Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog...

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Hi all, I ordered myself a Warthog to replaced a Hotas Cougar (not the lady) with broken gimbals for my DCS A-10C and F/A-18C sim time... I normally use my good ol’ MS Sidewinder FFB2 for A2A birds and DCS helicopters. The accuracy and the lack of centring spring make this stick really amazing. FS Force 2 plugin even allow trims to trim the center point on it, like trims really do IRL.

If it wasn’t for DCS who have finally released the Hornet in early stage I would have bought a yoke.

Haven’t received it yet but I’m curious to hear if any of you guys here have stick time on it. Do you use it for A2A’s birds? Do you have any opinions on the extension? Any mod or problems to know of?

Stephan

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog...

Post by AKar »

I've been using the set for years, it is certainly the best stick+throttle combo I've tried on PC, an easy 7/10.

My main issue with it is the centering detend that is somewhat annoying in particularly when moving the stick in certain angles. I've been considering the extension myself for that reason, that is, to improve the accuracy at and very close to the center area. Also, I'd like the springs to be stiffer, in particular with the extension I'm sure, but it is much ahead in this area in comparison to other sticks I've tried.

-Esa

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

I've been using the Warthog for two/three years now and I am very happy with it

I looked into the extension but decided against it in the end. I have the stick mounted on a low stool in front of and just under my chair with the throttle on the left bolted to another stool. It's a very close approximation of the T6 and if it had a spade grip to the Spitfire both of which I have from A2A.

I also have the Comanche which is not similar in any way but is easy to fly with the Warthog - I have mapped the controls to mimic the Spitfire which is entirely unrealistic but helps with my muscle memory

My only gripes are: the trigger has become sticky (which is only an issue in fighter Sims) and the dual throttles give me some trouble when flying twins due to the friction and weight. If I back off the friction it can be sloppy but when it is tight enough to stay where I put it the whole controller moves when I want to use both throttles. Not a problem when flying singles as I map the second throttle to prop pitch.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I've had this stick for many years, and love it. It is however, as Esa says, too hard to get out of the detents.

The solution is the extension. I have a 15cm extension, and I now have surgical precision. The throw gets quite large, so be prepared to work out a bit. This is more like the real world too.

If I was flying stick-planes much more often (I have come to prefer GA-planes - the ones with yoke), I would invest in the Brunner Yoke. It has force feedback, and would probably be the best. Expensive is, however, a word that sticks (pardon the pun). Actually, expensive is an understatement....
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Hi have had one for years with a 15cm extension. I have it center mounted in my cockpit. Like you I use DCS as well, in particular I enjoy the helicopters. The stick works perfectly and I have no issue with the detent with the extension in place. Just figure out the ergonomics so you get the base at the right height to put the stick handle at a comfortable height with the extension. In addition to my warthog throttle I have a Saitek TQ. I use the TM for the throttles and the Saitek to control prop, mixture and flaps. The slider on the TM throttle I use for carb heat/cowl flaps. BTW....I believe they are coming out with an F18 stick to hook up into the warthog base in the near future. But to answer your question, no problems whatsoever with the A2A fleet and the warthog with the extension

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

I really like my Warthog and built an extension using PVC pipe and 3D printed end pieces I downloaded from Thingiverse. Apparently the author has taken those down now but there are remixes on Thingiverse you can remix. Not sure why the original was pulled. Not an issue if you are just buying an extension.

My extension totally overrides the centering springs with the offset and length (the base is mounted to the floor of my sim and the stick extension looks somewhat like a helo stick) so I have to fly it if not on autopilot. I’d like to add force feedback to it but it works great for me as is. I got the mating DIN plugs from DigiKey to wire it.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Another 'pro' TM. In my opinion the only thing that is necessary, is an extension. At first I went for 2x10cm + 5cm thinking I could mount it close to the floor (realism?) It took NO time to realise that was waaay too much. The weight of the handle made it extremely sloppy. 10cm, I found was the best. Light feel and very precise.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Another +1 for the Warthog. I've recently set mine up again thanks to a bout of Wings Over Flanders Fields, and as an experiment I'm currently working with it in P3D as well. To my surprise - and reversing some things I've said recently - I'm finding that in certain respects I like it better than the Yoko. The very strong centering force, while it gets fatiguing, also makes it easier for me to flare accurately without ballooning, something that's a little harder with the Yoko thanks to the play in the bungees.

I've used extensions in the past (7.5 and 10 cm) but at the moment I'm going without one. The trick with the un-extended Warthog seems to be very, very minimal stick movement - more a matter of pressure than of actually deflecting the stick.

Success with extensions also depends on where you've got the stick located - in a desktop setup, any extension would make things awkward, so if you want to use one, I'd suggest lowering the stick height. I currently use the old (and sadly no longer available) Joy Loc trays, but anything else that gets the stick down a foot or so below the desktop would help.

Thinking about this setup, which seems to get great reviews, but haven't committed to it yet.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Awesome! Thank you all for taking the time answer and comment! Much appreciated! So it seems that 10-15cm extension is a valid and appreciated mod.. now at like 130-150$ online the suggested DIY sound more rational!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Just wanted to add that I’m pro TM. There might be a few growing pains with the stick that I’ve encountered, but the company I work for sends all of their sim units out with this joystick (as default). From experience, I’ve worked with extremely high end equipment and found that anything can have issues. The quality of build, for the most part, rivals much higher cost equipment.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”