OOOOOkay... This is killing me

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Re: OOOOOkay... This is killing me

Post by BrettT »

A question for Thos of you who have VR-experience:

How do you control your aircraft?

Joysticks, yokes and throttles work as usual I presume. But what about the virtual cockpits? How are they manipulated? After browsing through a couple of threads on other forums I understand the mouse cursor can't be displayed. Is that still true? Do you have to have everything mapped on your gaming peripherals and go by feel?

/Mats

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:23 am
I use my Thrustmaster HOtas along with a separate throttle quadrant for Mixture/Prop/Flaps. Aside from that I use my mouse which isn't as awkward as you would think. Flying Inside is good for bringing in the ATC window and other windows (charts, fligtplan, etc). I actually have them on my virtual lap, or place them on the virtual seat next to me. For applications like DCS I will use Voice Attack ($10 program) to handle the wingman commands.

I can't speak about the 970 GTX, I have a 1080 GTX but I would suspect the 970 would be on the low end of what would be acceptable or would really limit the amount of supersampling (pixel density) you can do which really does a nice job of smoothing out the picture. I suspect that for some of the higher resolution HMD that the 970 GTX would struggle for the same reason. Of course adjusting detail sliders to the left can always help out some as well too

Hope this helps

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

BrettT wrote:I can't speak about the 970 GTX, I have a 1080 GTX but I would suspect the 970 would be on the low end of what would be acceptable or would really limit the amount of supersampling (pixel density) you can do which really does a nice job of smoothing out the picture. I suspect that for some of the higher resolution HMD that the 970 GTX would struggle for the same reason. Of course adjusting detail sliders to the left can always help out some as well too

Hope this helps
I suspect you're right. I was planning on getting a Rift sometime later this year, though from what Daube's saying I'll be looking at other options as well. My resolution is currently set somewhere in the middle. Not great but I'm used to it and don't mind. The real test will be on Titanic: Honor and Glory. I can play that program's demo (which is amazing, BTW) with the sliders cranked as high as they'll go but my poor old 970 is absolutely tachd out (it can do it, though). I'll have to report back soon as it get the Rift.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Daube wrote:
The current helmets of choice are the Windows Mixed Reality one, including Lenovo, Acer, HP and Samsung.
The Samsung one is the very best at the moment...
Thanks for this and all the other detail you posted. I'd been thinking that I'd have to wait a product generation or two before jumping into VR, but after reading your posts I'm thinking I might be making the leap sooner rather than later. Looking seriously at the Samsung (have had very good experiences with their visual displays, currently flying on their 50-inch 4k TV) and having an extended conversation with my wallet. If worst comes to worst, I'll tell my budget you're to blame. Thanks again!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

Daube wrote:
The current helmets of choice are the Windows Mixed Reality one, including Lenovo, Acer, HP and Samsung.
Interesting feedback. I've never even heard of these.

From a non-VR owner point of view, it seems like VR is fading away. An expensive niche product that is cumbersome to use, fidelity lacking and difficult to run.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Destroy wrote:From a non-VR owner point of view, it seems like VR is fading away.
Pardon me for asking, but what makes you feel that way? Everything I've sensed says it's on the upswing.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Destroy wrote:
Daube wrote:
Interesting feedback. I've never even heard of these.

From a non-VR owner point of view, it seems like VR is fading away. An expensive niche product that is cumbersome to use, fidelity lacking and difficult to run.
The VR is going strong, but the first wave of users were the most "noisy" (visible feedbacks and discussions) ones.
Just look at the recent XP and P3D updates. A lot is being done to implement a decent VR support, because the demand is increasing.

And sorry but no, it is not cumbersome to use, and the fidelity couldn't be higher than that. Just a few seconds of flight are enough to understand this. But from a non-VR owner, I understand it's easy to think otherwise. I mean, one month ago it was my case too.

That being said, while VR is really excellent for simulators (any kind of drivable/pilotable stuff in which you just seat on your chair), it is not that good for other kind of games like first person shooters, that is, 99% of the "gamers"... So yes, it is a niche stuff... just like our expensive joysticks and other plane-specific hardwares.

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

ClipperLuna wrote:
Destroy wrote:From a non-VR owner point of view, it seems like VR is fading away.
Pardon me for asking, but what makes you feel that way? Everything I've sensed says it's on the upswing.
Because it's not in most news anymore. The overall buzz is very niche, not increasing in the mainstream.

When Apple releases a VR, then I'd say its maybe on the increase. But even that is no guarantee, i.e. Apple watch flop.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well its pretty regulary in the news to honest lol, AR was todays big headlines though with the leap set launching
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

When you give me the $600 or so that it requires to buy one of these things or they drop to about half of what they cost now, I'll consider it. Till then it's out of my budget. Even with the soon-ish release of the new Honeycomb gear which they say is still to be priced at $199, it's hard for me to justify the expenditure even though I eat(with old United Airlines flatware), sleep(pillow has a P-40 on it), and breath(ok no forced O2 mask) aviation. I understand the draw. I used the old shutter style 3D glasses back in the day when Diamond was THE brand of 3D accelerator to have and I had 2 of them. I used to fly Jane's F-15 and Jane's WWII Fighters with that setup. So I get it but, out side the Bravo throttle quadrant from Honeycomb the only thing I am thinking about add is a TrackIR, but for now, VR is just not in the cards.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

ImpendingJoker wrote:When you give me the $600 or so that it requires to buy one of these things or they drop to about half of what they cost now, I'll consider it. Till then it's out of my budget.
You might want to check the current prices. These are way cheaper.
The Lenovo headset is around 350 dollars with the controllers. The Samsung one must be around 400 or 450... And these were the original prices at launch. Probably today you can find them cheaper, with sales or such...
Even with the soon-ish release of the new Honeycomb gear which they say is still to be priced at $199, it's hard for me to justify the expenditure even though I eat(with old United Airlines flatware), sleep(pillow has a P-40 on it), and breath(ok no forced O2 mask) aviation. I understand the draw. I used the old shutter style 3D glasses back in the day when Diamond was THE brand of 3D accelerator to have and I had 2 of them. I used to fly Jane's F-15 and Jane's WWII Fighters with that setup. So I get it but, out side the Bravo throttle quadrant from Honeycomb the only thing I am thinking about add is a TrackIR, but for now, VR is just not in the cards.
The VR experience cannot be compared to the old 3D shutter glasses or the TrackIR.
In both TrackIR and 3D shutter glasses, you have to keep your eyes on the screen, leading to unnatural movements. Also, since you still look at the screen, you still get a small picture which is completely out of scale compared to real word.
With a VR helmet, you sit in the cockpit. Real proportions, real point of view. You want to look back, you look back. You don't turn your head like 45 degrees while desperately trying to keep your eyes on the screen. You just look behind you, and you see behind you. I'm sure you'll change your mind once you try a VR helmet in good conditions on a simulator (and NOT in one of the useless demo apps which are usually used to demonstrate these helmets in shops).

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

MarcE wrote:I got the Oculus Rift yesterday. Set it up, was a bit disappointed by the overall visual quality but it was fine... I played around with the settings, made myself comfortable with the neat cockpit of the C172 and today the T-6 in VR... until I discovered that subtil setting "stereo" in the P4D VR settings... Thank god my chair has a back rest... I would have been blown into the wall behind me... FULLY 3D Cockpit!!!! I AM SITTIN IN A COMPLETELY 3D T-6!!!!!!!! THIS... IS... SICK!!!!! I... I don't know what I have done during the past few years... holy mary... I have a GTX970, I've just ordered a 1080TI :roll: Guys... ok... back to flying...

Still anyone without a Rift? GET IT!!!!!!
Hi Marc! Welcome on board, VR is really something to behold when summing VFR. reading your post about stereo on or off made me realize you are using vanilla VR in P3D right? Don’t, you risk starting to dislike VR before you even got to love it for good! Google Flyinside-FSX and download the P3D version. You can use it for free for 10 minutes flies at a time and it’s really not expensive. The reason I love fly inside so much is that it really smooth things out, making A2A birds much more enjoyable in VR. It’s not as good as DCS vr but still very very enjoyable.

Warning, for some of us, flying VR spoils us and we really struggle to get back into pancake version of flight simulation... gosh I can’t wait for oculus to release a slightly higher resolution HMD like the Vive pro...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Strange, my brother was using FlyInside with P3Dv2 and he loved it of course, but since he switched to P3Dv4.3, he has only been using the native VR and he doesn't want to reinstall FlyInside ?

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I've had my finger lightly on the trigger for VR ever since Duxford. Since this thread started I've taken up the first pressure. This morning I squeezed one off! Should get it Monday. :lol:
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Rift for sale,,,love it but on to other things. $200 bucks plus shipping.
VR is not going away (3d tv) and once you lived with it you will understand it is the future of flightsimming.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

crash924
Airman

Post by crash924 »

Well, I bit the bullet the other day and got the Rift...at first I tried the native P3D vr and it just wouldn't work right. Got the Flyinside and MAN!!! What a difference...I'll never fly without it again...did a few aerobatics, and I actually felt the queasiness of some of the rolls and inverted flying I would expect in a real flight. Being able to look around the cockpit as well as outside in a natural manner just gives this a wow factor that makes flying so much more entertaining.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”