the future of A2A and FSX?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Destroy
Airman First Class

Re: the future of A2A and FSX?

Post by Destroy »

If FSX starts to get largely unsupported, I will definitely move but to Xplane, not P3D.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

P3D isn't perfect and the core program is showing its age, but all things considered it's not bad. I'm satisfied with it. And from a developer's standpoint, it does have advantages over X-plane.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

awash2002 wrote:I hope it's soon as well because I can't wait to get this aircraft
Agreed. Especially after seeing Scott’s latest Facebook post on testflying another V35B in real life. That Bonanza is just so good looking!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

kielsf4
Airman First Class

Post by kielsf4 »

Hook wrote:[...]This might be a very long time, as FSX is still a strong product.[...]
I'm not too sure about that. Mathijs Kok, Product- and Development Manager at Aerosoft says that downloads across their FSX product line have tanked significantly since P3Dv4 has been released.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

kielsf4 wrote:
Hook wrote:[...]This might be a very long time, as FSX is still a strong product.[...]
I'm not too sure about that. Mathijs Kok, Product- and Development Manager at Aerosoft says that downloads across their FSX product line have tanked significantly since P3Dv4 has been released.
Did they go up when FSX Steam Edition was released?

I guess we'll find out how this applies to A2A after the Bonanza is released and they see the sales numbers.

When I re-installed my flight sims on my new computer recently I did not install FSX, only Prepar3D version 2.5 Professional. I was thinking about buying P3Dv4 but will hold off. Right now, almost everything I have for FSX has installed and run on v2.5 which I doubt will be true for v4. I haven't tried the Stratocruiser yet but I don't expect problems. One aircraft (Aerosoft BeaverX) took some simple gauge work (delete one line each in three xml files). External engine sound is messed up on the A2A C-172 but I don't fly it much, and don't spend much time in external view when I do. Cub works fine. The only thing that I don't have working so far is CumulusX and I have no idea if the DiscusX sailplane will work. When I bought the Comanche after I got P3D I got the FSX/P3D bundle so it works fine. Even AccuFeel is working.

I hope all those people buying P3Dv4 don't get nasty surprises and have to repurchase everything... in those cases where a P3D version even exists.

Hook

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Hook wrote:I haven't tried the Stratocruiser yet but I don't expect problems. ... Cub works fine. ... Even AccuFeel is working.
Hook
They work as A2A intended? Or they're simply functional? Everything I've read around here suggests the latter.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

patful wrote:
Hook wrote:I haven't tried the Stratocruiser yet but I don't expect problems. ... Cub works fine. ... Even AccuFeel is working.
Hook
They work as A2A intended? Or they're simply functional? Everything I've read around here suggests the latter.

Who can say? All I know is, I can't tell any difference in either the Cub or AccuFeel from when I was running them both on FSX and P3Dv2.5 from a few years ago and running it on P3Dv2.5 now. They probably won't work on P3Dv4, although they may work on v3. Don't expect support from A2A on either product though.

Getting AccuFeel installed requires manual edits to the dll.xml and exe.xml files because it does not install automatically into P3D, but the instructions to how to do that can be found on forums.

It is unknown if the products will still work after the latest A2A updates. I installed them from the original downloads.

Hook

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I had all the A2A warbirds running fine in 2.5. They all did right up to v3.4. Except the 377. I could never get that installed. Kept failing with a corrupt FSX message. With one notable exception, getting the older A2A warbirds to run in v4 was mostly a fail for me, or dubious performance at best.

YMMV.

Steve.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

The 32-bit DLL's of the products that run in FSX and P3DV2.5, etc will NOT run in P3DV4 which is a 64-bit product.

The A2A aircraft use a DLL to implement the Accusim functions and those that run in FSX will NOT be
functional in V4. They may run in a crippled fashion but what's the point?

Paul

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

The point is Paul, people will do desperate things to get their favourite Accu-Sim fix and will continue to try. Right up to the point of an official release. If they already have it they have nothing to lose in trying.

Steve.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Gypsy Baron wrote:The 32-bit DLL's of the products that run in FSX and P3DV2.5, etc will NOT run in P3DV4 which is a 64-bit product.

The A2A aircraft use a DLL to implement the Accusim functions and those that run in FSX will NOT be
functional in V4. They may run in a crippled fashion but what's the point?

Paul
I don't believe anyone has ever tried to claim that the 32 bit versions of A2A products would run in 64 bit P3Dv4. The question was, would they work properly in the older 32 bit versions of P3D.

So the Stratocruiser installer is looking for more than a file named FSX.exe to decide to install. Whatever it is looking for it doesn't find and refuses to install. At that point you install it to FSX and migrate it over to see if it works. If you don't have FSX, you can find it cheap, and FSX Steam Edition is on sale right now for under $10.

Let me know if that works. I'd try it myself but I don't have FSX:SE and am waiting for a lower sale price, don't want to install my boxed copy of FSX, and don't particularly want to fly the Strat right now.

Hook

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hook wrote:So the Stratocruiser installer is looking for more than a file named FSX.exe to decide to install. Whatever it is looking for it doesn't find and refuses to install. At that point you install it to FSX and migrate it over to see if it works.

Hook
Sounds like a plan. I got it to work once using that method in 2.5. Didn't bother keeping it current because it isn't really my favourite aircraft. Don't shoot me. :lol:

Steve.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I got it to work once using that method in 2.5.
Ah, thanks. That's useful to know.

I've had a couple of really good flights in it, but I currently prefer a slightly more casual experience.

And there's nothing wrong with the Manfred Jahn/Jan Visser C-47 version 3.14. That's about the right level of complexity for me at the moment. We don't need to wait for A2A to make a DC-3. :D

Hook

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

:D not for me fsx won't die. I love flying on it. so it's and old simulator so what? she's still loved.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

cessna lover wrote::D not for me fsx won't die. I love flying on it. so it's and old simulator so what? she's still loved.
I feel the same.....both for FSX and my wife....., but don't tell anyone. What happens on the A2A forum, stays on the A2A forum!! :wink: :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”