Sad end of Lufthansa L-1649?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Sad end of Lufthansa L-1649?

Post by R-2800-59 »

The latest statement of the Lufthansa Super Star restoration really ruined my day. After purchasing 4 L-1649s, spending around 200 million $ the project is about to be "moved" to Germany after residing in a purpose-built hangar in Auburn, Maine.
Hidden beneath those words might be a far darker fate for this beauty. For transportation the wings would be removed - and the wing root and main spar is not meant to be disassembled and will likely be compromised in this endeavour, leading to danger the airworthiness.

This could grow to be a sad ending to a very promising restoration, one could see some purpose in it to avoid further costs nearing completion.

Let's all hope for the best.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sad end of Lufthansa L-1649?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes from what I read she will never fly anyway, the project seems to have been steepted in mis-mangement given the massive amount involved with little to show meanwhile much smaller operations with much large timespans have been and gone and are now flying, while the connie has little to show. A real shame.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I’ve read the same thing and it is very sad indeed. I’m also almost convinced she’s never going to fly again which is a massive shame considering the progress that has been made with it. All engines are already restored and ready.

Let’s hope we’re all wrong and Lufthansa is gonna pull through with it.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

R-2800-59 wrote:[...] spending around 200 million $ the project [...]
Aw sh....let her sleep. Unless the investors are willing to let their sunken costs loose, that is a lost bird. At that rate, almost a certain.

I'm not sure there is a lesson, but if there was it would likely be that these aircraft have little or no investment value whatsoever. All value-in must be going purely into value-added to the part of the public enjoying these historic aircraft. If there is no community to fund the aircraft, it will be grounded, and remain so.

-Esa

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

I don't know enough about the economics of the project, but I can't imagine it helped that they set their goals so high. For example - the plan was to run revenue flights, instead of the usual association-based nonprofit structure. That in turn required additional steps at additional cost - such as the addition of a glass cockpit and modern autopilot (without which they wouldn't qualify for commercial certification). I'm left wondering if part of the problem was that they were too ambitious, and ran the cost structure up to the point where it wasn't sustainable.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”