Je suis mort (I am dead)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
nojwod
Senior Airman

Je suis mort (I am dead)

Post by nojwod »

This report is coming to you from beyond the grave, however let it be a lesson to those who are still living...

I had just taken the rented Bonanza out and taken off from Anuradhapura in Sri Lanka and headed to the east coast to land at Trincomalee, a beautiful harbour and town popular with visitors to Sri Lanka. I had overflown the town and turned final to runway 24, gear down, approach at under 100kts, and maybe 2 miles out I selected flaps down, and the first part of flap travel was OK, but the moment they passed 20 degrees I knew something was wrong as the aircraft began to roll hard to the left.

I quickly reversed the flap lever operation but by then the aircraft had rotated past wings vertical and it slid sideways into them ocean, killing me instantly. Lucky I was the only one on board. So, what should I have done? Yes, I should have conducted a visual inspection before I climbed into the aircraft. When my case came up in the afterlife tribunal they showed me that one flap only had fully deployed.

It's never too late to change your simming behaviour. Lucky for me I had a meeting with the afterlife council and they've agreed to let me come back for another go at life if I promise to conduct proper inspections in future.

:shock:

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Je suis mort (I am dead)

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Nojwod.
It would make no difference , i do a preflight and after flight on all my A2A aircraft , and still had flap failures in the bonanza , i have had total and isometric flap failures on short finals , at low speeds and altitude , the thing to do is recognise the symtoms , and retract the flaps again if its isomteric , so both flaps are the same , then you can regain control , i have TrackIR , so a quick left/right glance at the flaps will spot a flap failure , as the symtoms initially are like windshear/high turbulance on the aircraft.
regards alan. 8)

nojwod
Senior Airman

Post by nojwod »

There was insufficient time to survive, hence I am morta. it was a matter of just 2-3 seconds only. Perhaps with a little more altitude I would be alive today to argue the point further but alas I am not.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Une deuxième vie! I must be on my 999+ in plane simulation but I started simming at 5 years old so for many years i wasn’t taking seriously...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

nojwod wrote:I would be alive today to argue the point further but alas I am not.
Please tell us, nojwod, is there an A2A Lancaster on the other side?

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Becouse you asked so nicely. :twisted:

Rudder is your friend, its an useful control surface. :P Be ready to apply it, don't let your legs sleep.

Of course inspections and thinking about different possible things that can go wrong before they happen. 8) Its not an opportune time to train for an emergency when its happening. :)

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

patful wrote:
nojwod wrote:I would be alive today to argue the point further but alas I am not.
Please tell us, nojwod, is there an A2A Lancaster on the other side?
if death included time travel this would explain quite a lot in this world... ^^

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”