TrackIR

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

TrackIR

Post by Blitzer »

Sorry probably not the most appropriate forum for this but hoping a fellow A2A-er might be able to help...

My TrackIR 5 recently stopped working, I don’t recall having changed any software or drivers etc. But basically the TIR software shows the unit as being detected, but basically does not function, I.e. detect the Track clip pro.

Have searched online and tried a few potential fixes and also contacted NaturalPoint (waiting for them to get back to me). These include completely uninstalling the TIR software and drivers, plus deleting files/folders manually and clearing the registry. Have also tried a clean install of graphics card divers but no difference.

Can get the TIR to work on a borrowed laptop, but even then it will only actually work if I cold boot the laptop. Exiting the software, or even restarting the laptop prevents the TIR working again once the software is reloaded. On my PC even this does not work, if I recall correctly it worked randomly a couple of time after the pc had been switched off, but now nothing at all.

Has anyone had similar problems with TIR not working like this and subsequently resolved the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

djbully
Airman

Re: TrackIR

Post by djbully »

Is that just with P3D/FSX or Track IR as a whole?

I did have some issues with P3D4, but resolved by re-installing the simconnect.msi from the redist folder in P3d install folder. Also make sure running TIR software as administrator (Right click and run as Administrator).

But that was only in P3d, everything else that used TIR was working fine with no messing required.
EGHI

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

TIR as a whole. The TIR software can see it, but it is as if the unit that sits on the monitor simply does not come to life. Very strange it has been very reliable and I cannot think of any recent changes to,my system.

Tried it again this morning and it worked from a cold boot. I was also able to unplug the USB connection, and reconnect successfully, I.e. it still detected pro-clip movement. Also it would work if I disconnected the USB, exit the software, re-run the software and then reconnect the USB.

Hoping it still works this evening and there after that the answer is to disconnect the USB cable before closing the software... fingers crossed!

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Just a thought, are you always using the same USB port? I have had USB ports fail, in one case, the connectors actually were pushed back into the housing a bit. Was able to repair it though.

Could be more of a "mechanical" issue, or hardware than software.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

TBryson2 wrote:Just a thought, are you always using the same USB port? I have had USB ports fail, in one case, the connectors actually were pushed back into the housing a bit. Was able to repair it though.

Could be more of a "mechanical" issue, or hardware than software.
Have tried the four USB ports on the front of my PC and also tried it on a laptop. On the laptop it would seem to work from a cold boot only, and only providing I did not exit the software, if I did it would not longer work. My initial thought and to a degree hope was that it had basically suffered a hardware failure, now I am just in limbo.
I have a good opportunity to invest in a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS set-up for decent discount, but that could be an expensive mistake if I cannot resolve the TIR issue - hate flying without TIR now. :(

Thanks. :)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Sure sounds like a hardware issue. You have tried a different computer so kinda of eliminates a software problem. Have you made sure you have it set up properly and have the correct input device selected (track clip vs vector clip). Since it worked prior then you obviously have the correct software version. I did find this.

Alerts and Notices

TrackIR 5 cameras with serial numbers 268500 or higher require software version 5.4.0 or newer.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

dvm wrote:Sure sounds like a hardware issue. You have tried a different computer so kinda of eliminates a software problem. Have you made sure you have it set up properly and have the correct input device selected (track clip vs vector clip). Since it worked prior then you obviously have the correct software version. I did find this.

Alerts and Notices

TrackIR 5 cameras with serial numbers 268500 or higher require software version 5.4.0 or newer.
Yeh, had not actually changed anything in the set-up and have done a lot of different things to try and recreate a pattern where it works or not. I did initially think it was a hardware problem, but then when trying it on the laptop it seemed to work albeit with a few quirks.

I am actually starting to wonder again if it the hardware, it’s almost like it fails to initialise when connected via USB or the TiR software is run.

For reference and assuming the TIR serial no. Is that displayed under device on the software,,it would appear mine may be quite old: 122924

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

TIR ought to be in a USB port direct. i.e. one on the motherboard, not an expansion card.

Disclaimer: In my experience
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Ron Attwood wrote:TIR ought to be in a USB port direct. i.e. one on the motherboard, not an expansion card.

Disclaimer: In my experience
Yeh get where you are coming from, but have had the TIR for years running it without issue through case mounted USB connections. Also not working reliably on a laptop either. I may well give a motherboard mounted USB port a try if it does not work this evening.

Tbh, if it is the hardware failing then I’d rather it just died completely, would get another if I was certain the problem is the hardware rather than a software issue. [edit] if VR headsets were more wallet friendly I would be tempted by that route... :)

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

After exchanging a few e-mails with NaturalPoint regarding the issues with my TrackIR I think the consensus is that it is likely a hardware issue as I first suspected. Given I had my TrackIR for 8 years in regular use I think it has served me well and I have got my monies worth out of it!

I can send it away for repair for about $50, but as far as I am aware at this point that would be to the US. I suspect by the time I added international shipping from/to the UK there would be little saving over buying a replacement.

Paul

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

"Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky. All we are is dust in the wind" :D

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

dvm wrote:"Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky. All we are is dust in the wind" :D
Cheerful bugger! :D

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Aah, that's nice. :)

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
I have now ordered a new TrackIR hoping it is the hardware that has failed which is the expectation.

Paul

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”