Love the B17-Now Where to go?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
mllgrennman
Airman Basic

Post by mllgrennman »

I found some good departure bases in England that show 1940's military airports...But now where to go!

I can't find any wwII bases in Germany or France...

Any ideas?

Thanks

(BTW I killed my crew when I flew too high and didn't put on the masks.) :oops:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Love the B17-Now Where to go?

Post by Jacques »

You could go to this site:
http://www.8thafhs.org/grouplinks.htm

Once there, pick a Bombardment group to go to their dedicated site. Some of them have quite good detail on a mission to mission basis. You could use this information to follow on various missions over the ETO.

486th BG, in particular, has good information on their site.

Or, you could start a flight in Seattle or Long Beach or (?) and complete a delivery flight to the UK. Do a little research online about these flights and you won’t be disappointed. You will need to be on-point with your fuel and oxygen use.
A layover in Reykjavik in the Winter will require oil-dilution...all kinds of things to challenge yourself with with this aircraft. And, so many things to learn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi mllgrennman.
We at the 91st bombardment group , fly the A2A B17 modified with norton bombsight , extra views and nav equipment , we recreate ww2 bombing raids that where done by the 91stBG with the 322nd,323rd,324th and 401stBS out of bassingbourne , we have a pucker module that allows the B17 to be damaged by flak , and a hops program , you fly base colour scheme of your chosen BS while flying these ops you start as a sargeant and progress up , after phase 1 hops you get to chose your paint within the BS you are assigned to , after phase 2 hops complete , you get to fly your chosen paint , we have a training programe to teach you formation flying , break to land and formup routines , aircraft line up and takeoff at about 8 sec intervals on the bombing missions , those who had relatives in ww2 flying from bassingbourne could pick the aircraft flown by them if noone else has that paint in use.
regards vCOL alan (alan a dale) cottrill 324th CO . flying the memphisbelle 8)

mllgrennman
Airman Basic

Post by mllgrennman »

Now that's a lifetime worth of stuff to do with this bird!...I'm still just hoping for some airfield sceneries in Germany and France...for now.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, kind of a fire hose of information and ideas! Why not go to avsim and or flightsim (both sites have vast airport scenery libraries) and just meander through the possibilities for enhanced, freeware airport sceneries in Germany and wherever else you might wish to fly. I know already there are quite a few really great ones in the UK, I’m sure the rest of Europe is well represented, as well.

mllgrennman
Airman Basic

Post by mllgrennman »

Jacques wrote:I’m sure the rest of Europe is well represented, as well.
I thought that too...So far nothing...I'm surprised.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.ph ... d=68146880

For starters

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I don't think you need any places to land in Germany when you're in a B17 coming from the UK...

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

OP’s preference...that and France! :D

And speaking of France, this is a better site overall, and you can back out a bit and select from any country for sceneries you may want to add: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/france.html

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”