physics. This should make the Bonanza flying experience much more involving. Also, I hope the manual will be released a few days before the plane is released. I always enjoy reading Mitchell's work, and print them out to store in a binder. Sometimes, it's handy to have the manual open as you fly, particularly when practicing emergency conditions. I usually fly lightly loaded, but with the Bonanza trying out emergency procedures with an aft CG could raise the pucker factor by some degrees. :D

Looking forward to seeing those screen shots.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Great update Scott! The new gauge physics and more involved tank management really has me intrigued. Crunch mode ON, right?
Cheers!/Andreas

aurel42
Airman First Class

Post by aurel42 »

Scott - A2A wrote:With the new deeper gauge physics technology being introduced with the Bonanza, already testers are making reports like "Oil pressure is too high all the time" only to later post "oh, it turns out it's just a stuck gauge. I tapped it and it started working again."
This made me grin from ear to ear. I sometimes tap gauges just as part of my roleplay, for mah immershun.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Lovely, this is where the fun starts. :)
Dogsbody55 wrote:I've read that the Bonanza fuel system has a few tricks. If I remember correctly, the left main tank has to be selected first to draw some fuel, as the fuel return line goes to that tank so you need to create some space for that return. Is this modelled?
At least the manual for N35 indicates two return lines from the selector valve, one to the each main tank. Fuel is returned to the selected tank per the manual.

-Esa

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Scott - A2A wrote:With the new deeper gauge physics technology being introduced with the Bonanza, already testers are making reports like "Oil pressure is too high all the time" only to later post "oh, it turns out it's just a stuck gauge. I tapped it and it started working again." We're really trying to push the experience of operating these amazing, analog, imperfect, beautiful machines deeper.
Oh, by the way, something came into my mind. If you indeed model occasionally sticking gauges, do you also model the effects of the up-to 300 hp gauge tapper installed on the nose? :D Can the power plant vibrations shake the gauges free?

(This is actually a real-life consideration: altimeters in particular are such that they tend to stick and not follow correctly some slightest changes in altitude. In jets, they are typically equipped with a "shaker" that makes this characteristic fast-paced ticking sound in the cockpit. In piston GAs that is not needed for the most sensitive instruments as the power plant vibrations help in keeping the needle moving. I don't know whether any other gauges than altimeters commonly come with in-built shakers.)

-Esa

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AKar wrote:Oh, by the way, something came into my mind. If you indeed model occasionally sticking gauges, do you also model the effects of the up-to 300 hp gauge tapper installed on the nose? :D Can the power plant vibrations shake the gauges free?

(This is actually a real-life consideration: altimeters in particular are such that they tend to stick and not follow correctly some slightest changes in altitude. In jets, they are typically equipped with a "shaker" that makes this characteristic fast-paced ticking sound in the cockpit. In piston GAs that is not needed for the most sensitive instruments as the power plant vibrations help in keeping the needle moving. I don't know whether any other gauges than altimeters commonly come with in-built shakers.)

-Esa
Good point Esa. Just look at sailplanes. The altimeters in sailplanes are notorious to be off by as much 100-150ft if you don’t tap them every once in a while. The problem was especially bad when you were flying around the same altitude for a while like on a day with very weak thermals. Something I learned when I started flying about 20 years ago (sidenote I’m getting old). I’ve never experienced that in a piston powered plane and I never gave much thought to it but it makes perfect sense that the vibration of the engine is shaking the needles free so to speak and makes them easier to move.

Man I didn’t think Accusim could go much deeper then on the most recent releases but there so much more we can hope to see in the future (and from what Scott says we will see some in the Bonanza).

Exciting times for flightsimming
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

I really like this gauge tapping stuff. How is it going to work? Click the gauges a few times with the mouse? I'm leaving my sim for three months starting on the 5th of June, so sadly I might not be able to fly this bird until the end of August. :( That's ok, I'll just have something to look forward to at home. :)

You say the 400 works with transfer pumps for the tip tanks too. That's interesting, maybe it was easier for them to do that than add new fuel lines as the 400 already has 2 tanks in each wind without the tips. I don't think tip tanks are necessary in the 400 it already can fly from southern Florida to panama non stop without the tip tanks. :)

Again, this is great news. I can't wait to fly it.

Once the Bonanza is released will we be finding out more about the secret project?????? :)
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Just look at sailplanes. The altimeters in sailplanes are notorious to be off by as much 100-150ft if you don’t tap them every once in a while. The problem was especially bad when you were flying around the same altitude for a while like on a day with very weak thermals. Something I learned when I started flying about 20 years ago (sidenote I’m getting old).
We did meters in gliders...I remember jumps as large as almost 100 meters when slightly kicking the panel after a period of very smooth gliding flight. A bit disconcerting to find out when coming in to the landing pattern entry as a young, ten-hour pilot. :mrgreen:

The shakers used in jets are fairly distinct, easily heard in this video for example.
Piper_EEWL wrote:Man I didn’t think Accusim could go much deeper then on the most recent releases but there so much more we can hope to see in the future (and from what Scott says we will see some in the Bonanza).

Exciting times for flightsimming
Indeed, and I must say that these kind of features are precisely what I've been hoping for since the announcement of the 172. I don't say I would have been disappointed to any of the GA releases so far (far from it), but as Accu-sim is all about "living & breathing machines", I've been thinking that so much of this is still untouched. Apart from being Bonanza, the next release appears to specifically extent into this regime. After this, I think we are finally ready for a twin! :D

Damn, what a year for flight sim! A2A Bonanza pushing the GA further on, DCS major module, the Hornet, is into early access, FSL A319 with proper icing and "buggy" windshield introduced, Condor 2 for glider fans like me... and we are only half way through. Oh my. :)

-Esa

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AKar wrote:We did meters in gliders...I remember jumps as large as almost 100 meters when slightly kicking the panel after a period of very smooth gliding flight. A bit disconcerting to find out when coming in to the landing pattern entry as a young, ten-hour pilot. :mrgreen:

The shakers used in jets are fairly distinct, easily heard in this video for example.
Yes we of course used meters too. I was just trying to keep it international here :wink: . And yes you're right it could throw your glide calculation off and that's why I learned to tap it. Just gently but frequently.

I was not aware that jets had those shakers. Very interesting indeed. But it makes perfect sense...
AKar wrote:Indeed, and I must say that these kind of features are precisely what I've been hoping for since the announcement of the 172. I don't say I would have been disappointed to any of the GA releases so far (far from it), but as Accu-sim is all about "living & breathing machines", I've been thinking that so much of this is still untouched. Apart from being Bonanza, the next release appears to specifically extent into this regime. After this, I think we are finally ready for a twin! :D

Damn, what a year for flight sim! A2A Bonanza pushing the GA further on, DCS major module, the Hornet, is into early access, FSL A319 with proper icing and "buggy" windshield introduced, Condor 2 for glider fans like me... and we are only half way through. Oh my. :)
I couldn't agree more. Even though I'm not much into military nor airline simulations anymore (I'm just lacking time for that) it sounds very exciting. I watched some youtube videos on the DCS Hornet and it looks amazing. I might give Condor 2 a try though if they have a demo version or something.

Happy flying

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Flight plan from Atlanta to Portland OR is going to be made today and on Monday I take DAL3450 from ATL to PDX in FSX

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

Thanks a lot for the update ! 8)

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”