A Youtube Channel

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Keith Douglass
Airman Basic

A Youtube Channel

Post by Keith Douglass »

Hello Everyone! I was thinking of starting up a youtube channel dedicated to flight simulation. Though unlike some of the others i hope to cover things like GA and Vintage Aircraft. To start off the Channel my idea was to do either a B-17 flight around the world with no GPS or Map and use the original Avionics. Or do the same with the Constellation though do it with the actual flights from the time period. My only question is if anyone would actually be interested in it, if it is a concept that would be approved or just swept aside. Do note I only run FSX Steam with only a few addons to improve the scenery.

EDIT: I was also thinking of maybe doing a Bonanza flight around the world with Accusim repairs and all that.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: A Youtube Channel

Post by Hook »

I might be interested in the B-17 world tour with period avionics. An interesting flight would be a polar route, starting from Hawaii and flying north and eventually crossing both the north and south geographic poles which was done the first time in a 707. Flying a more normal route would be easier though. :) If you don't have enough range, you can cross the Atlantic via Greenland, the Azores or Ascension Island.

If you are thinking about flying the Bonanza around the world, plan the flight across the Pacific to the Aleutians first. Make sure you have enough range and there are enough airports. I believe UHPP in Kamchatka has fuel and you can get there from Hokkaido then fly to PASY. Crossing the Atlantic is easier as there are a couple of routes that go through Greenland. I did that fight in a Beaver with a 450 mile max range across central Greenland, but you should be able to fly through Narsarsuaq with the extra range in the Bonana.

Good luck!

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I just measured Hokkaido to Kamchatka. RJCM to UHPP is 793 nautical miles and both have fuel. That should be the longest leg you'd have to fly.

Hook

Keith Douglass
Airman Basic

Post by Keith Douglass »

Hook wrote:I just measured Hokkaido to Kamchatka. RJCM to UHPP is 793 nautical miles and both have fuel. That should be the longest leg you'd have to fly.

Hook
Rightyo man thanks! I know IF i do it the Bonanza the biggest issue would be fuel and such. But the shorter legs would allow for more episodes or maybe depending on the legs doing 4 Legs a week. Kinda new to youtube but figured I'd like to try it out. Not new to editing and such.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Just like in the real world, someone planning a world tour gets advice from someone who has already done it. :)

If you've never done much world travel, be aware that it is essential to set LOD_radius down one notch from max to avoid out of memory errors when the sim loads a new regional texture set. I've had OOMs passing KEPM in either direction and when flying Rome to Athens about 90 miles or so out of Athens. One area that's virtually guaranteed an OOM is a flight from LIPQ to LDRI to LDZD near LDRI when you have three different regional texture sets loaded at the same time. Dropping LOD_radius, texture size and autogen by one notch from max allows you to fly over any kind of scenery without problems, at least in the stock game. At LDRI even saving the game didn't help because VAS jumped 900 meg twice in just a few minutes with LOD_radius set at max.

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sounds like a cracking idea, I do like the idea of the B-17 using WW2 nav aids and what not :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep us posted with what you decide to do.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I did a round the world trip in the A2A C172 , it took me 3 months from start to finish , every flight was recorded on twitch , sadly all have been deleted , as i did not know about saveing as highlight , but all repairs and faults where recorded in the A2A C172 section of the forum , along with original intended route and modified parts of route , where i found i had military bases instead of civil or civil/military joint airfields , all done on vatsim , started and finished at KSEA with real weather using ASN , the longest route was between to russian airfields , and had to wait for favourable winds , as it was on the extream limit of the C172 range , this is a very baron airfield area in FSXA , good luck on your adventure , which ever aircraft you use.
regards alan. 8)

Keith Douglass
Airman Basic

Post by Keith Douglass »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Sounds like a cracking idea, I do like the idea of the B-17 using WW2 nav aids and what not :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep us posted with what you decide to do.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
Hey thanks! I am going to be starting off with the Boeing B-17 Starting in Hawaii and flying over the north pole, going south to the south pole then flying back up to Hawaii. The hardest part is going to be Making sure I have all my flight plans set up.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”