p3d upgrade problem

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

p3d upgrade problem

Post by dvm »

Perhaps someone out there can advise me. I attempted to update my P3dV4.2 to V4.4. I screwed up and did not update to the correct folder where the v4.2 was installed. I now have the original install in it's original location and I now have the V4.4 client and content in another folder (F:P3D and F:program files P3D). What is interesting is that I went into control panel and uninstalled the P3D client and content before I attempted to update to V4.4. When I start the sim using the old exec shortcut the sim run just as it did. All the original files including the content are still in the original install folder V4.2 The new exec short cut does not let the sim load obviously because there are no scenery files for V4. I have two major questions; why did the unistall not remove the files from the original folder and what should I do with the new install folder. I regret even trying this update and went against my own edict "if it aint broke don't fix it". I would be happy just to go along with my old V4.2 but not sure what to do with the new 10GB folder. I can just ignore this new V4.4 folder and continue using the V4.2 that works fine. I have a dedicated P3d SSD so I have plenty of room on the drive but I don't like crap just sitting there. I did consider just deleting it but that may cause problems. I also considered coping all the scenery files from my old install and see if the new install will then run. Being bored can cause you to do stupid things. Not sure if you can have two installations of P3d. I am still very surprised that the old install works fine. I would appreciate anyone out there above my pay grade to chime in.

Buffy Foster

Re: p3d upgrade problem

Post by Buffy Foster »

I'd follow this guide here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4951 ... nstallers/ There's one for hooking your Orbx back up, too.

If Windows thinks your P3D is uninstalled now (in the Control Panel), maybe you can re-install your v4.2 into the right spot just so Windows can uninstall it properly? (IDK why there's not an uninstall.exe for each component of P3D.)

Then you can follow that guide I linked and everything should be OK. :)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Buffy Foster wrote:I'd follow this guide here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4951 ... nstallers/ There's one for hooking your Orbx back up, too.

If Windows thinks your P3D is uninstalled now (in the Control Panel), maybe you can re-install your v4.2 into the right spot just so Windows can uninstall it properly? (IDK why there's not an uninstall.exe for each component of P3D.)

Then you can follow that guide I linked and everything should be OK. :)
Thanks for the info. I used the guide you suggested when I tried the update in the first place. As far as the right spot my 4.2 is where I want it, the new 4.4 install is in program files. The 4.2 is by itself on F drive in a folder labeled P3D. Windows should have known where my 4.2 install was and when I used control panel to unistall it. The fact that it did not unistall it is the dilemma. My first order of business is to get rid of the new install in the F: program files. My 4.2 is running fine. If I did try another update it would be client only to my 4.2 install. If I tried the unistall entries in control panel I am not sure what will happen. I definitely don't want to screw up my existing 4.2. If that happens I will likely have to start over from scratch. I am not going to do anything until I figure out how to get rid of the new 4.4 install folder and contents. I need to find out how to get rid of the new install folder without screwing up something in the registry. I may ask in the P3D forum.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

The Windows Control Panel programs list should have teh version listed, so if it's 4.2 then you can just delete the 4.4 folder out of your Program Files, then do the steps again.

The registry keys are in both CURRENT_USER and LOCAL_MACHINE. Here's what mine look like:

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Thanks will have a serious look at it tomorrow. I took a quick look at the registry and not sure what is going on. The user and local paths do not seem to match I will have to study it more closely when I feel inspired. Will let you know what I figure out.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I am going to leave it as is for now. Someday when I feel enthusiastic and ready to take on the potential problems I may cause I will then tackle it. For now my P3DV4.2 runs fine except for the ATC grey screen. Just for fun I tried the ATC DLL file from V4.4 in 4.2....very bad ! Changed it back in a hurry. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”