First Bonanza Gauge Failure

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DatDudeMIC
Senior Airman

First Bonanza Gauge Failure

Post by DatDudeMIC »

After landing at Bakersfield and logging almost 50 hours, I finally got my first gauge failure. Well it didn't fail totally, the fuel flow is reading a little low.

Keep The Blue Side Up,

Micah H.

SJDobby
Airman

Re: First Bonanza Gauge Failure

Post by SJDobby »

Me too: last night, after logging just under 25 hours, I took my Bonanza into the hangar for a "25 hour inspection" and the only gauge issue was the same as yours - the fuel-flow gauge under-reading. I haven't bothered repairing it, instead just taking note in my maintenance log (a log of compression checks, engineer comments, oil levels and changes, and repairs done). On my next long trip I shall try and ascertain just how much it is under-reading by.
ImageImage

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I had a fuel flow reading low and gauge in yellow , after a few flights with this issue , i decided to repair , it would not do so , instead it went from yellow to red , and a message saying fuel flow reading high , i have found a temp workaround , if when you come to fix it , and it turns from yellow to red , end flight/exit the sim.
On restart of sim everything should be fixed.
regards alan. 8)

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

They can't be repaired normally ? Strange :|

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Caldemeyn.
The faulty fuel flow could not be fixed , its a bug that needs fixing , the faulty tach gauge was fixed in normal way on my aircraft , i use FSXA and my system is win 7 64 bit home prem , one or two have reported the fuel flow gauge issue.
regards alan. 8)
Last edited by alan CXA651 on 22 Oct 2018, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Will have to check this, thx for the tip. :)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Anything else break yet?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

I’ve had the asymmetrical flap failure...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

I had 2 AI failures within the first 10 hours, though I should note the second came after I had to do a global repair as I'd pretty much destroyed the plane.

Not my fault though, really. I had some elevation issues when I landed at KTNP and didn't notice that they included the taxiway being at the bottom of a cliff. I taxied off the runway and fell into this new and unexpected canyon. 'Bout broke my heart destroying my almost brand new Bo!

Have to admit that two failures in such a short period (the second one in IMC) had me a bit on edge. Things have been stable since.

Scott

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Just had my own first failure: the attitude indicator. Happened when I was climbing out of Redmond (Or) on my way to Klamath Falls. The evil thing is, it didn't totally fail, it said I was level when I was actually in a 5-10 degree bank. It was hazy out and Redmond has hills and mountains all around it, so at first I thought I was seeing a false horizon. A glance at the turn coordinator told me what was really going on. Vacuum failure? No, suction gauge said I had plenty of suction. Visibility wasn't too bad so I pressed on. Had the guys in Klamath Falls take a look at it when I got there. Sure enough: busted attitude indicator.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Keep in mind we made the maintenance hangar not show these failures automatically because most of the time, in real life, you would never know this stuff unless you really took the time to analyze it. For example, the fuel flow on the my Aerostar and Comanche is not exact. if I did a test, it would show that is it off somewhat. Living with inconsistencies and inaccuracies is just part of normal life, so if you find something like the fuel flow is off, just try to live with it and take it into consideration when you fly.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

My fuel flow gauge went down the toilet very early on. After less than 50 hours it was reading probably 2-3GPH low compared to book figures. Finally decided to replace it because that is a bit too much for comfort.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

ClipperLuna wrote:Just had my own first failure: the attitude indicator....
Had this happen today for the first time in RL in a 172S. I was flying near Simsbury on that of that. I looked over and find that the standby AI was suddenly indicating I was in a 5 degree bank after flying in extremely smooth air in level cruise flight without making a turn for at least 15 minutes.

There was no flag and vacuum was right in the middle of the green.

I watched it for a few minutes, nothing changed. I waited about 5 minutes with no maneuvering and when I checked back all was well again. It showed no issues for the remainder of the flight or the flight back. No idea why...

These things are machines, they can and do malfunction from time to time, and you can't always figure out why. This is why it is critical to cross check the l what the instruments are telling you and know your aircraft performance.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I also had a failed attitude indicator before in RL on a Robin DR400. Even though I had nice and stable vacuum. But suddenly in flight the thing started oscillating like crazy. After landing I told the maintenance manager of our club and it turned out that one of the bearings of the attitude I dictator had failed. You have to remember that those are very sensitive and precise instruments in a very rough environment for themselves. Those piston engines just rattle away on the poor instruments each and every hour flying. It has to be expected that instruments wear out/fail after a certain time. And yes as oracle said that’s why we crosscheck and always have to be aware of our current situation when flying.

I for one absolutely love the new gauge failure system in the Bonanza. So thank you A2A!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've had an inaccurate fuel flow gauge which I decided to fix. Currently, my manifold pressure gauge has become slow to react, but I can live with that. I've also blown out a flap, but that was entirely my fault. The landing was a great on insofar as I got the plane down in one piece and was able to use it again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I only had to repair the flaps. I think that landing was as much luck as skill. :shock:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”