This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

On the PPrune forum there are a lot of posts about today being the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the 747. I remember the first time I saw a 747 because I got a parking ticket. It was in Memphis and a 747 flew in as an exhibition at the newly expanded airport. The new part of the airport had an elevated arrival roadway and we all parked there and went in to admire the new airport and look at the airplane. The airport was so new they hadn't installed parking meters which they did while we were all inside. As you might expect, after the meters were installed, they came along and gave everybody a ticket.

It was a big stink in the local paper that kind of overshadowed the news of the 747. Eventually the tickets were voided., but it sure was a big airplane, and still is.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: 747

Post by dvm »

I find it interesting how the commercial transport model has evolved since the 747 was introduced. The 747 and the A380 are both on their way out for I am sure lot's of reasons. A couple that come to mind are the expense of feeding four engines and the limited routes that are viable for airplanes that big. I do think the 747 had a better run than the 380 as the 380 was more of a vanity creation that came too late. I too remember when the 747 was first introduced and how impressed I was. I have done quite a bit of airline travel in the last 50 years but have never flown on a 747 which is a good example of the limited routes for airplanes that big.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Back when the 747 was first introduced, a friend and I were out late at night (about 2 AM) and went by Dallas Love Field (KDAL) to check out the first 747 that landed there. We were chatting with one of the night crew and he offered to show us around inside the airplane, including the cockpit. It was definitely impressive.

Imagine that kind of thing happening today.

Hook

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Talking of 747's have you seen this awesomeness!

747 in classic BOAC livery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKE8kOvCHJk

It looks totally stunning!!! 8) 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jetranger7
Senior Airman

Post by Jetranger7 »

I got to sit in an old Evergreen 747-400 model in the Cockpit, up at the Airport in Kansas City, just a few days before they trash it for scrap, sitting in the Cockpit it was smaller than I had visioned it to be.

Then I had to walk all the way thru the 747 to the back, while workers were ripping the guts out of it, didn't quite seem as long as I thought it would.

As much as I'd like to of bought it before it went to the scrap heap,, I just didn't feel that A2A Members would be willing to give me the money, nor, my Mommy either,,, lunch money more less !!

Anyway the Evergreen 747-400 went to the Scrap heap within a few weeks after my visit to see it at the tear down facility.

Also, my Driveway wasn't really Big Enough to park it in, think the neighbors might of complained, maybe ??

Wijnand
Airman Basic

Post by Wijnand »

The 747.

I still remember 1980, me visiting Schiphol because someone told me there is a promenade with a magnificent view on airplanes and a hot-dog stand (bit overpriced, but who cares :D )

Then I saw this big blue KLM 747-200 (the version with the short upperdeck, but already 7 (or 10??) windows; taxing straight at me before turning to a gate.
From that momet on I fell in love and boom, a hobby was born!

From that promenade, in those days, you would see on one side a row of res Nortwest-tails (747 and dc-10's) and on the opposite side the same, but then in blue KLM.

Keep the virtul skies safe!!

Wijnand

McDonnell-Douglas
Senior Airman

Post by McDonnell-Douglas »

The Boeing 747, the original 'Jumbo Jet'. The first and last commercially successful aircraft of its size (to date) and the first true intercontinental jet transport.

Let us not forget that this month it is also the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the equally revolutionary Concorde - 2 March 1969.

Additionally, it is the 50th anniversary of the SFTI program, the United States Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program -3 March 1969. Some of you may know it as TOPGUN.

Lastly, this June will be the 100th anniversary of the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic. Let these historic aviation achievements inspire you in 2019 :mrgreen:

Colin

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”