GCA Utility

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

GCA Utility

Post by ratty »

Somewhat clumsy first try with GCA utility from Manfred Jahn et al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n50BbZc ... e=youtu.be

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Re: GCA Utility

Post by wblackret »

You made it brother! Who said “Close” only counts when 0laying horse shoes!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

AmazonChitlin
Airman

Post by AmazonChitlin »

Back when I was in the Army I was an air traffic controller. I was a shift supervisor in a GCA and also helped set up the approaches at new sites. Fun stuff! I'll have to try it out!

Included is a picture of our GCA in Iraq before we remoted it into a building. So this is in the back of a HMMWVImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

I worked USAF GCA years ago in Spain. Your video is highly realistic and brings back all kinds of memories.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Here's an interesting read about old-school GCA in a C-124. https://disciplesofflight.com/zero-zero/

Seeya
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Years ago when things were a bit more lax where ATC was concerned we used to take students over to KPHL around 4AM for night practice. ATC was usually not busy at that hour and we could ask them for precision radar, surveillance radar, and even no-gyro approaches. It was great practice for us AND for ATC.
Dudley Henriques

Snorre
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Snorre »

Over here in Europe, most planes in the Forces (in the 1980 years) had no ILS. So the GCA was the most used way to get down at a military base. And our controllers were mostly very very good at getting us down in bad weather!
Gunter

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:Years ago when things were a bit more lax where ATC was concerned we used to take students over to KPHL around 4AM for night practice. ATC was usually not busy at that hour and we could ask them for precision radar, surveillance radar, and even no-gyro approaches. It was great practice for us AND for ATC.
Dudley Henriques
We did the same thing years ago at KLGB with my C210. However, they were ASR (Airport Surveillance Radar) approaches rather than PAR.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”