move aircraft to F drive?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
c_prowse
Airman

move aircraft to F drive?

Post by c_prowse »

I searched and did not find anything. My Sim lives on F drive as it is 2TB and my C drive is only 250GB. By default all A2A wants to go to C drive. I tried early on to put them in F but they did not work so I left them in C and have every A2A aircraft now and am running out of space on C which is slowing down my PC. How do I move the A2A aircraft to F drive and make them work like all of my other add on aircraft in Simobjects and also not lose my repaints. Thanks in advance. Also, anxiously waiting for the P40 and B-17 to be ready for V4. Been dying actually-

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: move aircraft to F drive?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

Please can you let us know which installers you've used for your P3Dv4 products. Is it new ones re-downloaded from the new A2A store within the last 5 months, or the original ones?

If you're using the new installers, each Accu-Sim aircraft will show the A2A logo, publisher as "A2A Simulations Inc." and product version number in the Windows "apps & features" or "uninstall or change a program" window.

Thanks,
Nick

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Have you thought of re-locating "Your Documents" onto your 2TB hard drive?

By default, the newer A2A installers for P3D v4 all install there. Moving its location to your larger drive would be a quick solution and free-up a load of space on your System drive. Everything in there would be moved and all future installs would go there automatically. It can be done easily enough through Windows.

Here's how to do it in Windows 10.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/749 ... -10-a.html

Steve.

c_prowse
Airman

Post by c_prowse »

I had some the old way a year ago and then the recently purchased ones went through the installer. The files are located in This PC/C/users/myname/my documents/ prepared 3d v4 add ons. The ism objects and all thos files are there. I also for some reason have more A2A files back one file in just the documents folder. A2A which has FSX, P3D, and a FSXaccusim.dat Not sure what is goign on here.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, it's definitely worth making sure you have all the most recent installers for your P3Dv4 products: that's the only way you'll be able to benefit from new updates.

If you originally purchased direct from A2A, there's some info here on how to get old order transferred to your account on the new store. If you ordered from a third-party store, simply re-downloading should get you the latest installer.

Thanks,
Nick

Doc_Z
Airman

Post by Doc_Z »

If I move my Documents folder from its present location C:\\Users\Documents to E:\\Documents, will that affect my add-on installations (A2A and others)? Will they have to be reinstalled to the new location or do I just have to change paths anywhere?

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Doc_Z wrote:If I move my Documents folder from its present location C:\\Users\Documents to E:\\Documents, will that affect my add-on installations (A2A and others)? Will they have to be reinstalled to the new location or do I just have to change paths anywhere?
I would assume you would have to re-install again, so that the new path can be written into the cfg files. For P3D, I have a load of manual edits to the add-ons.cfg. Scenery and manually installed 'legacy aircraft' mostly. Perhaps my ORBX would have to be re-done also. Which is why if you are going to move it, it's best to do it at the start when the computer is new, something that I do every time.

Hmm. Thinking about it, I think a 'Symbolic Link' would be better on an older machine. Something I will have to try on my Documents.

Steve.

c_prowse
Airman

Post by c_prowse »

bladerunner900 wrote:Have you thought of re-locating "Your Documents" onto your 2TB hard drive?

By default, the newer A2A installers for P3D v4 all install there. Moving its location to your larger drive would be a quick solution and free-up a load of space on your System drive. Everything in there would be moved and all future installs would go there automatically. It can be done easily enough through Windows.

Here's how to do it in Windows 10.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/749 ... -10-a.html

Steve.
So I did this and now P3D V4 gets stuck on the load screen. c;// users/myname/documents. When I started P3D I had to check ok to enable all of the add ons so I know everything changed over to F and I went through this just now moving back to C.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I used a junction to move all my aircraft from C: to D:
P3D now looks on C:, but is sent to D: and things work fine. Anything installed into my simobjects folder is also automatically parked on D:
You could do the same with the A2A folder (though I uninstalled everything A2A and then made them install to D:). Why doesn't it just install into P3D?
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

c_prowse
Airman

Post by c_prowse »

Everyone installs their products differently and it drives me crazy. Some install on F with my sim, some install on F but also install some files on C. Some install everything on C and if I change the installer path to F they work fine yet others will not and must be left on C. Some want to be inside P3D and some outside. The result is I tried to put everything I could on F since it is a 2TB and my C drive is only 232GB. problem is now I am 20GB shy of maxing out my C drive and wanted to install the P40. I did and it is ok but I know before too long I will be choking C drive and it will slow down P3D. I have 998GB on my F drive that is all P3D and related stuff. I also have a E drive that is also 2TB with nothing on it yet. I built this PC specifically so I could run P3D with addons and I realize with the way many developers want their stuff to run I should have gone huge on my primary drive too but I thought I could easily just install everything on F. So, I put my documents folder back to C drive where it was and P3D loads now using the method outlined above just as I did to transfer the folder to F. Not sure what to do now but it was worth a shot.

ORBX Vector, Global, LC, regions, HD airports, and a lot of airports

various from Ziewicki, T2G, FT, FSDT, pilots global mesh, tongass fjords and misty moorings

all A2A, PMDG, FSLABS, quite a few Majestic, Milviz, Carenado ect.

Immersion packages, REX, AS4, AI lights, GSX 2, FS2Crew, UTL and I am sure I am missing some. Lots of addons to make P3D what it should be to begin with.

Poppet
Airman First Class

Post by Poppet »

c_prowse wrote:The result is I tried to put everything I could on F since it is a 2TB and my C drive is only 232GB. problem is now I am 20GB shy of maxing out my C drive and wanted to install the P40. I did and it is ok but I know
Hello

If you are stuck for space on your C drive you could temporarily move the Contents of the Package Cache folder located below to a different drive. This folder houses all the repair and backup Installers for your Windows apps and Prepar3D, You could possible have anything between 13 gig and 30 gig of data in this Location (Maybe more even)

Just create a new folder, Move everything into this new folder and move this folder to a different drive

C:\ ProgramData \ Package Cache
Elaine Dixon

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Hi C Prowse.
Most of my scenery etc is on a different drive including all my orbx scenery.
I use junction link which is a super program and easy to use once you know how.
Here is a link to a video of how to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuTzbQlykZo
Cheers Chris

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

junction link is what I used as well, real simple and works well. All my scenery is on D: too.
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

which installer and platform are you on?

None of our installers force the aircraft onto C drive, all of them allow you to move and install where ever you wish, the P3Dv4 installers are inline with the Lockheed P3Dv4 guidelines to install externally to the main P3D folder allowing limitless options for installation wherever you wish.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

c_prowse
Airman

Post by c_prowse »

Since nothing else worked I uninstalled everything A2A from C, deleted every A2A file from C and then ran the sim and exited. Now it lets me reinstall A2A to the F p3d addons folder. Hopefully this works. It is a mess having so many different addons some going to C some going to F and some needing bits in both. Next PC I will go big on my C drive too.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”