Making the switch to P3D4.2 Opinions?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Making the switch to P3D4.2 Opinions?

Post by Paughco »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
patful wrote:I don't have the L39, but a quick search turned up this: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5115 ... s-not-die/
Sounds can be fixed, not sure about the strobes.
Thanks. That's an interesting thread.
DH
That post by Cargostorm on the bottom of page 1 describes the method I used to get the sounds to work for my MJ C-47 in P3Dv4. The MJ C-47 is the only non-A2A aircraft that I fly with any regularity.

Seeya
ATB

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:If anyone has installed the Lotus L39 into P3Dv4.2 can you give me the exact path to accomplish that?
It's installed now in FSX boxed and I'd like to have it in my new P3D sim if possible. It's the only non-A2A aircraft I would like to keep.
Also, if you have installed it in P3D does it contain any issues in P3D?
Thanks a lot for any help and assistance with this.
Dudley Henriques
Only one teensy weensy issue with the L-39, the strobe lights are in a world of their own and refuse to attache themselves to the plane. I just switch them off. Other than that, exactly like FSX. Oh, you'll need to replace the sound file to a 64 bit one.
I'd attach it but I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." My very first attachment too. :(
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:If anyone has installed the Lotus L39 into P3Dv4.2 can you give me the exact path to accomplish that?
It's installed now in FSX boxed and I'd like to have it in my new P3D sim if possible. It's the only non-A2A aircraft I would like to keep.
Also, if you have installed it in P3D does it contain any issues in P3D?
Thanks a lot for any help and assistance with this.
Dudley Henriques
Only one teensy weensy issue with the L-39, the strobe lights are in a world of their own and refuse to attache themselves to the plane. I just switch them off. Other than that, exactly like FSX. Oh, you'll need to replace the sound file to a 64 bit one.
I'd attach it but I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." My very first attachment too. :(

Thanks. After I switch I'll be getting Orbyx Global and Vector and Bill Womack's Block Island. Then I'll PM you before trying to install the L39 just to go over what I need to do if that's ok.
D

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Be delighted. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Just a bit of warning about P3D (not only v4): some settings are more heavy than others on the FPS. Especially the settings that didn't exist in FSX.
It's easy to activate too much eye-candy and end up with terrible performance.
Unless your computer is very recent and powerful, I'd recommend you to keep the following options disabled:
- dynamic lighting
- "cast" shadow option for vegetation (most of the other shadow options are ok)
- bathymetry

Bonus recommendations:
- don't push the shadow drawing distances too far
- be careful with the antialiasing settings as well.
- start with unlimited FPS.
- keep all AI traffic to 0 at the start
- read about that TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP tweak that pushes the autogen drawing distance up to the horizon (depending on your video memory).
Last edited by Daube on 11 Jun 2018, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Daube wrote:Just a bit of warning about P3D (not only v4): some settings are more heavy than others on the FPS. Especially the settings that didn't exist in FSX.
It's easy to activate too much eye-candy and end up with terrible performance.
Unless your computer is very recent and powerful, I'd recommend you to keep the following options disabled:
- dynamic lighting
- "cast" shadow option for vegetation (most of the other shadow options are ok)
- bathymetry
- don't push the shadow drawing distances too far
- be careful with the antialiasing settings as well.
- start with unlimited FPS.
- keep all AI traffic to 0 at the start.
I have a Jetline Systems computer that's several years old but running FSX really well.
DH

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

What video card do you have in that computer ?

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

Does P3D require a computer with more power to run? I guess my question is will a computer that runs FSX ok be the same with P3D?

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I've had partial success with with sounds, porting this one into P3D. Even using the 64 bit dll tweak. I probably messed up somewhere. The JF Hawk T1 does just fine for me and it's P3D v4 friendly.

Steve

stew
Airman First Class

Post by stew »

85chevy4x4 wrote:Does P3D require a computer with more power to run? I guess my question is will a computer that runs FSX ok be the same with P3D?
What are your computer specs so we have an idea what we're talking about? Low- to Middle- end computers can run FSX fairly well if you don't overload the graphics settings, for example. P3Dv4? No way, in my opinion. Both sims require a pretty robust cpu and better than average gpu nowadays.

Stew
ImageImage Image

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

stew wrote:
85chevy4x4 wrote:Does P3D require a computer with more power to run? I guess my question is will a computer that runs FSX ok be the same with P3D?
What are your computer specs so we have an idea what we're talking about? Low- to Middle- end computers can run FSX fairly well if you don't overload the graphics settings, for example. P3Dv4? No way, in my opinion. Both sims require a pretty robust cpu and better than average gpu nowadays.

Stew

Processor- Intel i5 [email protected]
Ram- 8gb
GPU- Nvidia GTX 745 @ 4ghz I believe
Windows 10 64bit

Typically I can run FSX with an A2A plane and Orbx base, global, vector and freeware airports with Active Sky 16/Cloud Art and get 20-30fps. However if I go to a big city, it kills the FPS. Also if Active Sky loads a heavy cloud layer, my GPU tends to overheat.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I'm running i5 2500K with GTX 1070, and do see a significant improvement in performance in P3D over FSX (and over several P3D versions that is).

-Esa

stew
Airman First Class

Post by stew »

85chevy4x4 wrote:
stew wrote:

Stew

Processor- Intel i5 [email protected]
Ram- 8gb
GPU- Nvidia GTX 745 @ 4ghz I believe
Windows 10 64bit

Typically I can run FSX with an A2A plane and Orbx base, global, vector and freeware airports with Active Sky 16/Cloud Art and get 20-30fps. However if I go to a big city, it kills the FPS. Also if Active Sky loads a heavy cloud layer, my GPU tends to overheat.
Well, I think you'll find, if you haven't already, that your i5 6400 running @ 2.7 Ghz will be a bottleneck if you decide to upgrade to P3Dv4, not to mention the GTX 745 is getting a little long in the tooth. No offense, but if you can manage a reasonable upgrade of your rig, you'll have no trouble running P3D. With your current setup, you won't be able to take advantage of P3D's improvements over FSX, so there wouldn't be any point in installing P3D--you'd just have to back off on your settings anyway. And not that you're particularly concerned with OOMs, but those are a thing of the past with P3Dv4.

Stew
ImageImage Image

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

When comparing power requirements of FSX and P3D, a possible summary is:
- P3D requires as much CPU power (cores and GHz) as FSX
- P3D requires a more powerful video card
- P3D requires more video memory (RAM on the video card)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”