The start of hopefully many

A Living Legend
dafraz48
Airman First Class

Re: The start of hopefully many

Post by dafraz48 »

Jacques, thanks for the info. Wasn't aware that Short Arm had flown most of her missions with the 835th. I'm guessing her nose woulda been green like Miss B. Havin. Would explain the "discrepancies" I've seen on the net in repaints for other games and whatnot. I based mine on some color photos I've found via googling.

I might have to change my (just released) paint, I just caught some writing on the lower port wing instead of the chevron I put on there. If I can read it better I can fix it.

Really thinking of just sayin "screw it" and leaving it.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

The start of hopefully many

Post by Jacques »

Hi Dafraz! Things were certainly confused towards the end of the war, so your representation is not necessarily out of step with what you might have seen at the time. Aircraft were transferred often and with little notice. There probably would have been little concern for repainting the nose band green if it arrived to the Squadron painted blue. After a while it may have indeed been painted green, but who knows? (Edit here- the color picture you have in your post above is taken after the war has ended, and the nose band is definitely blue and not green!). Same with the prop bosses. For instance, the yellow stripes on the fuselage and even the red/blue chevron may have been painted directly over bomb group codes (fuselage) or squadron code (the square W on the wings) from the previous paint directive calling for bare metal aircraft. I think they were more concerned with getting planes in the air and not so much about getting them to look like all the rest in the squadron. I'm just happy that the 486th and other lesser known bombardment groups are finally getting representation by fine painters such as Jan Kees Blom and yourself!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

Hello everyone. After doing some more research on some less known planes, I've finished up another one. This is "Sweet Rose O'grady," of the 303rd. She flew 124 missions, apparently the most of that unit. Showing her later in life with some faded paint and weathering. Comment welcome, of course.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Looking good Dafraz. I especially like the weathered, war weary paints.

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

The first of my repaints of "lesser known" Forts, "Holy Terror III" of the 100th BG, 351st BS. And yes, the blue fuselage codes are correct. The 351st used them for a while.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for your continued repainting attention on the B-17G you have created a collection in your own right, great job!

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

I assume that one is familiar with the B-17 "5 Grand," the 5000th Fort from Boeing. Well, this isn't it. This is the 4999th B-17 from out of the Boeing plant. "Lassie Come Home" of the 367th BS, 306th BG. Another of the "less well known."

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

Had done this one a while back, but was trying to find out more info on it. It is one of the rare B-17 assembly ships.

Here's what I found out about it. It is assembly ship B-17G-5-VE 42-39914 "The Black Bitch" of the 351st BG. It was initially assigned as "Lucky Strike" and marked RQ-S of the 509th BS on 20 Jan 1944. She completed 38 missions and on 8 June 1944 landed and tore off a main wheel. Repaired and assigned to Grp HdQtrs. On 15 April 1945 it took part in a mission over Royan with the 351st BG. Returned Stateside on 6th June 1945 and was sent to Kingman AFB, AZ to be scrapped on 9 November 1945. Painted "Automotive Black" all over and had an over-large White Triangle and Blue Letter J on the vertical stabilizer and rudder.

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

Finishing up another. This is admittedly a more well known one. B-17G-15-BO 42-31412 "Mason and Dixon" of the 351st BS / 100th BG. Also had the Sky Blue fuselage codes. Named loosely after it's original pilot Capt Floyd Mason and navigator Capt Bill Dishion. Available soon at my usual places (SOH and Avsim.) Keep an eye out.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh a Thorpe Abbots bird, what a beaut! :)

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

For the oh, like 1 person curious, I've not stopped. My FSX install went to poo, shortly after the Mason and Dixon release and right before the Thanksgiving holiday. That, and some personal stuff have delayed repaints from me till probably after the new year. Not to fret, I'm pretty sure I've managed to fix my flight sim woes, put 2 hours on my '17 last night on a short hop from Thorpe Abbots to Bassingbourn and back.

The FSX crash also cost me a lot of research on my "less famous" planes, which sucks. So if you're reading this, feel free to send me any info on pretty much any "G" you think needs recreated to honor those who flew them. I'm partial to the 100th BG planes, and 15th AF planes are more than welcome, they're fun.

Thanks all. Keep em flying.

~Will

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Keep 'em coming Will. Glad you have the FSX issue fixed. Please tell the rest of us the secret if you get life to run smoothly all the time too. :D

There is no shortage of people downloading the B-17 paints, and we all look forward to your next one.
-mike

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

I've been wanting to get this one done for a while. It's coming along.

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

Oh, hello there....

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You keep painting them I'll keep flying them 8) Thanks for the repaints,

cheers,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”