How to get the A2A Garmin 295 into the spitfire (2D)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
mgr
Staff Sergeant

How to get the A2A Garmin 295 into the spitfire (2D)

Post by mgr »

Hiya,

I've been trying to get the A2A Garmin 295 into the Spitfire as 2D gauge. (Note i've the A2A 295 gauge from the pipers, texan etc).

Problem is the battery dependency that has been build in for the other aircraft, mean that it does not work with the spitfire.

Is there a way to modify the XML-code, so it's becomes battery independent?

Thx,

Marcel

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: How to get the A2A Garmin 295 into the spitfire (2D)

Post by Alan_A »

An easier workaround might be to use the Garmin 400 instead. Haven't tested it, but my guess is that it'd take power from the generator once the radio is switched on. Granted, the housing doesn't look like a portable, but since we're talking about a 2D popup, there's some loss of immersion either way. You could tell yourself it's a portable with a slightly different housing. Unfortunately, addressing the XML issues to power up the 295 is beyond me, but maybe someone else will chime in about it.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi,

In the mean time, tried to "hack" it myself and success! :mrgreen:

Changed "(L:ElecPowerGPS,bool) 1 ==" into "(L:ElecPowerGPS,bool) 0 =="

And Commented out the "<Visible>(L:ElecPowerGPS,bool)</Visible>"

So i've my A2A GPS 295 in my warbird spitfire, yeahhhh!!!! 8)

Marcel

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

What’s wrong with compass navigation and dead reckoning? Shift 5 has an excellent map as good as a 2d gps if not better
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi,
n421nj wrote:What’s wrong with compass navigation and dead reckoning? Shift 5 has an excellent map as good as a 2d gps if not better
Shift 5 is replaced by this GPS. The shift-5 is in fact a not very realistic moving map display... :roll:

Flying VFR in modern airspaces with all the boundaries (Class-A or C CTR airspaces to avoid) you really need a GPS. 8) I do fly my spitfire as a modern warbird, not in the 40's.
So a 295 in your cockpit is more realistic then a state of the art moving map display.

Regards,

Marcel

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Wow! I really do like GPSs. I've got a great Nav V that is almost a HUD on my BMW S1000XR, linked to the bike computer via the "wunderwheel" on the left handlebar. Very handy. I'd really like to have a pop-up GPS 400 in my Spitfire. What exact changes would have to be made, and in which file? I'm assuming it'll be in the aircraft.cfg. I wouldn't mind replacing the radios pop-up with the GPS, as I always just hit whichever number I need on the keyboard, and seldom fly my Spitfire under ATC control anyway. I do, however frequently fly rather convoluted flight plans through dangerous passes, etc. :D

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”