Warthog Throttle ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Warthog Throttle ?

Post by Hook »

Google "Cessna rudder pedal pics" to see what the real thing looks like.

That said, I'm surprised that no one makes a "proper" set of rudder pedals that work like the ones in the real Cessna. At least the CH Products ones are the same distance apart as in the real plane. I just wish I could keep my heels on the floor.

Hook

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Greatly appreciate all the input - for as many hours as I spend with the sim - maybe it’s time to upgrade my desk as well for better ergonomics with rudder pedals.

Right now I’m in the middle of retiring my old reliable 2700K and moving to a 7700K that I started last year around this time - then stalled due to the Bitcoin Miners... This time around I even bought a new 32” LG 6:9 Gsync monitor to replace my old 20” 4:3 - should be a big difference when I get this all setup...

I’ll figure out what I’m doing with desk and controllers after I get this built...

Thanks again...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Warthog Throttle ?

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Since this has kind of morphed into a full sim hardware setup thread... Been poking around for a new desk that would make for a good start on an overhauled (home office workstation/flight sim) setup...

After much looking - keeping in mind that I need plenty of open floor space for rudder pedals this time... Bush seems to make a desk with potential - it’s modular - so you can add as much as you want to this with other components (they have many)... It looks like good quality - reasonably priced - and had good reviews... Prices seem to go from $250 to $300...

This might make a good start for a new setup...

Bush Business Furniture Series A

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Good luck with your desk upgrade, mate!
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

I dispensed with the desk entirely. My Warthog throttle is bolted to one stool with the legs at a standard chair length, the Warthog control stick is bolted to another stool with the legs cut down so to tucks under my seat, mouse is on a small table beside me and keyboard on a music stand to one side. Monitor on a flexible bracket bolted to the wall with my Track IR behind me on a shelf. This leaves the floor clear for my Siatek rudder pedals in front of me.

I keep all my documents on a laptop so no need for the desk anymore.

Just a thought.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Tony,

Thanks...

Hi Bruce,

That sounds pretty cool - more like a dedicated sim pit - I still have to work occasionally at the desk - so I need something - a bit more multipurpose...

My old Staples particle board special workstation is probably 20 years old - so it’s probably due... This build - will be the build change - LOL - I guess...

Thanks for the comments...

Regards,
Scott

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Hook wrote:Google "Cessna rudder pedal pics" to see what the real thing looks like.

That said, I'm surprised that no one makes a "proper" set of rudder pedals that work like the ones in the real Cessna. At least the CH Products ones are the same distance apart as in the real plane. I just wish I could keep my heels on the floor.

Hook
If you mount your CH pedals on a board and then incline the board with some wooden shims at the back edge of the board you are on your way to heels on the floor. You can also make blocks that will fill in the heel stop area at the bottom of the pedals. I did this with my old G-940 pedals and it worked pretty good. I now have Crosswind pedals with home made replacement pedals which works great for heals on the floor. It is difficult to see the slant of the pedals in the photo but they are inclined around 30 degrees or more from the horizontal but the filler blocks are obvious. Experiment with the angle until it suits you. You will place your heels on the floor and put the balls of your feet on the bottom the pedal where you made the filler blocks.

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Scott,

I have had one of these desks for over ten years now, and I doubt I’ll ever need another desk, ever. Pricey, yes; but totally worth it. And yes, the inuendo on the name is funny to the juvenile part of my brain. :P

IKEA Jerker Desk

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Here’s my setup, for reference:

I’ve got the Crosswind pedals screwed into the floor btw. Marriage is still intact, my wife and kids get it. :wink:

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Scott,

I actually had this same desk a number of years ago along with the extensions to either side and used if for my sim pit (flying and driving). What I liked about it was it was very sturdy, plenty of leg room, plenty of desk space and built in cable management.

What I didn't like from a sim perspective was the curved front. It was ok for the center control (wheel or yoke). But if I hag an additional control like a throttle quadrant or a gear shifter that was off to either side with a desk clamp it would put it at a very unnatural angle (about a 45 degree shift). Of course you could play with this a little bit in how much of the desk you clamp on to. I tried it for a awhile and eventually just clamped a sturdy piece of MDF or plywood to the desk to straight line the curve and then clamped my controls to the MDF/plywood. I presently have a purpose built cockpit only for fun :D

Aside from that the desk is impressive and a great piece of furniture along with the other parts in the series

Best Wishes

Brett

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

All those fancy desks!

I've been using a Correll 9 foot library table for about 20 years. As basic as you can get. I discovered how useful these were as workspaces when I was doing a computer contract many years ago. Plenty of room both on top and underneath to arrange anything you want.

I've currently got it set up with a normal desk in an L shaped configuration so I have the best of both worlds. Just gotta have a room big enough to hold it all.

dvm: Thanks for the pic and info. I thought about modifying the CH pedals as you mentioned, but I hadn't thought about angling the base up the way you do. I'll keep that in mind and think about it a bit.

Hook

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Warthog Throttle ?

Post by scottb613 »

Hi DVM,

I like that idea - I think part of the trouble with the CH Products pedals - is they’re designed to have your foot fully off the floor and resting on the pedals - that may be part of the inherent instability associated with them - I’ll give this some consideration as well...

Hi Chunk,

That looks like a nice clean setup - pretty cool - thanks for posting the pix... I like it... What’s your throttle and joystick resting on ?

A few years back I bought one of those fairly expensive fully articulated - business class - moving keyboard trays - that you can position anywhere - LOL - it’s still sitting in the garage in a box... After I bought it - rethought the issue and determined it would push me back too far from my monitor... In order to rectify this - I had planned on picking up one of those fairly expensive moving arm VESA mounts for the monitor - so I could properly position the screen as well... Maybe I should dust off that concept ? LOL - this new PC build is turning into the mother of all builds as far as expense goes...

Hi Brett,

Thanks for detailed PiREP - I’m leaning more towards this desk with your feedback... It looks pretty spacious by the pictures - probably add wing as well for a nice L shaped corner unit...

Hi Hook,

I have a dedicated home office for space - so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue there - yeah - I think the L shaped desk might work best...

Hi Folks,

Great discussion - thanks to everyone who contributed - funny - I’ve been doing this since monochrome but I can’t recall a similar conversation where we discussed desks... Pretty important to have a fairly decent ergonomic design with the hours we spend sitting at them... I’m pretty enthusiastic to get this started...

Thanks again...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Warthog Throttle ?

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Just for comparison - here’s what I’ve been using for many years... you can see why rudder pedals present a problem... Don’t laugh at my 19” 4:3 it’s being replaced with a 32” 6:9 that I’ve already purchased... From looking at my picture - the new build will incorporate a better cable management system as well - LOL - those wires look horrible...

Regards,
Scott

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

I hear you on the cable jungle. I just haven’t taken the time to make it look nice!

As far as mounting my stick and throttle, I have the Thrustmaster Warthog on a VPC base. Then I use the VPC desk mounts for the stick and throttle. I never gave the center mounted stick much thought, but I’d never go back now.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks - I’ll look for the mounts...

What a difference a day makes - tried new monitor on old box - it’s HUGE to me - why did I wait so long ?

Regards,
Scott

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”