Finally flying again in the real world

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Finally flying again in the real world

Post by CAPFlyer »

Back in June, I finally was able to get flying in the real world for the first time in almost 9 years. One of those flights was a 3-hour IFR cross-country to work on getting re-acquainted with the real ATC system and to get current on my IFR skills as I discovered that I had nearly enough time to take my instrument checkride.

I decided that I would take my GoPro with me and try filming the flight. I've experimented a little here and there with it in the past, but have never really gotten anything that I would deem acceptable as I didn't have a patch chord (none were made at the time) and the couple of times I filmed, I was flying in the right seat and I didn't feel comfortable posting their flying (not that it was bad, just seemed weird for me to post it and not them).

This is not what I'd call "prime time" ready footage, but I felt it acceptable enough to at least put out there as a starting point. I recently got Filmora and am learning it, and I got a bigger memory card and changed my settings a bit so hopefully next flight I'll be able to record more than just the first leg. I did edit a little bit to remove some long silences in the flight, but I tried to include all the clearances that pertained to me and a little bit of pertinent chatter between my instructor and me.

Any constructive critique is welcome (beware, it's still a 45 minute video). I do plan on being a bit better on the mounting location for the next flight. My question to anyone who watches this - would you rather an unobstructed view out the front and modified from this, or would you rather me put the camera more overhead between us so you can see the panel and outside if I can get the mount to stick?

https://youtu.be/0SeImQYeMxs

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”