An Obituary published in the Times.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

An Obituary published in the Times.

Post by Ron Attwood »

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee from McDonald's was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,
-by his parents, Truth and Trust,
-by his wife, Discretion,
-by his daughter, Responsibility,
-and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;
- I Know My Rights
- I Want It Now
- Someone Else Is To Blame
- I'm A Victim
- Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

R.I.P.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: An Obituary published in the Times.

Post by Mickel »

Goodness me Ron, you've been a little philosophical (it's not the right word, but it will do) in the last couple of days.

Sadly, common sense depends on your point of view these days. I blame Obi Wan: "What I told you was the truth, from a certain point of view."

Mike
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Absolutely brilliant Ron! :D
But worryingly accurate... :shock:

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Mickel wrote: 11 May 2019, 07:04 Goodness me Ron, you've been a little philosophical (it's not the right word, but it will do) in the last couple of days.

Sadly, common sense depends on your point of view these days. I blame Obi Wan: "What I told you was the truth, from a certain point of view."

Mike
Surely common sense is common sense any way you look at it. There is so little common sense now that people can't cross the road without a traffic light...Even when there's no traffic for miles! They will still press that button and wait for a green. I witness loads of different examples every day. It's disheartening.
But enough, let's have a fly. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I hear you Ron.

My friends nephew asked me how many sugars in my tea. I told him two sweeteners please. The tea was awful. Turns out he put two teaspoons full of sweeteners in.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Very funny.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of truth to that! Let’s hope common sense is not dead but just on an extended vacation...
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

We've messed with natural selection and now we are paying the price.....

No need to have an active cull...just take the warning labels off all of the very obviously dangerous stuff and let nature sort the problem out.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Killratio wrote: 12 May 2019, 23:22 We've messed with natural selection and now we are paying the price.....

No need to have an active cull...just take the warning labels off all of the very obviously dangerous stuff and let nature sort the problem out.
BINGO!! We've tried to regulate for safety reasons and screwed up the natural selection process along the way......
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”