Video - Early morning flight in Alaska in VR

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Video - Early morning flight in Alaska in VR

Post by AerialShorts »

Morning flight from Nome to Tin City, AK.

A2A AT-6 Texan and an A2A Cessna 172. :D

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tn7l-rm48nM

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=tn7l-rm48nM[/youtube]
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Video - Early morning flight in Alaska in VR

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Neat and interesting combo with the 172 and the T-6 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Best VR video I've ever seen, thanks. Gauges look pretty clear to me, thought they were supposed to be blurry from everything I've read. Alas, I'm poor, can't afford a rig that can handle it right now. And turning my head that much would be a problem due to severe disc loss in my neck, so I'll just have to dream. :D

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Sweet! I have a regular Vive now but a Vive Pro is under the tree for me (shhhhh....don't tell anyone). If you don't mind me asking how did you record this?

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Wow, thanks for the compliments! If you look close you’ll see mistakes were made, though.

We flew into icing and I didnt have pitot heat on until I noticed I had lost airspeed. Also, it was choppy and I get bounced around literally since I fly on a 2 dof sim I built. That shows up in head movements. I’ve been wanting to post a clip where I have a good view of a g meter so you can see the airplane experience the chop and how that affects me. Had some latency questions about that and if it makes me sick. No latency that I can discern in VR. Just adds to the immersion.

@Lewis - we do Saturday multiplayer flights (around 6-10 of us generally) and most times people are in A2A planes. That was luck of the draw. Since we are flying a flight plan, I generally go with GPS-equipped planes. The Cessna was Zoolander64 who organizes the flights (http://digitalthemepark.blogspot.com/p/ ... er-us.html). We fly the weather at the time and I was more comfortable in the Texan. Saved my bacon too since the weather at Tin City stank with a huge crosswind, heavy fog to ground, and just feet of visibility. Got behind the power curve and at one time was full power, nose high, and slow, but I managed to save it, found the airport, and got it down in nearly a 3-pointer. The Cessna went down. We had a couple of casualties that flight due to the weather. ;-)

@Patful - thanks again. That flight was mesmerizing in VR with the low light and colors from the scheme I had loaded in REX and how ActiveSky dealt with it. There were times where the clouds and ambient sky would go pink or deep blue and it was just amazing. The video doesn’t do the experience justice since the depth isn’t there like in VR but comes close.

I know exactly what you mean about turning your head. I had neck surgery as a kid that dorked with my mobility as well. I have hat switches on my throttle that can adjust my view center to help with that. I use FSUIPC and it’s just adjusting my head/view but giving me back more normal "movement".

Since I’m running with a Vive, I use SteamVR with a single window display mirror turned on with the mirror maximized on a separate desktop in Windows 10. I record that window with OBS and then edit it using Kdenlive under Linux but that part is a bit long in the tooth and it has a hard time with the large video files.

The resolution is pretty close to what I see in the Pro. I think there is some fudging in there due to the warping and such for actual display in the headset, but the Pro was a pretty big difference in being able to read dials, placards, and gauges for me. Plus the decrease in screen door really ups the immersion.

@BrettT - you will love it! Congrats! It does take a bit more horsepower to drive it at same settings compared to the Vive, but the display quality is worth it at least for me. The headset-mounted volume control is huge for comfort on long flights / multiplayer and not having to adjust volume using the keyboard/mouse. You’ll see. Having a Vive to compare directly really lets you see the difference. Also, P3D 4.4 has "viewports" that let you see out into the real world for keyboard, kneeboard notes, or other duties. I haven’t had time to configure or used them yet and have heard Lockheed-Martin is doing a hot fix to fix something with them, but a little something extra to look forward to if you run P3D.

Cheers!
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”