P3D "update"?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
brettt777
Airman

P3D "update"?

Post by brettt777 »

Okay, call me an idiot but I took this to mean that this "updater" would make all of our old FSX A2A purchases P3D compatible. NOT!!! Don't know if I am willing to spend $60 each for planes I already have (that didn't cost $60 each) just to fly them in a different sim.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P3D "update"?

Post by jcblom »

I share your pain, and no I'm not doing it either
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Yes, it's sad that A2A hasn't decided for a more customer-friendly solution like most other developers. In fact, only A2A and PMDG treat customers like this and do not offer a noticable discount when upgrading from FSX to P3Dv4.

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

The planes still work in FSX, don’t they? So what’s the problem?

Ahh, you want all the bells and whistles in P3D.
Did you pay for P3D? Why? Aren’t you entitled to get a free upgrade from FSX? :roll:
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

I am just starting to set up P3D and I was a bit overwhelmed by the cost, too.
No question, the effort to convert and develop for P3D must be honored, but I wish there was another option than just paying full price again (minus Flight hours) for customers that own the fsx version. So I actually bought the Connie twice.

I've spent money worse in my life than on this, I admit :-)
I know this is actively founding upcoming projects to enjoy and the people who work on them.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Tim-HH wrote: like most other developers.
Which? maybe those whose systems depth stop when research and development work would start?

PMDG, A2A and FSLabs charge the full price again, If you count QW as HQ addon they do it too. and maybe except the 3D model they had to do the whole work again for the change to 64 bit. PMDG charge(d) for the switch from FSX to P3D, so does/did FSL. A2A had their aircraft working even in P3Dv3.4 and now as everything or at least the majority had to be done from scratch, they want their work to be paid out. A2A is a business, not a charity. Majestics' Q400 is the only addon with a system depth comparable to A2A that comes with upgrade prices.

A2A offer flight hours that are calculated into the price as a discount. I have had all the FSX aircraft until the C172 and got the spitfire completely for free... AND even had some Euros left after that..

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Well, the good news is, I originally bought the Cherokee for P3Dv2 bundled with FSX and when I recently upgraded to P3Dv4 I didn't have to buy a new Cherokee.

I fly several non-A2A aircraft because I like bush planes and A2A only makes one. I didn't have to pay extra for any of the updates for P3Dv4 on these although one had been discontinued and I had to do the conversion myself. All these aircraft I originally bought for FSX. They don't have the systems depth of A2A but sometimes I prefer a simpler aircraft.

If it helps on the pricing, the Academic and Professional versions of the A2A aircraft are said to be identical, with only the pricing and license being different.

I don't mind buying a new version for an updated sim but it would be nice if an update had a better price break than exists, at least the difference between the FSX version and the FSX/P3D bundle version.

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just a reminder, that we have a customer loyalty program on the store for discounts + unlike those developers that do not charge, we have not charged a anything for P3D upgrades if you purchase 172 for P3Dv2 you have not had to pay anything all the way to v4 including all the new updates and features that come) where as those studios that do offer discounts tend to then charge again on different P3D versions.

So the elephant in the room; The payment tends to be the same just different business practices for at which point you pay, be it a single one off or a lower but more often upgrade through the life of the product.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

MarcE wrote:Which? maybe those whose systems depth stop when research and development work would start?
How about Leonardo SH, Majestic Software or Flight1. Their addons are among the best and all offer their FSX customers a discounted upgrade path to P3Dv4. FSLabs was doing the same in the beginning. As you say, the 3D model, the textures and other parts are more or less identically. That's why most developers only charge their customers for the new parts and the work that was involved with the conversion.
Lewis - A2A wrote:Just a reminder, that we have a customer loyalty program on the store for discounts + unlike those developers that do not charge, we have not charged a anything for P3D upgrades if you purchase 172 for P3Dv2 you have not had to pay anything all the way to v4 including all the new updates and features that come) where as those studios that do offer discounts tend to then charge again on different P3D versions.
I'm not aware of a single developer who handled it this way. If a developer released a dedicated P3D version in the past, the P3Dv4 version was normally free of charge. But usually FSX and P3Dv2/3 are considered as one version and then there is an upgrade path to the P3Dv4 version. Only very few developers force their customers, who want to switch from FSX to P3D, to buy the P3D version at full price.

I highly appreciate the A2A loyalty program! But in my view it is not a substitute for a discounted upgrade path.

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Tim-HH wrote:Only very few developers force their customers, who want to switch from FSX to P3D, to buy the P3D version at full price.
Force? :shock:

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I think that what most forget is that moving a complex aircraft such as A2A's Accu-Sim to a 64bit platform is much more labor intensive than slapping a new sticker on the box.

A2A is not the only manufacture that has put more time and effort into the 64bit platform. HiFi Simulations spent a fair amount of time and created a new weather engine with ASP4. Yes, you get to buy the newer version if YOU wish to move forward. Pete Dawson re-wrote FSUIPC to make it work with P3Dv4.x 64bit platform and yes, you get to purchase this as well.

Then, as Medtner states, it is not a simple upgrade to 64bit platform. There are items added now that the resources are available. All this takes time to program. Then the Beta testers get to play with them and report back issues, reprogram, restest, etc.

I was a FSX user prior to moving to P3Dv4 and I was not happy spending the money I did to move forward. However, it was MY choice to move and it cost dearly to do so. For me, it was well worth the expense. I fly A2A aircraft for the detailed management that it offers. So far each aircraft that I have repurchased for P3Dv4 has had extra features that FSX did not have.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

WB_FlashOver wrote:I think that what most forget is that moving a complex aircraft such as A2A's Accu-Sim to a 64bit platform is much more labor intensive than slapping a new sticker on the box.

A2A is not the only manufacture that has put more time and effort into the 64bit platform. HiFi Simulations spent a fair amount of time and created a new weather engine with ASP4. Yes, you get to buy the newer version if YOU wish to move forward. Pete Dawson re-wrote FSUIPC to make it work with P3Dv4.x 64bit platform and yes, you get to purchase this as well.

Then, as Medtner states, it is not a simple upgrade to 64bit platform. There are items added now that the resources are available. All this takes time to program. Then the Beta testers get to play with them and report back issues, reprogram, restest, etc.

I was a FSX user prior to moving to P3Dv4 and I was not happy spending the money I did to move forward. However, it was MY choice to move and it cost dearly to do so. For me, it was well worth the expense. I fly A2A aircraft for the detailed management that it offers. So far each aircraft that I have repurchased for P3Dv4 has had extra features that FSX did not have.
This is an excellent and very informative post. Thank you sir.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I bought Active Sky's ASP4 when I got P3Dv4. They offered an upgrade discount of $20 less than the full version $50 if you had an earlier version of Active Sky. In other words the upgrade was 60% of the full price.

Hook

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Unfortunately we tend to see P3D and FSX as the same sim, regardless of version number. Nobody would argue against buying again for X-PLANE if A2A began developing for that series.

Personally I'm holding off on P3D until version 5 so I don't have to buy P3D all over again to upgrade from version 4. Such is the nature of the hobby, going back to the heyday of Microsoft Flight Simulator when there was a new version every two years.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Great googly-moogly, this coercion gets old.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”