New Controllers

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Re: New Controllers

Post by BrettT »

@Alan

The basic idea of my setup is similar to DVMs picture. Main difference is I built a bit so my receptacle is attached to the floor. Also I mad the receptacle and inserts from 2x4's and 3/4" plywood instead of wood. If I get the chance I will take some pics and post them

@everyone

fwiw the Saitek combat rudder pedals don't have a heel lip so they allow for you to have your heels on the floor as well.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Alan_A wrote: @Blitzer - your challenges sound like mine. I've got a little more space now - enough for two desks in a converted bedroom - but it wasn't always that way.

In all, I think you'll do well with the Warthog - maybe with some mods, but you can experiment with them later (none of them are all that expensive).

One other option I should have mentioned is the CH joysticks - Combatstick and Fighterstick. They're very precise and feel lighter than the Warthog. The question there is whether you like the plastic construction or not. The Warthog certainly feels more like pro hardware. But IIRC, Dudley has had good things to say about CH.

This SimHQ Warthog review - including comparisons - might be helpful. It's not new but should still be current.

Good luck with the final choice and let us know where you come out.
Hi Alan/all,

I can confirm I have taken the plunge and ordered the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Crosswind pedals and new TrackIR (see other thread).
Figured a 25% discount on the Thrustmaster gear was a sensible deal to take up and the Crosswinds also a worthy investment.
Both my current pedals and throttles are less than satisfactory in performance and I am sure had I only gone for the pedals and throttle I would wish I had got the stick to.

Upgraded my PC a year or so ago and switched to P3D v4 both of which improved the flight sim experience, I am confident my new purchases will only improve this further. :mrgreen:

Paul

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@BrettT - thanks for the additional info - definitely considering this as a future project.

@Blitzer - that's great news, you're definitely going to enjoy that setup. And as noted earlier, all the Thrustmaster equipment is extremely durable, which mitigates the cost a bit - my Warthog has traveled with me through my last four or five flightsim PCs. Hope you enjoy!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Hello all,

Received my Warthog HOTAS earlier this week, still early days and becoming familiar with it but so far so good. While then strong centring spring of the flight stick is quite alien after years of using the G940 FF stick it does have a very high quality feel so it and feels very smooth and precise.

As I suspected it has also highlighted the G940 rudder pedals as being the weakest link in my controller set-up, to be fair they have seen a lot of use so hardly surprising they do not feel as precise as I would like. Really looking forward to receiving my Crosswind pedals I’m really expecting them and the warthog HOTAS to have a positive impact on flight sim satisfaction. 8)

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

(Belated) congratulations on the Warthog - you're going to enjoy it once you get used to the heft and the resistance. And as noted, it'll be a nice match with the Crosswinds once you get them.

I'm waiting for a new, slightly longer (10 cm) Sahaj extension - in the meantime glad to be back on the Warthog, even the stock version, after adventures elsewhere.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Thanks Alan, I actually initially spent my time trying the warthog with DCS and xplane before finally giving P3D a whirl, was particularly interested to see what flying helos with it was like. Such a shame there’s no sign of a high quality helo for P3D on the horizon.

Really looking forward to getting the Crosswinds now, I am convinced they will also make a drastic difference and improve the accuracy of my rudder inputs.

Alll good so far! :D

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Payment for my Crosswind pedals has been sent, just got to wait for them to arrive now. :mrgreen:

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Blitzer wrote:Payment for my Crosswind pedals has been sent, just got to wait for them to arrive now. :mrgreen:
Well the Crosswinds arrived yesterday and although I am still getting used to them, first impressions are good and I think they meet my expectations in just about every way. :D
I have a corner desk which is not ideal as it makes it a little trickier to stop them moving during use. I was also surprised how strong the return spring is on the brakes (I have them set to the weakest position).

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”