Tough IFR in the Northeast today.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Currently on my way from NY to ME - rain - clouds - and ice make for a challenging flight. Those winds at 11K make for some great ground speed... Anyone else up in the area this morning ?

Is wing ice modeled ?

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Tough IFR in the Northeast today.

Post by cflord »

Wow, very nice Scott! I love the screen shot! What Photo Hosting Site do you use? I need to find a new site that can handle the larger pics.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Cliff,

Thanks...

I think I’m just using Tapatalk’s native image storage - when using their iPad app they give you the option to host and display images in your post from their own servers... I use it sparingly as I don’t know how many images or how long they will store them for...

Regards,
Scott

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I have a route planned through that area. I'm currently in North Carolina. I have flown the Atlantic a few times but always though Greenland and Iceland. I want to try the St. John to Azores route this time, just need about 1200 nautical miles of range. I have one flight plan where no leg is over 400 nautical miles (OK, one leg is slightly over).

I have discovered the only weather information site I need for flight planning is windy.com which gives me winds aloft and precipitation.

Hook

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hook wrote:I have a route planned through that area. I'm currently in North Carolina. I have flown the Atlantic a few times but always though Greenland and Iceland. I want to try the St. John to Azores route this time, just need about 1200 nautical miles of range. I have one flight plan where no leg is over 400 nautical miles (OK, one leg is slightly over).

I have discovered the only weather information site I need for flight planning is windy.com which gives me winds aloft and precipitation.

Hook
Hi Hook,

Sound like fun - I’ve wanted to try an Atlantic crossing - I just don’t have the patience to sit there that long - I flew a 777 from California to Hawaii once in FS9 - way too long sitting in front of the PC - it was a record for me - my limit is around 2 hours... Sounds like quite an adventure - though...

Yeah - my screens are from the Garmin Pilot EFB on my iPad which is what I use in the RW so flight sim actually helps me with practice... I only recently found a tool that allows me to connect it to P3D...

Thanks for posting...

Regards,
Scott

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I did San Francisco to Hawaii in the A2A Stratocruiser. Quite an interesting flight. I did a flight plan where I took off on a specific heading and turned two degrees south every hour to do a great circle route. Real world weather, and I had only a vague idea of the winds aloft. No map, no GPS. In the end, I was less than two degrees off on my initial heading, close enough to pick up the VOR on the west-most island. No time compression, about eight hours, and I did use the Strat's autopilot. I even had a cabin pressurization failure about 2/3 of the way there and was a bit worried about having enough fuel. Overall, an exciting flight.

I seem to remember flying back, and doing a trip from New York to Paris, but they weren't as memorable as that first Hawaiian trip. I may have done a second Hawaii trip. These were right after the Stratocruiser was introduced.

My typical flight now days is around two hours, but I did one a few days ago in Manfred Jahn's C-47/DC-3 from Boeing Field in Washington (KBFI) to Mena, Arkansas (KMEZ), 1500 miles which took 10 hours (logbook says 9.8, my longest single flight ever) flying VOR to VOR, no time compression, no GPS, no map, no autopilot, and landed with 14% of my fuel. I had done weather planning with windy.com. A DC-3 can't go above 12,500 feet with passengers, so I was dodging clouds and weather and fighting ice. An hour and a half into the flight my vertical speed indicator froze for ninety minutes, then was up for another ninety minutes then froze again for the rest of the trip. I never had time to admire the scenery: I was quite busy the entire time. This was a recreation of a Buffalo Airways flight of a DC-4, I believe, from Boeing where it was refurbished to Mena where it was painted.

Air travel couldn't have been much fun in the DC-3 days. I had the seat belt sign on and off for most of the flight. But as a pilot I enjoyed it.

I am contemplating a flight from Panama to the Galapagos in the A2A Cherokee. Just for fun. :)

Hook

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Same flight different aircraft today...

Wow - she’s a performer... These EFB’s supply so much useful information I don’t know how we ever got by without them...

Huge tailwinds...

Love this paint...

Regards,
Scott

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”