OOOOOkay... This is killing me

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

OOOOOkay... This is killing me

Post by MarcE »

I got the Oculus Rift yesterday. Set it up, was a bit disappointed by the overall visual quality but it was fine... I played around with the settings, made myself comfortable with the neat cockpit of the C172 and today the T-6 in VR... until I discovered that subtil setting "stereo" in the P4D VR settings... Thank god my chair has a back rest... I would have been blown into the wall behind me... FULLY 3D Cockpit!!!! I AM SITTIN IN A COMPLETELY 3D T-6!!!!!!!! THIS... IS... SICK!!!!! I... I don't know what I have done during the past few years... holy mary... I have a GTX970, I've just ordered a 1080TI :roll: Guys... ok... back to flying...

Still anyone without a Rift? GET IT!!!!!!

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: OOOOOkay... This is killing me

Post by n421nj »

Did you have to do anything specific to set it up with flight sim or was it plug and play?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Glad you're enjoying it! Unfortunately, my eyes are blurry enough with the cataracts, don't think I need a blurrier image. :mrgreen:

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Congrats!

I have had a Vive myself for about a year and half and absolutely love it. In my opinion, the Comanche, Connie and Texan all look the best in VR. It is great to get a feel for the actual size of these crafts. Aside from the cockpits themselves, the other most noticeable effect is the scale of features like mountains, canyons, etc. In 2D they just seem so distant and blah....in VR they are truly right in your face. Enjoy!!

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'm teetering on the edge of VR. If the little man on my left shoulder can convince the little man on my right shoulder we'll have a deal! I tried it at Duxford the other week (DCS World/ Eagle Dynamics had a pitch there) I was gobsmacked! :shock:
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

crash924
Airman

Post by crash924 »

I have been considering getting one, but not sure which one to get-Vive or Rift...what are the differences between the 2? Does 1 work better with P3Dv4 better than the other? If anyone has done a side by side comparison, I'd like to know what was discovered

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

crash924 wrote:I have been considering getting one, but not sure which one to get-Vive or Rift...what are the differences between the 2? Does 1 work better with P3Dv4 better than the other? If anyone has done a side by side comparison, I'd like to know what was discovered
If you're anything like me your questions are superfluous, you've already trawled the internet, forums, youtube, reviews etc. etc.

crash924
Airman

Post by crash924 »

Actually, I haven't..not sure where to look for aviation related VR reviews and comparison without the hype from the manufacturers and fanboys

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

crash924 wrote:Actually, I haven't..not sure where to look for aviation related VR reviews and comparison without the hype from the manufacturers and fanboys
Ha! :D That's exactly what you get whoever you ask. Substitute 'hype' for 'opinions' and 'fanboys' for 'happy owners' and there you have it/ Google 'VR flight sim reviews' or something along those lines and see what you get. :D

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

I believe both the rift and the vive are pretty good. There are some subtle differences between the two. I have heard that the rift has a slight edge for sitting sims. I went with the Vive because I was interested in the room scale as well and at the time that I received it, it was the only viable option for that application.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

MarcE wrote:I have a GTX970, I've just ordered a 1080TI
Curious about this since I have the same card (the 970). Is it just not up to snuff with the rift?

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

I tried the rift earlier this year and it itself is amazing but I couldn't get through the screen door effect. Maybe I didn't set up the settings correctly but I did what I could figure out. Supposedly layer this year Oculus is coming out with a new version of rift with 4k and I'll pick it up then.
ImageImageImage

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

A question for Thos of you who have VR-experience:

How do you control your aircraft?

Joysticks, yokes and throttles work as usual I presume. But what about the virtual cockpits? How are they manipulated? After browsing through a couple of threads on other forums I understand the mouse cursor can't be displayed. Is that still true? Do you have to have everything mapped on your gaming peripherals and go by feel?

/Mats

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

The Vive and the Rift are obsolete.
The Vive Pro is a joke/rip off.
The Pimax 4K doesn't work very well, and the 8K is not available yet.

The current helmets of choice are the Windows Mixed Reality one, including Lenovo, Acer, HP and Samsung.
The Samsung one is the very best at the moment. It has the same display as the Vive Pro (other way around, actually, since the Samsung came first) but way better lenses.
Compared to the Rift and Vive, you still get an OLED display, but with slightly higher resolution. And it's sold around 450 dollars with controllers, if I remember correctly (Vive Pro is more than 1100 dollars with full setup, sensors and controllers).
You don't need any camera/sensor in front of you, the helmet uses its own cameras (integrated in the helmet) for the head tracking. The drawback is you cannot use it in the dark, you have to keep the light on in your room.

My brother bought the Lenovo. The resolution is a little bit less than the Samsung (but still higher than Rift and Vive), and it has only a LCD screen, not OLED.
Nevertheless, the result is very good. I could try it for a few hours on P3Dv2 (with FlyInside) and P3Dv4 (native VR), and it simply was a fantastic experience.
Flying a small aircraft become a completely different feeling.
Flying an helicopter is like... like I never flew an helo before.
Flying all of these over some photorealistic sceneries (French Alps) with good autogen, at medium or very low altitude, was mind-blowing. It is not really possible to describe the feeling you get once you sit in the cockpit with a VR helmet...

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

MatsH wrote:A question for Thos of you who have VR-experience:

How do you control your aircraft?

Joysticks, yokes and throttles work as usual I presume. But what about the virtual cockpits? How are they manipulated? After browsing through a couple of threads on other forums I understand the mouse cursor can't be displayed. Is that still true? Do you have to have everything mapped on your gaming peripherals and go by feel?

/Mats
Depends on the sim, but the simplest way is just to use your mouse to click on the cockpit.
The mouse cursor will appear in the cockpit and its "depth" will change when passing over a clickable surface.
When you sit in front of your simming desk, you know precisely where your joystick and throttle are, just like your mouse.
The only difficult thing is to use the key board. The Lenovo helmet can be tilted up to free up your eyes, so you can just look at the keyboard if you really need it, then flip the helmet back down on your eyes to continue flying.

With the FlyInside program, you can also use some additional device like the "Leap Motion", which detects your hands positions and reproduce them in 3D in the cockpit. You can then simply click the buttons in the cockpit with your fingers, no need for mouse anymore. But this is still quite experimental, if I understood correctly.

In XPlane, you can use the controllers of the VR helmets. The controller will appear in the cockpit and you can use it to point at buttons (like a laser) and trigger them. I don't know if that works with all helmets or only the Rift/Vive. The famous "Belgeode", who makes a lot of sim videos on youtube, use these controller in XPlane, you can easilly understand how it works. Here is a video where he tries the native VR in XPlane 11 and describe his experience very well:
https://youtu.be/rxggljZpMUc

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”