At what time, do you prefer to fly?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.

Poll ended at 13 Jan 2019, 10:02

I prefer flying at dawn.
33%
I prefer day time flying.
58%
I prefer flights at dusk.
4%
I prefer night flights.
4%

Total votes: 24

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

At what time do you prefer to set your sim when soaring trough the virtual skies? :wink:

Cheerz,
Vladi
Last edited by LZ-WIL on 09 Jan 2019, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: At what time, do you prefer to fly?

Post by DHenriques_ »

LZ-WIL wrote:At what time do you prefer to set your sim when soaring trough the virtual skies? :wink:

Cheerz,
Vladi
You need a third and fourth option; Dawn and Dusk.
Many sim pilots will choose these options ( confirmed by my email over time) for several reasons. First, the world view is beautiful during these periods, and secondly because choosing either one gives the sim pilot time in the air during changing conditions.
Personally I prefer dusk as for several years I flew a dusk takeoff charter flight into KPHL that involved a dusk departure and a night arrival. Sometimes I'll fly the same route in the sim just for nostalgic fun.
Dudley Henriques

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Yes, you are right Dudley. I figured it out after I submitted the poll. :)
Let me see if I can "upgrade" it.

Cheerz,
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

When my wife lets me ! :wink:

Actually I agree with Dudley I like late afternoon till dusk. Prettiest time of the day.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I'm fine anytime from dawn to dusk. Just like real life at my age, I can't see anything at night. I will fly at night on occasion, but not as often.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I usually fly real time with real world weather, so most of my flying is done in the daylight or late afternoon which turns to dusk.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I like early morning so I can watch the world light up. :)

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Echoing what Dudley said, if I take moment to set a certain time in the sim I like to start my pre-flight about 20-30 minutes before the sun comes up, so by the time I'm ready to go the initial part of my flight is at dawn, but by the time I get to where I'm going it's full daylight. Usually though I just have it set to real time.

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

I prefer to fly anytime from dawn to dusk.

I like to fly with real time weather but as my sim time is in the evenings I usually set the FSX clock to -12 hours so the aircraft clock matches the clocks in the house and I have ASN locked to sim time so it automatically pulls the historical weather. So I just delay by 12 hours.

Regards
Simon

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

I prefer to fly in real time. Flying after I get off work and other short flights are typically in real time.

On days off or the weekend, if I know I'll be flying all day in a 12-16 hour flying session, I may set the sim clock back an hour or two so that the first take-off is at dawn.
FAC257

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I usually set the sim clock to either the current local time or with a 12 hour offset and I might be flying any time of the day or night.

I don't care for night flights, but I do enjoy taking off in the dark and watching the sunrise.

I have recently been flying above the arctic circle and adjusted the clock so I was flying near noon which is the only time you see any light there in the Winter. I finally saw an actual sunrise a couple of days ago after a week of twilight. Even more exciting that watching a sunrise in the lower latitudes. :)

Hook

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I used to fly in real tone but a wife and 2 kids later means I’d only be flying during night hours. I prefer dawn so I get a hint of night then daytime. I prefer dawn over dusk because with active sky I get less turbulence. I still use real world weather regardless
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I only ever fly between 00:00 and 23:59.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Because I am never sure what time I might fly, I rarely use real time and tend to fly GA VFR day time.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I tend to fly real-time. The time I have available for simming is early in the morning, and it's fun to get things going with the virtual sunrise and the real sunrise while sipping some coffee and doing aerobatics in the P-40 or approach work in the Civ 'Stang!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”