AI traffic of the fifties for FSX?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

AI traffic of the fifties for FSX?

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

I rediscovererd the Stratocruiser COTS for me and I'm going to fly this beauty all around the world with all the old style navigation methods of the Fourties and Fiftys.

One thing I'm missing is realistic AI traffic of these days. I don't want to have the modern airliners and GA planes showed so I turned off the entire FSX AI traffic. Is there any chance to add vintage traffic to FSX? There was a freeware addon for FS9 long time ago.

Any ideas for adding vintage traffic to FSX?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: AI traffic of the fifties for FSX?

Post by dvm »

Take a look at this site. I am pretty sure there flight plans available and AI aircraft.
http://www.calclassic.com/

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

Yes...I use their airport scenery (all from the 50's & 60's) and their traffic when I'm flying any of my classic airliners. Most work good in FSX but you may miss some pieces of scenery (buildings) if they were created for FS9 and have not been converted. You do have to take some care when installing and follow directions carefully. Give it a try...it's all free.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

I sometimes use a quick & lazy way to create a faux 50's-60's atmosphere when flying the 377 and the L049.

1. Kill the default AI completely.
2. Let the FSX/P3D SDKs create a GA only AI traffic file, using a few Carenado/Alabeo aircraft I have in that fleet. I use the ones that might have been flying at the same time.

It's not ideal, but I can make that change in less than a 5 minutes and it's ok for me.

I've been using C/A aircraft for a long time as AI and they do pretty well except maybe 2-3 I've run into so far. The only issue that I've really seen, is not getting greedy with the AI Traffic % sliders.

Forest
FAC257

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Yes, that was the package(s) I used in FS9: http://calclassic.com/AIAircraft.htm

Is there any chance to use that in FSX? I don't want the sceneries. Only the AI planes and their flight plans.
I don't want to mess up my perfect running system. :lol:

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Zacke wrote:Yes, that was the package(s) I used in FS9: http://calclassic.com/AIAircraft.htm

Is there any chance to use that in FSX? I don't want the sceneries. Only the AI planes and their flight plans.
I don't want to mess up my perfect running system. :lol:
I sent you a link so you could check out the site yourself. You don't have to use the scenery. There updates for FSX and P3d. I don't see how the flight plans and AI aircraft can hurt your system.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I haven't used that in forever, but don't the AI require the classic airports for the flight plans?

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

patful wrote:I haven't used that in forever, but don't the AI require the classic airports for the flight plans?
That is a good question but since the flight plan uses the airport ID it makes sense that it wouldn't matter what vintage the scenery is at the airport.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

tried out the calclassic vintage traffic and it works very well in FSX.

But there's one thing I need a workaround. The traffic files that come with the calclassic vintage traffic use a lot of vintage airports that do not exist in FSX's standard scenery. If you don't want to install a lot of vintage airport addons then there's a problem.

So my question is: Is there an easy way to edit a (FS9) traffic file to change origin and destination airports? Example: The vintage traffic does use XDEN instead of KDEN. For me the easiest workaround would be to change all "XDEN" to "KDEN" (and so on) in the traffic file. But as far as I know it's not that easy with the bgl files.

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

AIFP does that quite good.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”