I found better online charts than Skyvector

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Hook
Master Sergeant

I found better online charts than Skyvector

Post by Hook »

Skyvector was giving me 504 errors this morning so I went searching for other online aeronautical charts and this is what I found:

https://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/

Some features:

You can make the display full screen which makes it use your entire desktop. You can alt-tab out to the sim without problems.
You can zoom in closer than you can in Skyvector making details easier to see.
If there are TAC charts in the area you're looking, you can tell the program to overlay them on the chart seamlessly, or use the default chart.
You can plan fights but it's a little different from Skyvector. You enter an expected ground speed and the program calculates time from distance. It does not take into account wind, although there may be another part of the flight planning that does. Other than that all the necessary features are there.
Directions are given in True, not magnetic, more like using a real world paper chart.
You can switch the display to street maps or street maps with terrain elevations.

This is apparently part of Google Maps.

Play around with it a bit and see what all it does. I may do initial planning on Skyvector and then transfer the plan to iflightplanner and use that for the actual chart when I'm in the sim.

Has anyone else used this?

Hook

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: I found better online charts than Skyvector

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I've noticed this morning EEST time that skyvector.com was not loading too. Nice find, no Europe though.

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Skyvector is loading for me now.

I just noticed that the charts were only for the US including Alaska.

Radar and cloud coverage overlays are available. No winds aloft that I could find. Some different data available than with Skyvector. Some things are more convenient, others less so.

Interesting in any case.

Hook

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Good find Hook. I’ve added it to my aviation planning list. I also use AirNav and vfrmap.com. They’re are both pretty nice. Sky Vector is fine too, but I find it quirky sometimes on my iPad. Thanks!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I had a look at vfrmap and it is pretty good, but no flight planning. On my system it loads a bit slower than iFlightPlanner.

Airnav used to have charts like Skyvector does now and that's what I originally used. You can get most of the same airport information in iFlightPlanner, but I haven't explored that part much.

Of course if you aren't in the US then iFlightPlanner won't be of much use. :)

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

It looks like this is going to turn out to be nagware.

AmazonChitlin
Airman

Post by AmazonChitlin »

I'm a fan of fltplan.com. I use it for real world flight planning. For flightsim I wont submit the flight plan (obviously), but it's great to see recently filed flight plans between two airports. It's nice for smaller airports that may be hard to find on flightaware

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OccamsRazor
Airman First Class

Post by OccamsRazor »

Can't click on graphical Airmets/Sigmets to read the text version. Can't view PIREPs. Can't see TFRs. Can't enter airways into your route. Highlighting of Special Use Airspace is something that Skyvector doesn't have that would be really handy. Can't view recently used routes between two airports.

I like the interface, but the features needs a lot of work, and it only has US charts unlike Skyvector which is worldwide (although admittedly, data outside the US is sometimes inaccurate on Skyvector.)
ImageImageImage

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

For what it's worth, I'm back to using Skyvector. :)

There are a few things that iFlightPlanner does that I like, and there may be times when I'll use it, but Skyvector is my go-to chart service. iFlightPlanner only had to display a nag screen once and I haven't booted it since. It's still worth a look.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”