Forums access appears to be slow since yesterday....

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Forums access appears to be slow since yesterday....

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Since yesterday, Wednesday Feb 6, the forum pages (old forums) are loading slower that 'normal'....
I usually see them appear almost instantly. Did you move the 'old forums' to a
different server?

In any case, I hope you take note of the deficiencies of the 'new forum' compared to
the old (current) forums.

Currently one can see at a glance which forums contain threads that one has not yet read,
simply by observing the little airplane icon. The new forums offer no such thing and require
that you read the last post info on the far right of the page and then look at the far left
of the page to see which topic that info belongs to. An absolute nightmare!

The current forums have the 'Mark forum read' or 'Mark topics read' function so that one can
see which topics contain new posts the next time the forums are visited. The new forums offer
no such ability.

The current forums have a "Board Index" as well as the path to the currently viewed forum so
one can easily move back 'to the top' of the current forum or the forum page index. No such
convenience was preset with the new forums.

I find the avatars on both the left and right side of the new forum pages to just add 'clutter'
to the page without adding any real functionality. The little aircraft icon really needs to be
incorporated in the new format.

The text info as to the topic starter and the last poster is much more desirable than avatars of
those persons.

In short, the current, 'old' forums, IMO, are ideal for meeting the purpose of a forum as well
as providing rapid access and the ability to see at a glance which topics have unread posts,
saving the user from having to read information on the right side and then back to the left side
of each and every topic!

Again, it it ain't broke, don't fix it !

Paul

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Forums access appears to be slow since yesterday....

Post by LZ-WIL »

Yes,

Current forums, load twice the time they used to. May be it is the connection between US and Europe, but like Gypsy Baron said it was faster...

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Not sure what's happening here. The forum looks the same(good) I expected some mobile phone lookalike. It may be my imagination or Firefox's latest update but it seems, no, is, snappier.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Works normal for me too now, must have been in my TV set. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Ron, as far as I can tell this IS still the old forum. I think some maintenance is occuring in the background to make sure the new forum, when it is brought back, will be more snappy!

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Jacques wrote:Ron, as far as I can tell this IS still the old forum. I think some maintenance is occuring in the background to make sure the new forum, when it is brought back, will be more snappy!
Oh, so it will look like a mobile phone app then. Bugger. :roll:
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Yes nothing seems to have changed.It was supposed to be on the fifth of Feb but it still seems the same.

Cheers chris
I hear ya Ron but we are souls crying in the wilderness.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, change happens, things look a little different... and then they move back to normal again! 8)

Mark - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Mark - A2A »

Hi guys,

To clarify the cause of poor forum performance within the last day, we coincidentally had an issue with a large number of bots crawling the forums which was overloading the server. We have taken steps to prevent further connections and the performance issue should now be fixed. :)

Thanks,
Mark

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Mark - A2A wrote:Hi guys,
To clarify the cause of poor forum performance within the last day, we coincidentally had an issue with a large number of bots crawling the forums which was overloading the server. We have taken steps to prevent further connections and the performance issue should now be fixed. :)
Speed is indeed back to normal (= fast)

Thx,

Marcel

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”