Dudley's Bo flying tip of the day !

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Dudley's Bo flying tip of the day !

Post by DHenriques_ »

Here's a flying tip from the real world we used in all our non- supercharged high performance aircraft and something I taught all the pilots I transitioned into complex airplanes. You probably won't find many sim pilots doing this.........but then again.......our A2A pilots ARE a cut above the standard for sure and as such nobody should be surprised to discover they fly at a commercial pilot skill set level.

After you rotate and start cleaning up for your climb, if your climb power settings are say 25 inches and 25 hundred RPM, when you come back on the power, set up for 26 inches instead of 25 and back off the prop to 25 hundred.
As you pass through your first 1000 feet, the power should then self correct at 25 inches.
Saves you a double power adjustment on your initial climb. After that, you should have cleaned everything else up required for the climb leaving you only power monitoring as you continue your climb to cruise altitude.

Just an old trick from the "old days" for all of you.
Climb high, fly fast, have fun up there!
Dudley Henriques

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Dudley's Bo flying tip of the day !

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thanks, Dudley! So, if I was in the Comanche instead and wanting to climb at 24", 2400 RPM, I'd initially put the power at 25" and 2400 RPM?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ClipperLuna wrote:Thanks, Dudley! So, if I was in the Comanche instead and wanting to climb at 24", 2400 RPM, I'd initially put the power at 25" and 2400 RPM?
Exactly. Works with any unsupercharged engine.
DH

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

Thank you Dudley for the tip. I will definitely try this tonight and see if I notice any improvements. Any other flying complex tips, feel free to share. I’m always struggling maintaining altitude. I never know if I should be adjusting power, prop, pitch, or all three. I haven’t flown a complex in real life so I wasn’t 100% certain.

Thanks,
Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Wow what a great tip and so simple I’m pissed I didn’t think of it
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

rhenson529 wrote:Thank you Dudley for the tip. I will definitely try this tonight and see if I notice any improvements. Any other flying complex tips, feel free to share. I’m always struggling maintaining altitude. I never know if I should be adjusting power, prop, pitch, or all three. I haven’t flown a complex in real life so I wasn’t 100% certain.

Thanks,
Ron

Believe it or not Ron, straight and level flight is one of the hardest things to master when learning to fly.
A good exercise is to practice the following.
1. Level off using primary controls ONLY at 2000 feet.
2. Reduce power
3. Reduce RPM (If applicable)
4. Trim the airplane while holding level flight with the primary controls.
5. Now using primary controls only, attempt to hide the zero on the altimeter behind the hundred foot (large) needle on the altimeter and keep it hidden behind that needle. You will have a hard time doing this in turbulent air BUT by trying your level flight technique will greatly improve.

Dudley Henriques

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

Thanks Dudley, I’ll practice at lower altitudes.

A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”