Looking for Some Resources.

A Living Legend
new reply
Keith Douglass
Airman Basic

Looking for Some Resources.

Post by Keith Douglass »

Hello everyone! I'm looking for US WW2 Airfield scenery, mainly looking to do a B-17G flight around the world starting from Hawaii and heading north across the north pole then going to head down south around the south pole and back to hawaii. any tips or help on equipment and programs needed would be great.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Looking for Some Resources.

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I beleave there is a sextant , for star and sun type of navigation , and we use a modified weathership gauge that might be found on avsim/flightsim, as for airfields , you could try google search for FSX ww2 scenery / airfields , AVSIM and FLIGHTSIM and SOH might have what you seek , we at the 91st bombardment group have scenery that we use on bomb runs or our hop programe.
Some of your legs on this trip will be long ones , do not use time excelleration on these trips , it plays havoc with A2A aircraft.
regards alan. 8)

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Keith Douglass wrote:Hello everyone! I'm looking for US WW2 Airfield scenery, mainly looking to do a B-17G flight around the world starting from Hawaii and heading north across the north pole then going to head down south around the south pole and back to hawaii. any tips or help on equipment and programs needed would be great.
Hi Keith,

I have flown around the world in my B-17 in real time and in real world weather trying to land in at least one airport in each territory, province, or state of each country in the world. It was quite an arduous undertaking. It took over two years to complete, flying at least 5-6 days a week.

It will take precise fuel management and diligent oxygen usage. I ran into issues with not enough oxygen, but since I made this trek in modern times, I fudged it and simulated carrying extra oxygen on board. I just barely made it to some destinations flying on vapours. You can't just put the B-17 in auto pilot and leave it. You will end up way off course, and possibly crash if you are not there to manage the systems. If I was not able to complete the extremely long legs, I saved the flight and resumed the next day. There are navigation anomalies in FSX when you are close to the poles that can really throw you off.

I use the FSX GPS. I think it would be extremely difficult to do it with old style navigation. I certainly don't have the smarts for that. There are also terrain issues in some areas if you have mesh installed such as plateaus and holes. Some airports are just the runway with water all around it. Some of the mountain airports have extremely difficult approaches for a B-17. You pretty much need to have a gps to see the passage ways through the mountains that will lead you to the runway. I had to bypass some of these airports because they were impossible to get into.

Weather is a huge factor. I had to bypass some airports and find alternates. This is especially true in the already difficult mountain airports. You have to make sure your aircraft is mechanically fit before you leave on the routes to Antarctica etc..I replaced two of my older engines before I left just to be safe. There is no where to divert to if you have problems.

Here is a copy of my flight plan I used that may be of some help to you when you plan your trip. I used google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 711514&z=7

Bill

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

For airfields check out Ian P as author for a bunch of WW2 airfields that will prove useful for you. Jankees and many other talented artists have created hundreds of repaints for the B-17 that will be worth looking into for sure.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”