CH Control problem

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
wblackret
Staff Sergeant

CH Control problem

Post by wblackret »

Good morning all! Is anyone experiencing controllers occasionally not being recognized in FSX-SE (W10)? They appear in device manager as Unspecified Devices. On occasion, after starting FSX-SE, the controllers do not appear under the Controls tab, only Mouse Yoke. Puzzled. Also, I have them plugged into a powered USB, not the front of my HP computer.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: CH Control problem

Post by dvm »

In my experience not unusual for this to occur. I would first try removing and re-plugging the device into the USB port you are using and if that doesn't help try a direct port on your PC. Remember a hub is only using one port on your MB and you may have more than one device plugged into the hub. It is best to use a USB port directly associated with your MB. When I used CH stuff I always had the CH control manager software installed and it eliminated all the problems you are having for me. You don't have to use the programing features of the software to obtain the connection stability that it affords. Not sure how up to date the software is but it used to work fine for me.

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

I’ve been having similar problems with my CH quadrant. New build moving up to Win10. I also used to use the CH control manager in Windows 7. I Believe it’s no longer being supported under Windows 10. So instead, I’ve been using FSUIPC. Yoke and rudder pedals I have set up, and they seem to be behaving themselves. The quadrant on the other hand, is being very finicky. I’ve been able to get it to work reliably with the GA aircraft, but the multi engine and warbirds are a different story.

Marv

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Thanks for the replies. I did a little more research regarding windows 10 and CH products. It is also recommended to change power settings, first disable fast boot, starting windows after shutdown. Apparently during fast boot some settings and such are missed, especially if windows puts the devices to sleep. Thus the second recommendation of going to device manager/ch controls, clicking properties on each device, then going to Power management and uncheck allowing windows to put devices to sleep. I did both, takes a little bit longer for windows to boot up, but after sitting idle for a couple hours, controls plugged in but not used, and then fired up FSX-SE. Controllers are still recognized. Maybe that solved my problem. Will get back to this thread if not.

Thanks
Bill Black

MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I had problems, but when I stopped using a powered USB hub and just plugged them in the back of my PC everything worked nice.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Yeah, went strait to computer and bipassed the powered usb. So far, so good Buffy! I still recall that on occasion, if I left controlers plugged in for a while, the system didn’t see them. I attribute that to windows putting them to sleep, to reduce power consumption. So I am leaving the device manager setting I did n place. Left them plugged in overnight, system still recognized them.
Bill Black

MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup I can vouch for the hub problem. Come across it many times in my old tech support job and since then many times for simmers here and in the wider community. They are great when they work but its sometimes best to buy somewhat cheap powered hubs, so you can always replace easily and always disconnect in times of troubleshooting.

My own experience is that powered hubs tend to last a lot longer than non powered types

cheers,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

If it were my PC I would turn off the USB power saving feature in any event which would eliminate one potential problem area right out of the box.
Go to control panel, power options,change plan settings,change advanced settings, from the window select USB settings then USB suspend settings and then change from enabled to disabled and your done. If you have a laptop you have both on battery and plugged in options for this.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Yes, I agree, and that’s what I did via device manager. Putting things to “sleep” may be useful for laptop applications, saving battery power over time, but I see no use for it in a desk top application.
Bill Black

MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I may be wrong but I think if you disable in device manager you may only be disabling it for that particular device. I know the method I listed will disable it for any USB device on your system.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

You are quite right, I also did that too. May be double kill but, oh well!
Bill Black

MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

You are quite right, I also did that too. May be double kill but, oh well!
Bill Black

MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”